Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2012

L124C is on a distinguished road
Re: Boat Bondage!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaliasvejas View Post
I get surges all the time...really
I am tied up on a comercial dock, 25' under me, on average, so when the swell is running, she prances...
The water literally moves along the dock about 6' back and forth. The only workable solution for me are long, stretchy spring lines. I dont mind the boat moving, a few feet at the most, but if you let her pick up speed, she will ripp the lines and take the dock with her. So, the idea is to dampen the motion, without presenting anything hard to oppose it. Spring lines do it best... and vertically hung fenders, allowing the boat to roll.
You use loose dock lines as well, I assume?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-10-2012

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road

L124C, Where was this guest dock? Was it the public dock at the Ferry Building? I've heard a lot of nasty things about it. So much, that MrsB prefers to use South Beach's guest dock and walk to the farmer's market.
Old 12-05-2012

luck66 is on a distinguished road

To tie up to a public dock I use large fenders, spring line and snubber on both bow and sturn line. This seems to work well for me.
Old 12-05-2012
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road

I tie my boat up so that the lines are just loose enough to prevent them from being stretched, but tight enough so that there's not much obvious slack. This allows the boat to move a bit, but without building much momentum before the lines one one side or the other begin to take up some strain and start to stretch. I also keep the spring lines a bit tighter than the bow and stern lines. That way the longest lines (i.e., the spring lines) are the ones taking most of the load, so their greater length can absorb more of the "shock" loads. Since my slip has fingers on both sides, I can keep the boat from contacting either side, and use fenders more ore less as a last "line of defense"
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt
Old 12-05-2012

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

I let mine pretty loose. Try and work it on the springs. And I try to make it so the boat stands off the dock. Seem times can be done with rudder position and bow and stern lines.

But I have noticed a lot cinching them right up.
Old 12-05-2012

CaptTom is on a distinguished road

A couple of things that, based on what I see at most docks, a lot of people don't seem to know. (1) A dock line that's held up fine for weeks during settled weather, can chafe through in a very short time when exposed to rapid movements. Especially where there is any kind of turn or riding over even a smooth edge. (2) Nylon dock lines have a lot of stretch, especially three-strand but not as much with double-braid. The longer the line, the more shock loading it will absorb. Spring lines should be as long as possible, and no lines should go directly from the cleat at a 90 degree angle to another cleat below it.

The fact that the crew of the large yacht above didn't know this shows their inexperience.
outbound likes this.