Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

Like Tree30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2012

steel is on a distinguished road
Re: who had right away?

Quote:
If your sails are up, you may be considered not under command,
If your sails are down and you're sitting there with the engine stopped could you be considered not under command? In the lake here if somebody is out drifting in their boat fishing everybody just avoids them which makes perfect sense. Is there a day shape for NUC, and is it proper to display it if you walked away from your stopped engine for fishing or something? There isn't a rule for boats which are drifting like there is for manually powered, wind powered, and engine powered is there?

If you stop the engine and paddle a few times, do you become a manually powered boat?

If you had a steel hulled 27' with 1/8" plating, how much would that improve things in the event of a collision with a lobster boat?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-01-2012

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Tend to? More like, almost always. Why? Because no one has "right of way" in this situation (and certainly not "right away").

There is a "give-way" vessel, and there is a "stand-on" vessel, but in the end BOTH have the responsibility to avoid a collision. If you "stand-on" all the way into a collision, when you could have done something to avoid it, then you are just as much at fault as the "give-way" vessel that didn't.

I think that too many people believe this is like driving a car, and that if they have "right of way" then any accident that happens is going to be considered the other guy's fault. Nope. Doesn't work that way. Not even close.
AMEN!!!

When ever I hear someone use the term "Right of Way" as related to boats I immediately assume, perhaps incorrectly, that he/she has no clue as to the COLREGS...

They may, have a clue, I just automatically jump to "stupid is as stupid does" when I hear those three words abrading my ears........
chef2sail likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 11-01-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
AMEN!!!

When ever I hear someone use the term "Right of Way" as related to boats I immediately assume, perhaps incorrectly, that he/she has no clue as to the COLREGS...
I'm sure you are right to some degree. I will bet most boaters have never actually read any part of the COLREGS. At best, they were taught these rules in some other type of formal training.

However, I think the term right-of-way is often used as slang for the concept of stand-on and give-way, but doesn't suggest as much a misunderstanding of the rules as we may think.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Last edited by Minnewaska; 11-01-2012 at 11:46 AM.
Old 11-01-2012

jackdale will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Tend to? More like, almost always. Why? Because no one has "right of way" in this situation (and certainly not "right away").
Absolutely on right of way. There is only one reference in the US Inland Rules, none in the International Regulations.

I have seen a couple of cases in which one boat was held solely responsible. One was the case of a collision with a sailboat not displaying an anchor light.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)