Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

Like Tree30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2012
Huck

smallboatlover is on a distinguished road
who had right away?

i saw another post and i had the same question about a situation with me almost getting cut in half.
So i was sailing down wind with little to no wind doing 1mph. motor was off and up just using the main sail. so there was this fishing boat about 40-60 ft local lobster boat. i was staying same course and he was near the shore then he started coming out to the middle of the bay were i was and i thought ok he'll pass port to port but then as he got closer he changed course or something happened it looked like he was coming at me now. so i turne to cut across his bow the only way i could get more speed to move it'd put me on a reach instead of a run but that didn't help it looked like he turned again he was now 100 ft away so i turned back to turn port to port and he wouldn't change course at all so i droped the motor down really quick and turned it on and went full throttle right away to get out of his way as he was now 15 ft away and bearing down on my. at last second i pulled the dinghy away from his bow if i didn't he would of hit it. so what should i have done diffrently? or who was right?
Old 10-13-2012

willywaw is on a distinguished road
Re: who had right away?

Personally,I think you we're in the right, to avoid a collision is the underlying truth no matter what the other guy is doing or not doing no matter what the Coregs say.
Commercial fishing vessels do have the right of way, but only while actively engaged in fishing, to me it sounds as though this situation was different.
Next time, avoid the situation, try to hail them on the radio, and if no response, video them or get their description, type of vessel, location and any numbers you may see, and report them as making an unsafe passage to the CG. They may be able to help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-13-2012

Tempest is on a distinguished road

Huck, my initial impression is that you should have maintained your initial course and speed
( or lack thereof)

You had your sail up, and were the stand-on vessel. Your obligation is to maintain your course and speed, so that the other vessel can give way. By changing your course to cut across his bow...you probaby created some confusion, it sounds like he altered course again. However, it also sounds like he passed too close astern given the uncertainty of the situation.

It sounds to me that you were both equally at fault. You for changing course, and he for not slowing and altering course and speed sufficiently...( positive and early ) to avoid a near collision. But, of course, I wasn't there.
jrd22 likes this.
Old 10-13-2012
Huck

who had right away?

I know the vessel its docked less the a 1000ft away. And i was bussy trying to read which way hed go to be on the radio next time ill use the radio for sure. Ani never thought about reporting them good idea to late now though
Also after that i was in the radio telling them how they coulda killed me an a few more choice works and all i got back. From him was him saying wahh stop bitching
Old 10-13-2012
Huck

who had right away?

Temp as i went by i also couldnt see any one in the wheel house i could see the steering wheel not 1 person up there when he got that close to me
Old 10-13-2012
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough

From your story, this is pretty clear;
Quote:
So i was sailing down wind with little to no wind doing 1mph. motor was off and up just using the main sail. so there was this fishing boat about 40-60 ft local lobster boat. i was staying same course and he was near the shore then he started coming out to the middle of the bay were i was and i thought ok he'll pass port to port but then as he got closer he changed course or something happened it looked like he was coming at me now.
You were a sailboat - with atrocious grammar. It should have been clear to any observer that your motor was off, and not in the water, so you were not under power. He was a Lobster Boat - i.e. NOT a vessel constrained by draft, nor his rig. You were the stand on vessel, and therefore obligated to maintain course and speed, unless a collision was immenent.

A call to the coast guard reporting this clown would be a service to all other boaters in your area, but it will probably also get you shot. Think of it as taking one for all other boaters.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems
Old 10-13-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Confusing post. Lastly you claim not see anyone in the wheelhouse, but in the body of your post you said he changed direction twice. So what was it here , no one in the wheelhouse and the boat fairy changed the boats course or you couldn't see someone thre.

Not being there and reading your reaction I would agree with tempest your changing course and crossing his. Bow confused him. You should hold your course. If I am crossing, I try and make my intentions obvious to a crossing vessel and unless I will clearly pass safely across his bow, show the other vessel that I am crossing behind him. That gives them peace of mind and unless they put it in reverse.there can be no collision.

T he VHF is NOT to be used to display your anger or use a few choice words. Grow up. If you
Had a problem with him and want to discuss how he was wrong and almost killed you, and you know where he keeps his boat, why don't you go over in person and voice the same words face to face. Tell me how that works out . Another sign of immaturity.

Dave
Brewgyver likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Last edited by chef2sail; 10-13-2012 at 09:57 PM.
Old 10-13-2012

jackdale will become famous soon enough

In the PNW any sailboat with only its main up in light air is likely to be under power. Inverted cones are not required.

Do lobster boats display baskets or shapes apex to apex?

I agree about using the VHF prior to a issue evolving.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 10-13-2012

Ninefingers is on a distinguished road

Please, tell me you are typing on a phone.
smallboatlover likes this.
Old 10-13-2012

RichH will become famous soon enough

Many 'watermen' steer from amidships with a 'stick - tiller' leaving the wheel alone/vacant.
He probably was working amidships, didnt see you because his view was blocked by the wheelhouse etc.
Where was your HORN?
Just a slight 'beep' to get his attention sometimes is all thats needed, if not then 5 one-second blasts followed by a friendly wave will get someone's attention.
Yes indeed many lobster and crab boats are operated by a single person working their azzes off ... and for prudence you should either 'alert' them from harmful developing situations or just a simply quick 'beep' on the horn is all thats needed. :-)
jrd22, L124C, chef2sail and 1 others like this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.