Give me a break: Techniques for Heaving-To - Page 3 - SailNet Community

   Search Sailnet:

 forums  store  


Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here






Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.


Like Tree7Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #21  
Old 11-16-2012
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 24
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
seabrookedan is on a distinguished road
Dnt know if pic went thru or not. Just check out there book or dvd. Ill nvr set one straight off the bow again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #22  
Old 11-16-2012
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 471
Thanks: 18
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Rep Power: 5
MastUndSchotbruch is on a distinguished road
Re: Give me a break: Techniques for Heaving-To

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.aaron View Post
Sheet in my reefed main, tie off the tiller and go below, done it for day's at a time.
No jib?

Asking because I found that my jib tends to push the bow to lee too much. Never tried heaving to without a jib; should I?

Or just hank on a smaller one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #23  
Old 11-16-2012
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 296
Thanks: 0
Thanked 15 Times in 15 Posts
Rep Power: 8
SVTatia is on a distinguished road
Re: Give me a break: Techniques for Heaving-To

Quote:
Originally Posted by MastUndSchotbruch View Post
No jib?

Asking because I found that my jib tends to push the bow to lee too much. Never tried heaving to without a jib; should I?

Or just hank on a smaller one?
As per post # 3 - some boats heave-to well without a foresail, specially high freeboard ones. A triple-reefed main will do. Once I was hove-to for two days on the way to the Azores from Bermuda. Time to catch up on sleep and rest, but frustrating....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #24  
Old 11-16-2012
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: portland oregon
Posts: 101
Thanks: 3
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 4
luck66 is on a distinguished road
Re: Give me a break: Techniques for Heaving-To

I hove-to to drop the main and reef the main when the wind picks up. I have a furling jib, so I can adjust the size of the jib to match the force of the wind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #25  
Old 11-16-2012
Capt.aaron's Avatar
KNOT KNOWN
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Guanaja, Bay Islands, Honduras
Posts: 1,320
Thanks: 1
Thanked 20 Times in 20 Posts
Rep Power: 4
Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road
Re: Give me a break: Techniques for Heaving-To

Quote:
Originally Posted by MastUndSchotbruch View Post
No jib?

Asking because I found that my jib tends to push the bow to lee too much. Never tried heaving to without a jib; should I?

Or just hank on a smaller one?
Na, just reef the main, center the boom, tie off the tiller or (wheel if that's what you're into) You'll ride it out bow into the sea's. I've been stuck out there for day's like that. I use a storm jib when I'm trying to actually make way in a heavy winds, Just me. I like simple and quick and less for deck work in high sea's.
__________________
" Some are boat wise and some are other wise"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #26  
Old 11-17-2012
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 471
Thanks: 18
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Rep Power: 5
MastUndSchotbruch is on a distinguished road
Re: Give me a break: Techniques for Heaving-To

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.aaron View Post
Na, just reef the main, center the boom, tie off the tiller or (wheel if that's what you're into) You'll ride it out bow into the sea's. I've been stuck out there for day's like that. I use a storm jib when I'm trying to actually make way in a heavy winds, Just me. I like simple and quick and less for deck work in high sea's.
Thanks, Cap'n. Will give it a try. Unfortunately, it will have to wait a few months, looks like we had the first frost for the year
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #27  
Old 11-17-2012
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 471
Thanks: 18
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Rep Power: 5
MastUndSchotbruch is on a distinguished road
Re: Give me a break: Techniques for Heaving-To

Quote:
Originally Posted by MastUndSchotbruch View Post
Thanks, Cap'n. Will give it a try. Unfortunately, it will have to wait a few months, looks like we had the first frost for the year
Actually, on second thought: I just went mentally through the procedure (all I can do this time of the year ):

So, there is no jib, I sheet in the main really hard and put the tiller all the way to lee.

Doesn't the boat simply tack? What am I missing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #28  
Old 11-17-2012
Capt.aaron's Avatar
KNOT KNOWN
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Guanaja, Bay Islands, Honduras
Posts: 1,320
Thanks: 1
Thanked 20 Times in 20 Posts
Rep Power: 4
Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road
Re: Give me a break: Techniques for Heaving-To

Quote:
Originally Posted by MastUndSchotbruch View Post
Actually, on second thought: I just went mentally through the procedure (all I can do this time of the year ):

So, there is no jib, I sheet in the main really hard and put the tiller all the way to lee.

Doesn't the boat simply tack? What am I missing?
I fall into a sort of notch, the seas keep me from tacking. If the boat does tack, so what, you'll still be out in the middle of the ocean in storm with the bow in to the sea's. I was hit by a big norther 40 miles south of Key West, after 5 day's at sea. all I could do was reef it down and tie it off. I drifted out there for 3 day's on a port tack. I was 50 miles to the west when the winds let up. It's hard enough to tack out there with some way on, comeing from a dead stop it would be devine intervention that caused you tack.
__________________
" Some are boat wise and some are other wise"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #29  
Old 11-17-2012
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 471
Thanks: 18
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Rep Power: 5
MastUndSchotbruch is on a distinguished road
Re: Give me a break: Techniques for Heaving-To

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.aaron View Post
I fall into a sort of notch, the seas keep me from tacking. If the boat does tack, so what, you'll still be out in the middle of the ocean in storm with the bow in to the sea's. I was hit by a big norther 40 miles south of Key West, after 5 day's at sea. all I could do was reef it down and tie it off. I drifted out there for 3 day's on a port tack. I was 50 miles to the west when the winds let up. It's hard enough to tack out there with some way on, comeing from a dead stop it would be devine intervention that caused you tack.
OK, I think I get it. The boat is essentially in irons for the whole time, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #30  
Old 11-17-2012
Capt.aaron's Avatar
KNOT KNOWN
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Guanaja, Bay Islands, Honduras
Posts: 1,320
Thanks: 1
Thanked 20 Times in 20 Posts
Rep Power: 4
Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road
Re: Give me a break: Techniques for Heaving-To

Quote:
Originally Posted by MastUndSchotbruch View Post
OK, I think I get it. The boat is essentially in irons for the whole time, right?
Ya I guess that's it.
__________________
" Some are boat wise and some are other wise"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

 
Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may post attachments
You may edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anchoringing techniques brokesailor Cruising & Liveaboard Forum 23 12-14-2008 10:47 AM
General Navigation Techniques Jim Sexton Learning to Sail Articles 0 09-01-2004 09:00 PM
Lightning Protection Techniques Kevin Hughes Seamanship Articles 0 08-26-2002 09:00 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:39 AM.

Add to My Yahoo!         
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012

The SailNet.com store is owned and operated by a company independent of the SailNet.com forum. You are now leaving the SailNet forum. Click OK to continue or Cancel to return to the SailNet forum.