Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Do I Need an EPIRB?

Quote:
The DSC VHS will send to a coastal station and to all boats in range a Mayday signal with the identification of your boat and the GPS position. The main difference with an Epirb is that while this one works for satellite transmission and has an unlimited range the DSC range is limited to the range of your boat VHS and eventually to the possibility of relay Mayday.
Only if you are on the boat and the boat is not sunk or dimasted so the antainnae is intact, and only if there is dc power available.

Get the EPIRB

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-25-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Only if you are on the boat and the boat is not sunk or dimasted so the antainnae is intact, and only if there is dc power available.

Get the EPIRB
Sure, a radio without DSC is much better than one with the system

And by the way can you explain why the antenna has to be intact for a transmission? The Antenna is for the reception not for the emission

Regards

Paulo
Old 11-25-2012

BryceGTX is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
And by the way can you explain why the antenna has to be intact for a transmission? The Antenna is for the reception not for the emission

Paulo
Really.... Care to elaborate?

For others.. Yes, you need an antenna to transmit and receive.

Bryce

Last edited by BryceGTX; 11-25-2012 at 09:02 PM.
Old 11-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryceGTX View Post
Really.... Care to elaborate?

For others.. Yes, you need an antenna to transmit and receive.

Bryce
Yes, you are right. I Should have explained better. I was referring to an intact antenna. Once I have broken one and I find out that I still could radiate enough energy to have a pretty strong transmission, however I was completely unable to receive signals so I guess that even with a broken one the chances are that you can still transmit a mayday signal.

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 11-25-2012 at 09:29 PM.
Old 11-25-2012

Quote:
Yes, you are right. I Should have explained better. I was referring to an intact antenna. Once I have broken one and I find out that I still could radiate enough energy to have a pretty strong transmission, however I was completely unable to receive signals so I guess that even with a broken one the chances are that you can still transmit a mayday signal PCP

And how far do you GUESS you will be able to transmit.

Tell you what take the antaena of you portable VHF and go a block away and see if your regular VHF picks up the transmission ( IT WONT)

EPIRB doesnt need power either.

In an emergency, where power is out, radio VHF will not work therefore no DSC, EPIRB will work

In an emergency where the boat is sinking,,no time to go below deck to transmit, EPIRB will continueally sent signal

In an emergency where the boat has sunk, VHF DSC wont work, EPIRB will work continously

In the event you are in the liferaft VHF wont transmitt but EPIRB will transmuit continuosly

In the event you are in the water, VHF with DSC wont work but EPIRP will.

When you grab your ditch bag make sure you grab your EPIRB and put it in, if you grab the VHF you will be sh.. out of luck.

BTW I have DSC and AIS on my VHF. Its fine for small isuues, but the EPIRB is good for everything so if I could only have one....no brainer

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 11-25-2012

Mico is on a distinguished road

Standard Horizon do a DSC VHF with fully integrated AIS. Here in Oz they retail for about $320. After spending another $70 for a multiplexer, we now have it integrated with our Raymarine chart plotter/radar.

Last year sailing up through the Louisiades at the foot of PNG, we had a major whiteout just before entering a small reef opening that was also the major shipping lane for cargo vessels heading up to Japan from OZ. We only have the AIS receiver but the cargo ship's particulars came up on screen, I hit the call button on the AIS and the phone rang on their bridge which scared the life out of them as they had not picked us up on their radar

The captain was extremely grateful for the call and we were both able to reduce speed and take evasive action as their massive bow came out of the squall high above us.

We love our AIS

Mico
Old 11-25-2012

No question about AIS being super technology. Having one which just receives is ok if that's all you can do. Having one which also transmits is a real safety improvement. Integrating it on the Chartplotter/ radar is almost too much received info but I know is also transmitting so I am seen.

I would not travel offshore, even costal without some king of EPIBRB.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

Old 11-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post

And how far do you GUESS you will be able to transmit.

Tell you what take the antaena of you portable VHF and go a block away and see if your regular VHF picks up the transmission ( IT WONT)

EPIRB doesnt need power either.

In an emergency, where power is out, radio VHF will not work therefore no DSC, EPIRB will work

In an emergency where the boat is sinking,,no time to go below deck to transmit, EPIRB will continueally sent signal

In an emergency where the boat has sunk, VHF DSC wont work, EPIRB will work continously

In the event you are in the liferaft VHF wont transmitt but EPIRB will transmuit continuosly

In the event you are in the water, VHF with DSC wont work but EPIRP will.

When you grab your ditch bag make sure you grab your EPIRB and put it in, if you grab the VHF you will be sh.. out of luck.

BTW I have DSC and AIS on my VHF. Its fine for small isuues, but the EPIRB is good for everything so if I could only have one....no brainer
Jesus Dave, Why are you screaming at me. It seems that I had said that a DSC radio was better than an Epirb when I have said quite the oposite

What I have said is that a radio with a DSC is better than a radio without a DSC and offers some advantages in what regards a Mayday situation even if only in the cases that the antenna is not lost. Do you not agree with that

That's why they are mandatory on merchant boats. Have a look at what I have said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post

The DSC VHS will send to a coastal station and to all boats in range a Mayday signal with the identification of your boat and the GPS position. The main difference with an Epirb is that while this one works for satellite transmission and has an unlimited range the DSC range is limited to the range of your boat VHS and eventually to the possibility of relay Mayday...

A PLB, if it has a GPS integrated, is just a smaller Epirb, not as expensive but expensive anyway (more than half the price) and the only inconvenient is a smaller time of signal emission. That can only be a problem if you sail far away from the coast and if takes a lot of time to get there.

I agree that it is better then a DSC but it is all a question of price. If price is not an objection just buy a Class one Epirb and have also a smaller PLB

A radio is needed on the boat anyway and if one wants to renew it's old radio than a DSC is better than nothing and a lot cheaper.
Don't you agree?

Regards

Paulo
Old 11-25-2012

Mico is on a distinguished road

The integration on the charter plotter was a simple process (don't believe Raymarine when they tell you it can only be done with a Raymarine AIS). The advantage of the integration is that in a crowded shipping lane, we get to see all the commercial vessels within 25nm, their direction and when you click on their small triangle, you get a large detailed display of all their particulars including speed, heading and time left until they chop you in two It also gives you their port of origin and destination so that should you survive, you know where they live!

The other safety regime not mentioned so far is submitting a detailed plan of your voyage and return details to the authorities and family. That more than anything here in Oz, has been the salvation for many a coastal sailor in trouble.

According to Australian Search and Rescue, the worth of an EPIRB has less to do with the signal it sends out when activated, but more to do with your vessel's details, family contacts and other voyage and passage notes you submit for their records when you register your EPIRB. Keeping that data base current gives them a great advantage in locating you quickly. I'm not sure what happens in the UK or the US but we can log onto our AMSA account before heading out into the blue and update our cruising itinerary just to give a heads up if we start beeping

Mico
Old 11-26-2012

Quote:
I'm not sure what happens in the UK or the US but we can log onto our AMSA account before heading out into the blue and update our cruising itinerary just to give a heads up if we start beepingMICO
Not sure we can do this I am going to check. What a great idea. Thanks

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-