Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Crash jibe buffer

The Wichard Gyb'easy boom brake is a pretty ingenious and simple device. Outrageous money for a simple molded piece of aluminum and some stretch line, but patents exist for a reason. The only downside is they are limited to 400-500 sf mainsails. Don't know why they haven't made a larger one.
St Anna likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-11-2012
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough

Aside from the hardware damage that an accidental gybe can produce, it is also probably the largest single cause in sailling of personal injury and death, for example;
Sail-World.com : British sail-trainers on trial over injury/dramatic rescue of novices
Old 12-11-2012

St Anna is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
The Wichard Gyb'easy boom brake is a pretty ingenious and simple device. Outrageous money for a simple molded piece of aluminum and some stretch line, but patents exist for a reason. The only downside is they are limited to 400-500 sf mainsails. Don't know why they haven't made a larger one.
Ditto - I have this system. It works well so far **~9200nm} but time may tell...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-12-2012

jimrafford is on a distinguished road

I have boom end sheeting w/ the traveler in the middle of the cockpit. An accidental jib is unacceptable.
I installed a dutchman boom brake on the current boat and the previous one. Love it! Always there. It's run to a secondary winch. Want to lock the boom. wrap the winch and lock it down. Want to jibe. Release the winch, jibe and lock it down again. No worries. Never have an accidental jibe again.
Jim

Last edited by jimrafford; 12-12-2012 at 08:37 PM.
Old 12-12-2012

MastUndSchotbruch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimrafford View Post
I have boom end sheeting w/ the traveler in the middle of the cockpit. An accidental jib is unacceptable.
I installed a dutchman boom brake on the current boat and the previous one. Love it! Always there. It's run to a secondary winch. Want to lock the boom. wrap the winch and lock it down. Want to jibe. Release the winch, jibe and lock it down again. No worries. Never have an accidental jibe again.
Jim
I have exactly the same setup and I love it! Although I don't have it always on, only beyond a broad reach. But the lines are always led through it so it takes me less than 5 minutes to 'activate' it. Wouldn't want to do without it.
Old 12-17-2012

luck66 is on a distinguished road

I was on a down wind run some years ago, and we jibed and broke the boom. Now I have a preventer. I have sailed on boats where they do not prevent the boom, and do feel uneasy.
Old 12-28-2012

casey1999 is on a distinguished road

Concerning getting hit by the boom, why is the boom so low? Realize one would loose some sail area, but raising the boom a foot or two could mean the difference between life or death. Some boats have booms that are high enough to not be a danger, others are below head height when standing in the cockpit. I am considering when I make replacement sails to raise the boom up a foot, to clear my head.

Pros and cons?
Old 12-28-2012

jackdale will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey1999 View Post
Concerning getting hit by the boom, why is the boom so low? Realize one would loose some sail area, but raising the boom a foot or two could mean the difference between life or death. Some boats have booms that are high enough to not be a danger, others are below head height when standing in the cockpit. I am considering when I make replacement sails to raise the boom up a foot, to clear my head.

Pros and cons?
Many 1980's boats had lower booms and smaller dodgers.

Race boats will have lower booms (and no dodger) for the sail area.

One downside to raising the boom is that it raises the CofE of the main, increasing the tenderness of the boat. That is mitigated somewhat by a smaller sail area assuming you do not g with a tall rig.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 12-28-2012
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpm View Post
I help deliver a 50' boat a couple weekends ago. We sailed all night on a run wing on wing. Wind was about 15 knots. Under those conditions I would usually rig a dock line from the boom to the rail as a preventer as it is really hard to see the sails in the dark.
There are some disadvantages having a preventor that can't be released easily too but still it seems the lessor to two evils if you don't have a real boom brake.

All he did was leave the traveler uncleated on both sides. When we did inevitably jibe the traveler pulling it's line through the blocks has a pretty good damping effect.

I'm not saying I would do it myself except in very light air but it did seem to work. The rig stayed up.
That trip was with me. David joined after I sailed all day solo over to pick him up. He's a great help and I highly recommend him.

We have a boom break in the cockpit locker. I didn't feel we needed it yet, but would have pulled it out (or rigged a preventer) at the least suggestion. I like using it and the special line is used for only that purpose. We have the smaller mast = smaller sails, by the way, and the wind was unchanging in speed and direction and not gusting at all. The boom is above the full bimini hardware and the solar panel.

(I think boom brakes are far safer than preventers, by the way.)

The traveller setup was not intentional as a boom break.

More importantly is that all suggestions are welcome at any time. Maybe I should add that as a standard practice, to periodically solicit ideas on what we could do to sail safer or better. I like it!

Regards,
Brad
Old 12-30-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

After multiple tries at various attach points for a preventer, decided that it was essentially a lousy idea, at least on my narrow boat: too much point load on the boom, boom would snap if buried, no good way to immediately release, etc. I have welded up a ladder device, similar to the one mentioned above. It's constructed of 1/2" 316 s.s. and attaches to a large plate I designed to spread loads out along the boom. There is no need for an elastic line that I can see as long as the sides of the working triangle are exactly equal. Using a piece of relatively stretchy 1/2" (old sheet) line should account for any minor discrepancies. Am going to install this in the spring and give up on trying to tie the boom off to something forward.