Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2013

arvicola-amphibius is on a distinguished road
Re: Crash jibe buffer

I made a boom brake out of some rope and one of those belaying cleats you can buy in a shop that sell gear for abseiling and mountaineering. It is alloy and shaped like a figure 8 and a good one here in Oz sells for about 30 bucks.
I ditched the boom down haul, ran a line from one chain plate through the belaying device ( sorry I dunno what they are called) which was attached to the boom at the old mounting point for the down haul about 4 feet back from the gooseneck. From there the line runs to a block on the opposite chain plate and back to a cleat on the outboard side of the cockpit coaming.
Simply tension it as required with a winch and cleat it off. It won't prevent a gybe but slows it down significantly. The heavier the line the greater the friction generated. I have found 12mm to be just right.
Because of the attach point fairly close in to the gooseneck, it is probably unsuitable for a boat much bigger than my 30 footer, but so far it has worked a treat.
Geoff54 likes this.

Last edited by arvicola-amphibius; 01-04-2013 at 11:52 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-05-2013

Geoff54 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvicola-amphibius View Post
I made a boom brake out of some rope and one of those belaying cleats you can buy in a shop that sell gear for abseiling and mountaineering. It is alloy and shaped like a figure 8 and a good one here in Oz sells for about 30 bucks.
I ditched the boom down haul, ran a line from one chain plate through the belaying device ( sorry I dunno what they are called) which was attached to the boom at the old mounting point for the down haul about 4 feet back from the gooseneck. From there the line runs to a block on the opposite chain plate and back to a cleat on the outboard side of the cockpit coaming.
Simply tension it as required with a winch and cleat it off. It won't prevent a gybe but slows it down significantly. The heavier the line the greater the friction generated. I have found 12mm to be just right.
Because of the attach point fairly close in to the gooseneck, it is probably unsuitable for a boat much bigger than my 30 footer, but so far it has worked a treat.
Very interesting. I had considered something like this using a Big Rescue 8. What size and type of 8 did you use?

Old 01-05-2013
Wish I never found SN!

SimonV will become famous soon enough

All sail boats over 30' should be manditorially fitted with a Dutchman boom break, Any boat I own will have one.

I love my boat
S/V GOODONYA
Brisbane
present location Heading to the Whitesundays

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DELIVERY SKIPPER
Drinking Rum before 10am makes you a Pirate NOT an alcohlic
Old 01-05-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonV View Post
All sail boats over 30' should be manditorially fitted with a Dutchman boom break, Any boat I own will have one.
I sort of agree. However, our boom is about 7 - 8 ft above the cockpit. You could still rip it off at the gooseneck with an accidental jibe in rough conditions, but you're much less likely to whack someone in the head.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 01-05-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvicola-amphibius View Post
I made a boom brake out of some rope and one of those belaying cleats you can buy in a shop that sell gear for abseiling and mountaineering. It is alloy and shaped like a figure 8 and a good one here in Oz sells for about 30 bucks.....
Essentially what a Gyb Easy device is, but they sell them for 15 times the cost!! However, does a climbing figure 8 really give enough resistance. There are other belaying devices that might work even better.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 01-05-2013
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

Those climbing friction top-rope devices are basically the same principle as the Gyb-Easy device. The difference is that you can adjust the friction of a ladder device by the number of "steps" the line is threaded through. The ladder devices can also be disengaged by simply taking the line off the "post" at the top of the unit. The one I built from 1/2" s.s. rod would probably lift the boat. Although not as light as the cast aluminum commercial brake, it has to be much stronger. With the 12"x 4" plate shaped around the boom stress will be distributed over a much larger area. Wish I had pictures but it's on the boat which is asleep under tarp and snow:-)

Last edited by smurphny; 01-05-2013 at 07:32 AM. Reason: more inf
Old 01-05-2013

arvicola-amphibius is on a distinguished road

I no longer have the packaging so do not know the brand name of the unit I purchased. It was almost identical to the Rescue 8 but did not have the 'ears'.
I was concerned that they could snag or allow the line to jump free. However if more friction is needed the Rescue 8 may suit as long as tension can be held or provided you don't mind going forward to add the extra turns. With the standard 8 it can be left permanently rigged and the tension adjusted as desired from the cockpit. For cruising I find that I rarely need to change tension as what suits as a down haul when going to windward still provides enough friction to slow the gybe.
Each boat will be different, depending on how flat the mainsail, the angle of boom to mast etc.
The only time I need to slack it off is when done for the day and hauling in the topping lift.

Last edited by arvicola-amphibius; 01-05-2013 at 05:10 PM.