SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Seamanship & Navigation (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/seamanship-navigation/)
-   -   Flash Card Refresher (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/seamanship-navigation/95006-flash-card-refresher.html)

smurphny 12-16-2012 10:58 AM

Flash Card Refresher

I have been considering jumping through the hoops to get a USCG captain's license and found this website that is great for anyone who wants to review their nav light and buoy recognition: http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/?pageName...les&qid=85&rnd Sometimes our government does useful things!

jrd22 12-16-2012 11:57 AM

Re: Flash Card Refresher

Well that's handy, thanks for the link. Are you home studying or taking a class (I highly recommend a class)?

smurphny 12-16-2012 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrd22 (Post 962459)
Well that's handy, thanks for the link. Are you home studying or taking a class (I highly recommend a class)?

I'm more interested in keeping up to date and refreshed in my knowledge of these things and not really in bureaucratic pieces of paper signifying little:) I do have a book by Charlie Wing that seems to be very good but I would not spend a lot of $ nor time traveling to take a course. My theory is that I will keep at it until I feel I can pass the CG exam and then decide whether or not to do it. Let's face it, a large portion of boaters you encounter on the water, including people who are supposed to be professionals, have no clue or just ignore the rules of the road, nav lights, and most other safety issues. It would be helpful for all of us to review this stuff on a regular basis. I know there are things I have forgotten.

jrd22 12-16-2012 08:20 PM

I wish more people were like you. Not many boaters are out on the water enough to stay up on even the basics so an annual review of the rules, lights, nav aids etc is an excellent idea (I did a few of the flash cards and it comes back to you, but I had to think for a few minutes on some of them) . I home studied for the exam, and passed, but I think I would have retained more relevant info if I had taken the class, and it wouldn't have taken me nearly as many hours as it did not knowing what to study (had to study it all). Like you, I was just doing it for my own education. Your odds of passing are statistically pretty poor doing it on your own.

smurphny 12-16-2012 09:07 PM

The CG really needs to be commended for putting things like this on-line. Even Bowditch is free to download. The more information becomes easily available, the more folks are likely to use it. They should turn it into a game app for iphones, then even the local taxi driver would know how to safely operate a boat:)

luck66 12-17-2012 11:33 PM

Just looked at the CG web page you referenced, looks like a good place to spend some time.

smurphny 12-20-2012 07:32 AM

Just read this piece about a sailor who apparently needs to review the rule book:D Yachtsman Fined for Sailing Wrong Way | Cruising Compass

erps 12-20-2012 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrd22 (Post 962459)

John,

I saw that a class graduated out of La Conner this past fall. I think that Rodriguez fellow that you know is involved. They have another one coming up in the spring. I think I'm going to sign up. It's been something I've been meaning to get around to before I retire. Running out of time.

Did you take the class?

jrd22 12-20-2012 10:09 AM

I didn't take the class for the license but I did take a renewal class with Richard. He's a good instructor, fun to be around, just don't start talking politics, guns, etc. Home study is not the way to go IMO, you'll learn more from the interaction with everyone in class, and you'll retain more of the important stuff if you don't cram your head full of thousands of bits of unimportant trivia that "might" be on the tests. Not having to go to the CG testing site in the Federal bldg. in downtown Seattle is worth the cost of the class, no matter how much it is. One thing to consider is that if you are a licensed captain you are held to higher standards (blame) if involved in an incident. I was supposed to renew this year but can't pass the hearing test:-((