Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2012

MarkSF is on a distinguished road
Re: SF Bay Sailors - Transiting the Bonita Channel?

Great! How was the wind? I am kicking myself for not taking Wednesday off and going sailing, now that a week of rain is forecast.
Old 12-21-2012

dabnis is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfbaysailing View Post
Hey everyone

So we ended up going up and down the channel on wednesday, and soaking the pots off muir beach for a few hours.
The channel was fine, no problems at all. It was, however, a bit intimidating to be inside of those large swells as they stood up on the potato patch....and then backed down again in the channel. I'd say that was probably as much swell as Id feel comfortable with in the channel, though I think it would be safe with more swell.
And we caught about 30 crabs and 6 sand dabs and had a big feast!
Thanks everyone for the advice....it was really helpful in making the decision.
All the best,
greg
Glad to hear you had a good trip and even caught some crabs, pretty good haul for a few hours!! "Keelhauling" posted a picture of a huge breaker breaking right at one of the Bonita bouys with calm looking water all around it. Sometimes one just has to rely on their own "pucker factor". I have gone down the channel looking way up at the breakers on the patch, not very far away. Suggest you not become over confident there, it can be a truly nasty place especially when there is a big ebb flowing.

Paul T
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-21-2012

SF,

Had a few minutes on my hands, watching the snow come down. Here is the picture I mentioned, almost half way down the page:

Couple Die Sailing To San Francisco

Some other interesting links:

The San Francisco Bar | CoastsideFishingClub.com

https://www.latitude38.com/lectronic...ate=2010-02-17

Hope the crabs were good!!

Paul T
Old 12-21-2012

L124C is on a distinguished road

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeB View Post
I concur with MarkSF, If the NOAA prediction holds true, this is going to be one big, lumpy, left-over sea that you will be transiting. You might not be able to hold a close haul course in the Northerly wind and tacking to Stb will put you over the Potato Patch, which will be real lumpy if we’re talking a general forecast 10 ft and 13 seconds. What time is your return trip? The next storm will roll through on Thursday, and a southerly wind shift could make the return trip a bit more dangerous than normal. Double check the current predictions for under the Gate as an ebb will cause the 13’ waves to stack up even higher. Let us know what you see out there if you go. This Picture is running the Bointa Channel in 10-15’+ waves at around 10 seconds. They were breaking clear across the ‘Patch. We saw one break continuously from the Patch and across Bonita at which point we bailed and went around to the main ship channel. Only to encounter a big one breaking clear across the channel. Be good, be brave.QUOTE]
Is that you George? Great shot, but now you've blown my image of you as Thurston Howel III!
Just as well...he wouldn't have lasted a minute in that swell!
Old 12-23-2012

L124C is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabnis View Post
SF,
Had a few minutes on my hands, watching the snow come down. Here is the picture I mentioned, almost half way down the page:
Couple Die Sailing To San Francisco
Great links, thanks! Haden't heard about "Loverboy" getting swept overboard. Gives a whole new meaning to "Take the wheel"! That, and the link to one of my old threads did did bring up a issue though. With all the sage advice in this thread, I didn't see any mention of harnesses. I'm tethered every time I head out the Gate, except on the most benign days (when I usually only go out far enough to give people a ride under the bridge anyway!) Don't want to start a fire fight like the epic one that evolved from the old thread and a related one (which was removed when it burst into flames), but thought I would mention it.
If you are in the Bonita Channel, I think you should be tied in. That way, at least you will be with your boat when it goes on the rocks!

Last edited by L124C; 12-23-2012 at 02:38 PM.
Old 12-23-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by L124C View Post
Great links, thanks! Hadn't heard about "Loverboy" getting swept overboard. Gives a whole new meaning to "Take the wheel"! That, and the link to one of my old threads did did bring up a issue though. With all the sage advice in this thread, I didn't see any mention of harnesses. I'm tethered every time I head out the Gate, except on the most benign days (when I usually only go out far enough to give people a ride under the bridge anyway!) Don't want to start a fire fight like the epic one that evolved from the old thread and a related one (which was removed when it burst into flames), but thought I would mention it.
If you are in the Bonita Channel, I think you should be tied in. That way, at least you will be with your boat when it goes on the rocks!
Good point, when outside, the few times I had to go forward to take down the jib, I used a tether short enough so that I couldn't fall over the side. If by yourself it would be virtually impossible to get back on board and extremely difficult for crew members to pull you back on board. If I was to do it over I would have all lines run back to the cockpit. Another option is if your gut tells you it is, or will be too rough, go back, there is always another day.

Paul T