Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2013

Tempest is on a distinguished road
Re: captains license

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanley View Post
Can you elaborate on this? According to the USCG website, the TWIC is still a requirement:

http://www.uscg.mil/nmc/credentials/...-57%20OUPV.pdf

Thanks

Of course,

Here is the policy letter That I read awhile ago.

http://www.uscg.mil/nmc/twic/pdfs/tw...icy_letter.pdf

Toward the end, it talks about who would/could be exempt from having to have a TWIC. Basically, licenses under certain tonnage (100) and vessels that do not require a security plan.

After a closer read, if it's a 1st license..you still need to go and apply for a TWIC, in order to have the background checks done and pay. But those exceptions don't actually have to obtain the card.

So, at the end of the day..you might as well get it. Until they figure out the final process.

I will still renew mine when it expires.
AncientTech likes this.

Last edited by Tempest; 01-12-2013 at 10:48 PM. Reason: editing
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-13-2013
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest View Post
The Twic is good to have but it's no longer required for licenses.

Sea School has a class that starts on January 18th in Cape Coral.
Frm-Schedule-FL

You can try the online course at Mariners.
Thank you! - Also, per the SeaSchool brochure; the TWIC, and a Social Security Card are requirements.
Old 01-13-2013
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road

Ya, you need a twic these day's, MPT in ft.lauderdale is a better school than Seaschool, been to both. Capt. Flynn Smith in the Key' has the best 6 pack class I've ever seen or heard of. Captains Marine I think he call's it.l
AncientTech likes this.
Old 01-13-2013
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

Aaron makes a good point: You need a concrete reason to spend the time and money getting any kind of certification. I have been thinking about getting an OUPV, mainly as something to do, but cannot really think of a legitimate reason to jump through all those ridiculous hoops. What you need to know is how to apply the readily available information, such as lights, shapes, signals, nav. etc, to actual use. With the flood of internet sources nowadays, if you can't find this info. you probably shouldn't be operating a boat. Most of it is rote memorization, much of it important for ALL boaters to know. You can only internalize what's actually important by sailing. A paper test is great for getting people to cram down facts, many to be forgotten next week unless used, but has limited correlation to overall proficiency on a boat.
oysterman23 likes this.
Old 01-14-2013
Yamsailor

Yamsailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanley View Post
Can you elaborate on this? According to the USCG website, the TWIC is still a requirement:

http://www.uscg.mil/nmc/credentials/...-57%20OUPV.pdf

Thanks

TWICS are not required by Merchants Mariners holding a 100 Ton Masters or less ticket. If one obtaines a Masters License over 100 Tons, the one needs a TWIC.
Old 01-14-2013

kd3pc is on a distinguished road

Please read TWIC Policies - USCG National Maritime Center for TWIC requirements....and exceptions. As of Nov 2012, TWIC was required for new OUPV licenses. Similarly renewals without TWIC can take months longer than one with TWIC on file.

it appears that currently, NEW applicants for OUPV or those renewing that have never had a TWIC will need to apply/get/obtain one. All of the schools indicate that for first license grant, TWIC is required, subsequent renewals for OUPV will use the data currently in the TWIC system to validate background checks needed for the renewal.

IF you need access to secure port facilities, the TWIC is required regardless of license held. TSA does the TWIC, not USCG, the USCG uses TSA for background checks.

hope this helps, legislation has been proposed several times since the TWIC was created only to languish and die in committees of Congress, little chance of it being passed it appears this year.
Old 01-14-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradfalk View Post
Hi all

question: I've been sailing my whole life (some racing as a kid- cruising whole life). I now sail with my family- wife didn't grow up sailing and mostly when we cruise it's me doing all the boat handling/docking etc. Some of that will change now that our kids are getting a bit older (8, 6 and 2) (ok maybe not the 2 y/o) and she wants to get more involved.

We do all ches bay cruising at this point. Just sold our '28 caliber and are about to close on a catalina 42 that we plan to continue cruising ches bay with and some longer trips up to block Is, etc. In 2017 we plan to split for a year with the kids and head down to the islands.

though I feel comfortable with basic navigation, boat handling and boat safety stuff, I feel like now that we plan on doing somewhat more extensive trips I need to buff not only my own knowledge but also (maybe more importantly) have my wife learn all this stuff as well. Is it reasonable to do one of the online captain's courses? Are they "good enough?" I figure if my wife and I both do the course together (with what time right?) it would be at a nice pace and (hopefully) fun to do together. BUt I don't want to waste all that money if these courses are bogus. Just don't know anything about them.

Any suggestions?

thanks

brad
Brad,

We cruise and live aboard with our kids and have done it for quite some time (8 & 12 yo boys). We have a C400, btw. You will love the C42. Nice boat, comfortable cockpit, nice accomodations, and sails pretty good too.

I would focus my efforts on getting out as a family. I would try and get out for a few overnighters in waters you know and give the kids some responsibilities (our kids stand a watch). It will allow you to see what works and what doesn't. SPend as much time as you can on the boat as a family to see what things you might want to invest in (or do not feel are necessary). If possible, move onto the boat 6-12 months before shoving off to really see what works for you before cruising.

I wouldn't screw around with that capts course unless you plan on taking out people for a sunset cruise. But with a cruising boat loaded with kids, I doubt you would get many takers anyways. I also would not screw around with the ASA courses. You can learn as a family what you need to do, and it is all practice anyways. THe hard part is not sailing or doing overnighters safely. The hard part is living aboard as a family to make sure the gears all turn and everyone is happy. You will be in for quite an adjustment... but it is a good one.

If you need any thoughts on any of this, shoot me a PM.

Take care,

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 01-14-2013

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

Read, watch (if you can, sail with an experienced friend), do, discuss, do again.

Courses are for people that can't do one of those. Licenses are for those that want to get paid to do it.
BTW, the insurance cut for a license holding recreational skipper does NOT pay for the courses within a lifetime.
Old 01-14-2013
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road

I agree with CD and he is living proof, however, I also often say beware of the self taught mariner. They often devlope some silly habits and often they are missing some of the essentials. I spent 4 years on a tall ship sailing school research vessel as a student and subsequently became first mate and cheif engineer. That was after a child hood spent sailing with Granpa who was a 500 ton master of sail. I think time spent on a training vessel is an incredable jump start into becoming a competent sailor. Also, be careful who you decide to learn from, stupidity begets stupidity. Courses are also for people who want to learn the proper techniques from people trained to teach the proper techniques.
Tempest likes this.

Last edited by Capt.aaron; 01-14-2013 at 06:06 PM.
Old 01-14-2013

klem is on a distinguished road

Some of the classes provide very good classroom instruction but it is just that, classroom stuff not out in the real world. When I originally got my license, I took a class through Boatwise and had the owner Rick Kilborn as the teacher. He did a very nice job and was a good teacher. Having several of my friends in the class really helped too and we were able to study together which was great. I have had other friends take classes through other schools which they were less pleased with.

As stated above, captain's license classes teach to a specific test, some more so than others. The test that they are teaching to is really setup for people looking to run power driven commercial boats so it gets heavily into regulations and other things that are not essential for recreational boaters. The test has no practical exam and many people feel that it is actually a poor test for commercial captains. Even the practical sections such as navigation are in a way impractical as they give you so much time. If you took as long to do the navigation problems as they give you on the exam, you would have long since been off course and run up on the beach. You will find very few mentions of sailboats and learn very little about actually how to handle the boat.

As recommended by others, something like an ASA course would probably be best. Ideally, you would have a large practical component on the water with a little bit of classroom instruction to cover the stuff like lighting configurations.