SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Seamanship & Navigation (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/seamanship-navigation/)
-   -   Getting customized training on your own boat? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/seamanship-navigation/96004-getting-customized-training-your-own-boat.html)

GrahamO 01-23-2013 04:04 PM

Getting customized training on your own boat?

We are learning reasonably fast but there is a lot of stuff we would prefer to learn from our 'betters' rather than fumble our way through, particularly things like heavy weather sailing, heaving to, the finer points of anchoring etc.

It would seem that having an experienced instructor on our own boat would be way more valuable than a canned ASA course or similar (our experience with those in Texas was not particularly enlightening....).

Is there anyone who provides this type of service in the southern Maine area?

Thanks a lot!

Graham

johnnyquest37 01-23-2013 04:18 PM

Re: Getting customized training on your own boat?

I've done this a few times. Many ASA or US Sailing instructors will do this. Try contacting a local sailing school and ask them to recommend a couple of insturctors.

sd1953 01-23-2013 04:21 PM

I do not know about Maine, as I am in Florida. However, during the ASA class I took here, I asked the instructor if the more advanced courses could be done aboard my boat. He told me yes.
I am sure it is more expensive to have a one-on-one with the instructor versus being among four or five on a school boat. But inquire at the local ASA school (or other reputable school). They can tell you the school policy.

sailingfool 01-23-2013 04:25 PM

You might see if you can get Brenton Lockridge at Black Rock Sailing School in Boston Harbor, MA to come up, or take a 103, 104, or 106 with him. I've worked with him and can guarantee he is a simply superb instructor.

steve77 01-23-2013 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrahamO (Post 980044)
We are learning reasonably fast but there is a lot of stuff we would prefer to learn from our 'betters' rather than fumble our way through, particularly things like heavy weather sailing, heaving to, the finer points of anchoring etc.

It would seem that having an experienced instructor on our own boat would be way more valuable than a canned ASA course or similar (our experience with those in Texas was not particularly enlightening....).

Is there anyone who provides this type of service in the southern Maine area?

Thanks a lot!

Graham

SailMaine, in Portland, will give you private lessons on your boat. The price was pretty reasonable when I did it a few years ago.

Sail Maine - Community Sailing

steve77 01-23-2013 04:29 PM

I haven't looked into this, but Portland Yacht Services may also have something:

Portland Yacht Services, Inc. - Portland, Maine

Tim R. 01-23-2013 04:52 PM

I would contact Maine Sail. He may be willing to do it or know someone who does. SailNet Community - View Profile: Maine Sail

Sail Maine is also a good option. Not sure I would go with Portland Yacht Services but that is another story.

GrahamO 01-24-2013 12:02 PM

Thanks All,
I will drop Main Sail a note.

Graham