Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Hell Gate

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatapaul View Post
I used to run the concessions at Ellis Island and never grew tired of looking at the city, and the Lady Liberty. No matter how many times you look at it is still takes your breath away!
Here are a few of our many pictures
Staten Island Ferry Terminals and Wall Street Area- once past here going north much easier

Heliport next to Wall Street amd South Street Seaport area

Brooklyn bridge

Brooklyn and Manhattan Bridge

Manhattan Bridge

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Last edited by chef2sail; 01-28-2013 at 12:19 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-28-2013

Empire State Bldg

UN

Crysler Bldg

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 01-28-2013

Chartplotter 11 knots SOG next to Roosevelt Island

Entrance to Hell gate (where Harlem and East River Combine) not so scarey looking. Lots of current, but very doable if you are taking it.

Looking back down the East River toward Battery before entering Hell Gate- look at water

Middle of Hell Gate looking back at the city

In Hell gate...no biggie

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

Old 01-28-2013
SV Skalliwag #141

brokesailor is on a distinguished road

Very Kewl Dave!
Old 01-28-2013

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

broke-
I was in that situation once. "If I get delayed and hit those 5 kts at the Gate, can I control the boat if my max hull speed is 7 kts? " Skipper was delayed at work, we missed the slack and spent a couple of hours in full racing trim making siz knots through the water and about 100 yards over ground.
So either you "heave to" that way, or you duck into one of the many amchorages shown on the charts, starting with Little Bay out under the Throgg's Neck Bridge. There are many places designated as anchorages in the far western sound, one purpose of them is as holding areas for traffic that need to time the HG. Most are usually near empty or empty, and if the chart says "Foul bottom" you may want to think twice before tossing an anchor into it.
The west channel of the East River is the primary one, the lower bridge clearance in the east channel is only 40' and they're not going to raise it for you unless the west channel is closed. There's some nonsense with hydrogenerators being tested in the west channel, if one is being pulled or lowered it might be closed, that should be scheduled ahead of time.

As for Hussar Gold...The Army undermined the entire HellGate area, blew up a couple of small islands that no longer exist, lowered the bed of the entire river about ten feet in that area. At the time it was the biggest explosion ever. Whatever might have been on the river bottom, it is unlikely anyone will ever find any trace of it. Folks go through HG today and wonder about the name. Well, it hasn't really been The Hell Gate in nearly 100 years now.

Back then, no ecological studies, no waffling around, just "Hey, we can fix this" and BOOM they did.
Old 01-28-2013
Yamsailor

Yamsailor is on a distinguished road

I have done hell gate. You want to be at the Battery at low tide with slack current if you are heading towards LI Sound. If you are leaving LI Sound for NY Harbor you want to be at the Throgsneck bridge one hour before highwater slack. If you follow these recommendations, you can do 14 over the ground.

Do not travel against the current, it is very dangerous-especially for an aux-powered sailboat.

Enjoy.
Old 01-28-2013

genieskip is on a distinguished road

Eldrige is your friend.I have been going around Manhattan, from the Hudson R to New England and Nova Scotia every year for more than a decade. Look up the high and low water times at the Battery and then go to the pages that show the current, with speed arrows and numbers indexed back to the Battery times. Remember that the high and low water water times are not the same as the flood and ebb current times. Threw me for a loop the first time I rounded. I usually prefer the sleigh ride going through with current going with me. Have topped 14 kts SOG and it is fun going by the cars on the East River Drive when they are slowed to a crawl and you are speeding by, thinking back on all the times I was in their shoes. I have also gone through with the tide going against me and making all of 2 kts or so SOG.

Note that the times for ebb and flow on the East and Hudson Rivers differ. If you study Eldrige carefully, and time it just right, you can have fair current all the way around the Island. I also agree the the area under the bridges between Manhattan and Brooklyn is more of a "white knuckles" part of the trip than Hells Gate. Those ferries go like bats out of hell and the amount of traffic is unbelievable. Don't try it at night until you've done it a couple of times.

Last edited by genieskip; 01-28-2013 at 02:25 PM. Reason: remembered something to add.
Old 04-17-2013

talbot is on a distinguished road

[/QUOTE]I also agree the the area under the bridges between Manhattan and Brooklyn is more of a "white knuckles" part of the trip than Hells Gate. Those ferries go like bats out of hell and the amount of traffic is unbelievable. Don't try it at night until you've done it a couple of times.[/QUOTE]

Have read and will follow all the good suggestions given so far. We are going to be transiting South this spring in our Dufour 31 w/ 8 horse power diesel. In other words, not a lot of extra power to horse her around all those ferries, especially going downstream.
So what are the practical protocols sailboats use to avoid close calls and T-bone crashes with larger cross river traffic when passing through here?
What are they expecting us to do, other than to stay the heck out of their way of course?
What's the best shore to keep to, if any?
We are headed to A/H, our new home port.
Thanks,
Talbot
Old 04-18-2013
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

Talbot,
No shore is any guarantee.
Just keep out of the way of the bigger guys out there.
Travel with the current which you can find in the Eldridge Tide & Pilot manual. Keep vhf radio on 16/13/11.
The UN Building is something to keep your distance from.
Go down the west side of of Roosevelt Island.
Keep a vigilant lookout.
Consider keeping the main sail only up as it may catch some favorable wind.
Make sure your engine is dependable.

If you catch the current right you can be in NY Harbor in < 2 hours from passing under the Throgg's Neck Bridge.

Everybody has one:

Old 04-18-2013
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

There are a lot of ferries darting every which way, especially at transit times but I've always found them to leave you plenty of room. The water taxi captains seem to be capable and courteous. Just know the rules of the road, keep to stb if possible to let commercial traffic by. Go with the flow! There are sometimes some standing waves by the Williamsburg Bridge that are fun to go through at 10 knots. There's a nice little anchorage behind the SOL to wait and you can wait on the Throgs side right across, just south of Kings Pt MM Academy. Download current charts for the area on the NOAA website:Current Station Locations and Ranges I find these current tables very helpful. They need no translation from TIDE table info. Eldridge has some very good graphic current/time images of NY Harbor.

Last edited by smurphny; 04-18-2013 at 10:15 AM.