Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2013

jackdale will become famous soon enough
Re: Run down by a Tug or Barge

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabnis View Post
And? Did you shoot him? Radar must be nice, maybe in my next life?

Paul T
Paul - you know I am unarmed. I met the other sailboat at the float.

If I have a forced choice between radar and a chartplotter, I will go with radar.

I require radar on any boat that I take offshore. I do like a simple GPS with lat long. When I rendezvoused with the container ship last summer the simple GPS got me to the location. AIS did help me to spot the container ship 25 miles away.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-29-2013
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road

as sailors, it is our responsibility to make sure we stay clear of those vessels and theor tows as they are not as maneuverable as are we. besides, we are supposed to grant 500 ft of safety zone for them under pat-riot act....so, how did they get into a collision, unless they didnt keep good watch.....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

formosa 41,ahoomail cruising

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 01-29-2013

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

Seems to be a misnomer on the thread title.

They weren't run down by a tug or barge, they cut between a tug and barge.

In the absence of a well calibrated radar, and a qualified operator of that radar it is vitally important that a) the watch fully understands light configurations and b) the skipper opts to sail with caution in busy waterways.

Let's be honest here. Assuming they were keeping a watch - the skipper opted to cut between two vessels that were moving at speed and only 900 feet apart.
6kts is roughly 600 feet per minute.
Seriously, they couldn't wait and pass astern?
jrd22 likes this.
Old 01-29-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

There's not a lot of detail on the SF incident, but the report on the Vancouver mishap found plenty of blame to spread around.

I would certainly hope that nobody would intentionally attempt to pass between a tug and its tow.. Most of these types of collisions come out of a lack of awareness that there was a tow in the picture. Add darkness, too many passengers and that attendant distraction, a new boater and the potential is magnified.. and if the tow operator adds factors of his own it's downright scary.

This type of thing hammers home the wisdom of taking the various power and sail squadron courses or equivalents.
jrd22 likes this.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 01-29-2013
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road

being between tug and tow is still the responsibilty of the sailor to prevent. is a very sad place to find self in, an d is difficult to avoid, unless you know how to read the tug's lights or signals..
jrd22 likes this.

formosa 41,ahoomail cruising

Old 01-29-2013

dabnis is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
Paul - you know I am unarmed. I met the other sailboat at the float.

If I have a forced choice between radar and a chartplotter, I will go with radar.

I require radar on any boat that I take offshore. I do like a simple GPS with lat long. When I rendezvoused with the container ship last summer the simple GPS got me to the location. AIS did help me to spot the container ship 25 miles away.
Right, I thought about that after I posted, wrong boat. All the great navigation tools available now. When my dad and I had a commercial salmon troller out of San Francisco we had a compass and an auto pilot, which made for some scary times going out the ship channel in the fog. No gun on board?

Paul T
Old 01-29-2013

Enhydras is on a distinguished road

you guys do realise that a vessel under tow is limited in its ability to maneuver and has right of way over a sailing vessel?
zeehag likes this.
Old 01-29-2013

dabnis is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesR View Post
Seems to be a misnomer on the thread title.

They weren't run down by a tug or barge, they cut between a tug and barge.

In the absence of a well calibrated radar, and a qualified operator of that radar it is vitally important that a) the watch fully understands light configurations and b) the skipper opts to sail with caution in busy waterways.

Let's be honest here. Assuming they were keeping a watch - the skipper opted to cut between two vessels that were moving at speed and only 900 feet apart.
6kts is roughly 600 feet per minute.
Seriously, they couldn't wait and pass astern?
Chuckles,

I only know what I read in the first post. It appears that even at this time the details are a bit sparse:

Latitude 38 - 'Lectronic Latitude (second article down)

Not that it matters a whole lot, but from the article they were not in the Three Bridges Race. Bottom line is that they are extremely lucky to be alive. The water in the bay this time of year can be in the low 50's.

Paul T
Old 01-29-2013

jackdale will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enhydras View Post
you guys do realise that a vessel under tow is limited in its ability to maneuver and has right of way over a sailing vessel?
Just to get picky

There is no right of way.

RAM would apply to the towing vessel IF they showed the appropriate dayshapes or lights.

Do anyone know if this was in the TSS? If so, rule 10 applies. There may also be harbour regulations in play.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 01-29-2013
Yamsailor

Yamsailor is on a distinguished road

Well folks,

Lets not forget Colregs # 9 and 18.

Colregs #9:

In Rule 9 a vessel proceeding along the course of a narrow channel or fairway is obliged to keep "as near to the outer limit of the channel or fairway which lies on her starboard side as is safe and practicable." The same Rule obliges a vessel of less than 20 metres in length or a sailing vessel not to impede the passage of a vessel "which can safely navigate only within a narrow channel or fairway."

The Rule also forbids ships to cross a narrow channel or fairway "if such crossing impedes the passage of a vessel which can safely navigate only within such channel or fairway." The meaning "not to impede" was classified by an amendment to Rule 8 in 1987. A new paragraph (f) was added, stressing that a vessel which was required not to impede the passage of another vessel should take early action to allow sufficient sea room for the safe passage of the other vessel. Such vessel was obliged to fulfil this obligation also when taking avoiding action in accordance with the steering and sailing rules when risk of collision exists.

Rule 18: "The Pecking Order"
Not Under Command
Restricted Ability to Maneovre (often, but not always, displayed when tugs are pushing or towing)
Constrained By Draft (International Only)
Fish (Commercial Only)
Sail
Power
Seaplane
Wing-in-Ground

Last edited by Yamsailor; 01-29-2013 at 02:16 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.