SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Seamanship & Navigation (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/seamanship-navigation/)
-   -   Run down by a Tug or Barge (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/seamanship-navigation/96160-run-down-tug-barge.html)

dabnis 01-28-2013 02:41 PM

Run down by a Tug or Barge

It can happen, motor on or off. Not a lot of details, but interesting:

Boat sinks near Golden Gate Bridge; 2 saved - SFGate

Paul T

nolatom 01-28-2013 05:22 PM

Re: Run down by a Tug or Barge

Who knows? One man's "run down by (tug, barge, or both)" may be another man's "sailed right in front of (same same)". the article doesn't give us enough info to know which. Glad they were rescued and are okay.

I tend to step up for the large commercial vessel(s) just on general principle at least initially, since on the sailing forums there can be a tendency to do the opposite ("maybe they were run down by a ship") and assume the ships like to do hit-runs and sail away laughing. Once the facts are known, often we learn there was no ship anywhere near--or, there was and the navigators tried to communicate and avoid, but just couldn't. And then stayed to rescue the crew.

And yes, I know sometimes ships hit sailboat and are unaware it even happened, and I don't defend that, just that it shouldn't be our automatic opening salvo.

PS Dabnis, I'm not attributing this to you, am just saying in general.

jackdale 01-28-2013 05:50 PM

Were they in the TSS?

Faster 01-28-2013 06:26 PM

We had a similar incident in Vancouver several years ago - in the dark after a summertime floating fireworks display. As cool as it is to watch fireworks this way, with the congestion, the dark, the inebriates the harbour is an insane zoo for an hour or two in the aftermath.

A 30-something power vessel ran into/got pulled under by a tug and tow coming out of a tidal narrows at the harbour entrance. Never saw the final analysis of that one, but it can happen pretty easily. I agree that for the most part the pros have those situations well in hand... but I'm sure there are exceptions too.

jackdale 01-28-2013 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faster (Post 982415)
We had a similar incident in Vancouver several years ago - in the dark after a summertime floating fireworks display. As cool as it is to watch fireworks this way, with the congestion, the dark, the inebriates the harbour is an insane zoo for an hour or two in the aftermath.

A 30-something power vessel ran into/got pulled under by a tug and tow coming out of a tidal narrows at the harbour entrance. Never saw the final analysis of that one, but it can happen pretty easily. I agree that for the most part the pros have those situations well in hand... but I'm sure there are exceptions too.

here is the report

Quote:

The tug Jose Narvaez was outbound from Vancouver harbour, at night, towing the coal-laden barge Texada B.C. on a 274 m cable towline. The operator of the pleasure craft Sunboy did not realize that they were approaching a tug/tow combination and passed between the tug and the barge. The propellers of the Sunboy became fouled in the towline, and the pleasure craft was struck by the on-coming barge, and capsized. As a result, some people were thrown into the water and others were trapped within the vessel's enclosed spaces. Of the 14 people who had been on board the Sunboy, nine were rescued and survived, four drowned and one remains missing and is presumed drowned.
Transportation Safety Board | Home

Some interesting findings in this one.

jackdale 01-28-2013 06:35 PM

I just about got run down in Goletas Channel by a tug and tow that came out the fog behind me while I was under sail.

dabnis 01-28-2013 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackdale (Post 982419)
I just about got run down in Goletas Channel by a tug and tow that came out the fog behind me while I was under sail.

The Three Bridges Race was going on, not sure if that boat was participating? Really doesn't matter I guess, unless the boat was"racing" and decided to take a chance? : Sailing Anarchy

I too, have been surprised from behind, more than once. Fortunately, we had time to take evassive action. I guess the tendency is to focus on what is in front of you?

Paul T

dabnis 01-28-2013 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackdale (Post 982404)
Were they in the TSS?

Missed this, I think they were in the area just east of the Golden Gate Bridge, called the "slot". Everything sort of funnels down in that area and there is LOTS of commercial traffic going through there:

Chart 18649

Paul T

jackdale 01-28-2013 07:07 PM

We were monitoring the tug on radar. When he came out of the fog he altered course towards us.

In retrospect I should have contacted him on the VHF. He almost ran down another boat later. The two us met up at the float in Bull Harbour.

dabnis 01-28-2013 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackdale (Post 982435)
We were monitoring the tug on radar. When he came out of the fog he altered course towards us.

In retrospect I should have contacted him on the VHF. He almost ran down another boat later. The two us met up at the float in Bull Harbour.

And? Did you shoot him? :D Radar must be nice, maybe in my next life?

Paul T