Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2013

IMAnonymous is on a distinguished road
Re: Details on this 'lost at sea' story?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjango View Post

I know I know.....they probably used the survey to pull the seller's pants down to his ankles on the price of the boat .
I think we can guarantee that because, had they bought it "subject to survey", the owner would have had to correct the faults to get his price. It meant they were trying to get a boat for less than the "subject to survey price" from day one. They probably couldn't afford one that passed.

So they went looking for a lemon, found one, and bargained for a wooden coffin. I'd say they knew it too. Even on a wood boat how many boaters are carrying two 2x4's and probably 10-12 penny nails? A 2x4 is not a hull plank and it's not a rib or not a mast. It's for shoring. He expected trouble.

Pretty good odds too he was also pumping the bilge of water before he even left (Which is why he didn't wait until November to come back. If he waited until then it probably would have sunk at the dock.). He was probably crossing the Pacific in a losing race with his bilge water and simply said nothing to anyone about it, figuring he could make it before her seams opened up. Once the water reached his batteries, no more pump and no more radio. But, like everybody else, I'm just guessing.

Him I don't I don't have much sympathy for. Her? Odds are she followed the leader - right to the bottom. But, as previously mentioned, the surprise is there aren't more stories like this.

What's the lesson? "Cheap" and "safe" are not always synonymous - Or maybe it's "At sea a shim is worth more than a 2x4"?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-21-2013
A palapa awaits me...

Razcar is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Razcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMAnonymous View Post
But, like everybody else, I'm just guessing.

What's the lesson? "Cheap" and "safe" are not always synonymous - Or maybe it's "At sea a shim is worth more than a 2x4"?
Thank you IMAnonymous, for weaving a silky veil of truthiness around a cracking foundation of supposition, assumption, and presumption. You wrote that as if you were actually looking over their shoulder during the buying process, and sailed with them in it during their last miles. You seem to bring such authority on the matter without actually having any first or second-hand knowledge about either their boat or them as people, yet still you come to such concise and confident conclusions.

I'm hoping you don't investigate accidents for the Coast Guard or NTSB, otherwise we'd all be in trouble.
Chris38 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-21-2013

sailguy40 is on a distinguished road

I am a lake/coastal guy, not even a cruiser and this here is something I would have never done. You can always plan to go at a better time. That would be like me planning a trip to the Bahamas during hurricane season. I would wait and go OFF hurricane season...

Quote:
"Two hundred miles after setting off from Tahiti -- anticipating such a relaxed and tropical journey -- we realized we'd be going through a potential hurricane zone . . . and that August is the worst possible month. Ahhh . . . it's always something," Steele wrote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMAnonymous View Post
Him I don't I don't have much sympathy for.
I do, and also their families considering I have no idea what happened to them.

"The sound of the sea, is becoming very familiar to me."
Old 02-21-2013

IMAnonymous is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Details on this 'lost at sea' story?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razcar View Post
Thank you IMAnonymous, for weaving a silky veil of truthiness around a cracking foundation of supposition, assumption, and presumption. You wrote that as if you were actually looking over their shoulder during the buying process, and sailed with them in it during their last miles. You seem to bring such authority on the matter without actually having any first or second-hand knowledge about either their boat or them as people, yet still you come to such concise and confident conclusions.
It was offered as a best guess. You even quoted me saying that. Evidentally, you failed to notice what you quoted.

I think one should debate why a boat disappears. It might save somebody else. The guy buys a boat that fails survey, comes in with his boom nailed together with two 2x4's, and crosses in October but that shouldn't be noted??

Quote:
I'm hoping you don't investigate accidents for the Coast Guard or NTSB, otherwise we'd all be in trouble.
And I'm hoping you're not teaching safety classes.

Tags
lost at sea , wooden ketch