SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Seamanship & Navigation (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/seamanship-navigation/)
-   -   Details on this 'lost at sea' story? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/seamanship-navigation/96634-details-lost-sea-story.html)

Razcar 02-14-2013 03:11 PM

Details on this 'lost at sea' story?

Hey Everyone,

I've been following Lucid Salt for quite a while and he posted this story recently. I'm curious if anyone has heard this one and if there are any additional details that are available.

Sailing a Pearson Alberg 35: The Lee Shore

I found this link, but am curious if there are additional details/developments.

Vanished - without a trace

"It's a mystery at sea, full of omens good and ill. Chris Malchow, 31, of Victoria, and Courtenay Steele, 27, of Saltspring Island, set out Sept. 8 to sail from Hawaii to Victoria, and vanished."

MarkofSeaLife 02-14-2013 03:37 PM

Re: Details on this 'lost at sea' story?

Quote:

The yard owner was telling me of a cruising couple on a budget who bought a low priced 30ft wooden ketch. They had it surveyed and the surveyor had told the couple not to buy the boat(one of the details was that the chain plates were moving). With the all too familiar enthusiasm, they went for it anyway.
ho hum.

Fortunately theres very few of these types of sinkings. 2007 to 2013 is pretty good with so few... but, obviously, they can happen.

vega1860 02-14-2013 07:06 PM

Considering some of the boats I have seen people take off in from Hawaii, I am surprised that there are not more of this sort of story.

PCP 02-14-2013 08:20 PM

Sad but avoidable and predictable. Lots of people have warned them.

Just some days ago a guy was rescued out of Australia, sailing at 50 South in a 35ft light boat:rolleyes: and I heard that a guy is staring a circumnavigation in a 7.7m light boat:rolleyes: not to mention a re-incident Swedish that want to circumnavigate in a boat a little bigger than a bath tub:rolleyes:

Sailing and crossing oceans involve always a risk...the question is what is an acceptable risk, for the guys that are doing it, for the ones that have to rescue them and for the ones that are paying those rescues.

IMAnonymous 02-15-2013 10:09 AM

Crossing in October was probably the mistake. November and they might have made it.

tjvanginkel 02-15-2013 11:39 AM

Sadly there have been no new developments. Nothing has been found of them or their ship.
My mother knows the young mans mother so this haunts her a bit when I talk about our cruising plans.......

Razcar 02-15-2013 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjvanginkel (Post 990506)
Sadly there have been no new developments. Nothing has been found of them or their ship.
My mother knows the young mans mother so this haunts her a bit when I talk about our cruising plans.......

Thank you for sharing this.

I came across their still-active Flikr feed. Paging through it, I can't help but really connect with them and they sense of freedom and adventure. It certainly adds faces to the story. It becomes a bit more than just another story. Here it is:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/76197564@N00/970762939/

wayne56 02-19-2013 12:36 AM

Given the number of cruisers making passages every year it's amazing how seldom I hear of losses like this. My feeling is that most ocean sailors and their boats are pretty well prepared before setting out on a crossing. Any thoughts from others who hang with the long distance crowd?

During an Atlantic crossing with two pilots a few years ago there was lots of time to talk about the typical combo of human error, equipment problems and external forces (like weather) that come together to cause most aviation disasters. Same with sailing.....and it seems like this storey fits right into that pattern.

Last thought....I hope that both partners were equally 'eyes open' on the risks they were taking....then it is their adventure and their lives to live, however tragic the outcome. Not sure that is typically the case where you might have a strong willed overly eager skipper.

IMAnonymous 02-20-2013 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wayne56 (Post 992108)
Given the number of cruisers making passages every year it's amazing how seldom I hear of losses like this. My feeling is that most ocean sailors and their boats are pretty well prepared before setting out on a crossing. Any thoughts from others who hang with the long distance crowd?

They last pulled in with a "broken boom" nailed together with two 2x4's. This suggests a wooden boom. For a wooden boom to break at sea is to me, unheard of. It suggests to me the boom was rotted (and severely rotted) and, if that's the case, this boat was in serious condition (as in "sink at the dock" condition). Crossing the Pacific in October in a boat that failed survey is an invitation to trouble.

Quote:

Last thought....I hope that both partners were equally 'eyes open' on the risks they were taking....then it is their adventure and their lives to live, however tragic the outcome. Not sure that is typically the case where you might have a strong willed overly eager skipper.
I suppose they had to go in eyes "wide open" on a boat that failed survey. But why survey a boat that you're going to buy anyway even if it fails? It's the sign of a "strong willed overly eager" buyer. They liked the price and got what they paid for.

kjango 02-20-2013 02:45 PM

But why survey a boat that you're going to buy anyway even if it fails?

I know I know.....they probably used the survey to pull the seller's pants down to his ankles on the price of the boat . They might have though...." Oh boy , more money to spend in Hawaii. ?