Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2013
A palapa awaits me...

Razcar is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Razcar
Details on this 'lost at sea' story?

Hey Everyone,

I've been following Lucid Salt for quite a while and he posted this story recently. I'm curious if anyone has heard this one and if there are any additional details that are available.

Sailing a Pearson Alberg 35: The Lee Shore

I found this link, but am curious if there are additional details/developments.

Vanished - without a trace

"It's a mystery at sea, full of omens good and ill. Chris Malchow, 31, of Victoria, and Courtenay Steele, 27, of Saltspring Island, set out Sept. 8 to sail from Hawaii to Victoria, and vanished."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-14-2013

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road
Re: Details on this 'lost at sea' story?

Quote:
The yard owner was telling me of a cruising couple on a budget who bought a low priced 30ft wooden ketch. They had it surveyed and the surveyor had told the couple not to buy the boat(one of the details was that the chain plates were moving). With the all too familiar enthusiasm, they went for it anyway.
ho hum.

Fortunately theres very few of these types of sinkings. 2007 to 2013 is pretty good with so few... but, obviously, they can happen.
Old 02-14-2013
Swab

vega1860 is on a distinguished road

Considering some of the boats I have seen people take off in from Hawaii, I am surprised that there are not more of this sort of story.

Old 02-14-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough

Sad but avoidable and predictable. Lots of people have warned them.

Just some days ago a guy was rescued out of Australia, sailing at 50ļ South in a 35ft light boat and I heard that a guy is staring a circumnavigation in a 7.7m light boat not to mention a re-incident Swedish that want to circumnavigate in a boat a little bigger than a bath tub

Sailing and crossing oceans involve always a risk...the question is what is an acceptable risk, for the guys that are doing it, for the ones that have to rescue them and for the ones that are paying those rescues.

Old 02-15-2013

IMAnonymous is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Details on this 'lost at sea' story?

Crossing in October was probably the mistake. November and they might have made it.
Old 02-15-2013

tjvanginkel is on a distinguished road

Sadly there have been no new developments. Nothing has been found of them or their ship.
My mother knows the young mans mother so this haunts her a bit when I talk about our cruising plans.......
Old 02-15-2013
A palapa awaits me...

Razcar is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Razcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjvanginkel View Post
Sadly there have been no new developments. Nothing has been found of them or their ship.
My mother knows the young mans mother so this haunts her a bit when I talk about our cruising plans.......
Thank you for sharing this.

I came across their still-active Flikr feed. Paging through it, I can't help but really connect with them and they sense of freedom and adventure. It certainly adds faces to the story. It becomes a bit more than just another story. Here it is:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/76197564@N00/970762939/

Old 02-18-2013
Mirage32

wayne56 is on a distinguished road

Given the number of cruisers making passages every year it's amazing how seldom I hear of losses like this. My feeling is that most ocean sailors and their boats are pretty well prepared before setting out on a crossing. Any thoughts from others who hang with the long distance crowd?

During an Atlantic crossing with two pilots a few years ago there was lots of time to talk about the typical combo of human error, equipment problems and external forces (like weather) that come together to cause most aviation disasters. Same with sailing.....and it seems like this storey fits right into that pattern.

Last thought....I hope that both partners were equally 'eyes open' on the risks they were taking....then it is their adventure and their lives to live, however tragic the outcome. Not sure that is typically the case where you might have a strong willed overly eager skipper.
Razcar likes this.
Old 02-20-2013

IMAnonymous is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Re: Details on this 'lost at sea' story?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne56 View Post
Given the number of cruisers making passages every year it's amazing how seldom I hear of losses like this. My feeling is that most ocean sailors and their boats are pretty well prepared before setting out on a crossing. Any thoughts from others who hang with the long distance crowd?
They last pulled in with a "broken boom" nailed together with two 2x4's. This suggests a wooden boom. For a wooden boom to break at sea is to me, unheard of. It suggests to me the boom was rotted (and severely rotted) and, if that's the case, this boat was in serious condition (as in "sink at the dock" condition). Crossing the Pacific in October in a boat that failed survey is an invitation to trouble.

Quote:
Last thought....I hope that both partners were equally 'eyes open' on the risks they were taking....then it is their adventure and their lives to live, however tragic the outcome. Not sure that is typically the case where you might have a strong willed overly eager skipper.
I suppose they had to go in eyes "wide open" on a boat that failed survey. But why survey a boat that you're going to buy anyway even if it fails? It's the sign of a "strong willed overly eager" buyer. They liked the price and got what they paid for.
Old 02-20-2013
Orange is the new black.

kjango is on a distinguished road

But why survey a boat that you're going to buy anyway even if it fails?

I know I know.....they probably used the survey to pull the seller's pants down to his ankles on the price of the boat . They might have though...." Oh boy , more money to spend in Hawaii. ?

Tags
lost at sea , wooden ketch