Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

Like Tree67Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road
Re: Tips on Watch Standing

Think it's important to keep tract of your crew. Keep a private informal log ( little spiral note book). Stuff to jot down
1.are they eating enough
2.are they drinking enough
3. are they peeing and pooping ( easy monitor of hydration)
4.are they getting along with their watch mate. Have they seen their watchmate do anything questionable or objectionable
5. Do they seem happy and content
6.Are they volenteering for ship chores and being active ( marker of general health)
7. Is their skin ok- sunburn/passage pimples/rashes
8. Any other health issues particular to that person

Most people do best when you talk to them in private. I'm easily distracted and find little book ( don't tell anyone about it) helps me check off these issues when you have a private moment wth each person. Sail with some stoical people who would never tell you these kind of things unless you ask - so a checklist reminds me to ask.
Old 03-03-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Very nicely done. And I think the diagrams/placards are a great idea.

"...When you come on watch and before going topside, check the bilges..." Do you add a routine check of the thru-hulls as well at some point? Head and galley thru-hulls kept closed when not actually in use?

(“water on the outside”). Review the log entries from the time you were last on watch. Check any “standing orders” from the skipper. If it’s night time, run through the radar scans. Note the barometric pressure. Has it changed in the last few log entries?

" If the engine is running, check the operating gauges and fuel level in the day tank."
Check the oil dipstick too, or do you rely on the oil pressure/temp gauges?

" Assemble your diversions: iPod, book, etc."
I've always been of split mind on that. I like to listen to music, but without sight (because it is dark) AND without sound, the watch is impaired at night. Even for sail trim, I can hear the sail shifting before I will see it and earbuds would block that. And also block monitoring the radio. They're fun, but...?

"Wake the next watch 10-15 minutes their scheduled time to relieve you."
If you're going below to operate the radar every 20? minutes? Coming back down at 15 is pointless, might as well wake the next watch when you finish a "20 of" radar pass.

"You see any smoke, " Given the way things can happen, physically seeing any smoke might be a good reason to call ALL HANDS and wake everyone, not just the skipper. Bear in mind that your cushions are probably polyurethane foam, which generates cyanide and other good things. If a cushion is on fire, you want everyone on deck or firefighting ASAP.
davidpm likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-04-2013

jackdale will become famous soon enough

A couple of suggested additions / changes

I want a horizon scan evry 10 minutes

If changing course, I want 360 visual and radar scan.

I want to know about any vessel in sight.

I want the barometer reading and trend recorded every watch change.

Inform me of darkening skies to windward.

Hatches and ports are closed prior to leaving the dock and never opened. The companionway hatch is kept closed.
davidpm likes this.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 03-04-2013

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

Okay, no experience sailing trans ocean, but from Navy times and blog reading

On daytime watch changes I'd add a deck walk down / rigging / chaffing check unless you consider that a skippers only responsibility. Tethered of course. That also makes them more familiar with tethered work on deck.

If in shipping lanes, no distractions, no books etc. Constant scan (that's what watch means).

At night, tethered no matter where you are. Especially if alone.
If more than one on watch, one is tethered at all times.

Clean the cockpit at relief, no debris (some people need to be told that). On coming watch determines when it's clean enough.

The first act of the watch is to update the log,
The last act of the watch is to update the log.
davidpm, chef2sail and dacap06 like this.
Old 03-04-2013

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

Well, you guys seem to have taken all the fun out of being on watch and made it an administrative ordeal, a technical science to full every moment and a perfect recipe for an obsessive compulsive nit picker.

Remember Captain Bligh had to do a lonnnnnng row because he treated the crew like jerks.

Lighten up and watch for dolphins! Watch for whales too... Not because you are paranoid of hitting them but because they are few and far between and are miracles of natures world!

Mark
PS how can someone who can't spell know the Spell Checker is working?i
Old 03-04-2013
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road

my watches are comfortable and functional and not micromanaged. works well...i generally have had experienced crew--i prefer that to inexperienced crew--i donot need to micromanage anyone--btdt for over 30 yrs as rn in intensive care units and emergency rooms and post anes care.....i leave on a low level light sono other light neds be used below during nights. this low level yellow light does not seem to interfere with night vision. i found the light from the gps much more of a problem in that regard...
there is much sea life to observe and sometimes even interact with.
billyruffn and MarkofSeaLife like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-04-2013
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough

Great tips.

I'd move these two up higher on the list, so that they are done before releiving the earlier watch:

Quote:
Check the steering / handling. How hard is the autopilot working? Is the boat holding course? Where is the braided knot on wheel? Anything greater than 90 deg either side of center is an indication that itís time to reef. If weíre sailing, whatís the angle of heel? As it begins to approach and hold near 20 degrees, itís probably time to reef.
Quote:
Check the steering / handling. How hard is the autopilot working? Is the boat holding course? Where is the braided knot on wheel? Anything greater than 90 deg either side of center is an indication that itís time to reef.
And only because solid grammar/etc. decreases confusion, I'd add the words "prior to" so it reads like this:

Quote:
Wake the next watch 10-15 minutes prior to their scheduled time to relieve you.

Are you sailing straight through, or stopping off in Greenland or Iceland along the way?

Regards,
Brad

. .

. .
. .
. .
. .
Old 03-04-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

And with jack's mention of hatches, what is anyone doing to ensure that hatchboards can't be lost during a knock-down? Just keeping the hatch itself closed over them? Or pinning through them?

Usually the answer is "nothing" and I keep wondering what other alternatives there are.
Old 03-04-2013

jackdale will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
And with jack's mention of hatches, what is anyone doing to ensure that hatchboards can't be lost during a knock-down? Just keeping the hatch itself closed over them? Or pinning through them?

Usually the answer is "nothing" and I keep wondering what other alternatives there are.
With multi-piece boards - attach eye screws/bolts and run a line through them. You could tie the line to another eye attached to the boat.

I have been on boats with hinged boards that are attached to either side of the companionway.

The C&C 44 has a board that is only about 3-4 inches high.

The bigger concern for me is getting pooped which is more probable than a knockdown.

On tethers - my preference is to place tethers at convenient spots and boat and then use the appropriate tether. I like about 4 in the cockpit, one is each corner. Two on each jackline, one at the base of the mast and one on the bow. You attach the new one before releasing the old one. This does not work with Spinlock tethers which are cow hitched to the vest.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 03-04-2013
Plausible Deniability

jack, last I checked the ORC called for hatchboard restraints that could be operated from inside or outside the cabin, which makes very good sense since you don't want to trap crew below--or exclude them. Eyebolts just wouldn't do it.

Fastpins through the track and board, with a "punch" to push them out from the wrong side, would. But that's kinda kludgy too.