Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

Like Tree67Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2013
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Re: Tips on Watch Standing

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedSailor View Post
Also, I believe the long-standing customary waking for someone who overslept their turn at the watch is a bucket of cold seawater.
I had one crewmember that could not make watch on time. I asked the watchstander before her to wake her earlier until she made it. We got to 45 minutes before watch and she still was habitually 5 to 10 minutes late.

The two pots of coffee she spilled on the carpet didn't help my assessment of her.

I put her on a plane in the next port.
chef2sail and jackdale like this.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-01-2013
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
I had one crewmember that could not make watch on time. I asked the watchstander before her to wake her earlier until she made it. We got to 45 minutes before watch and she still was habitually 5 to 10 minutes late.

The two pots of coffee she spilled on the carpet didn't help my assessment of her.

I put her on a plane in the next port.
In college when I was up late all the time, and still needing the sleep of a teenager, I had a hard time making some of my early classes. My roommate and I created the perfect system. Actually we had 2 systems.

1: If he had to get up, I set my alarm, and I was not allowed to go back to sleep until he got up or vice versa. No snooze alarm here, just pure motivation to get the other AFOC out of bed ASAP!

2: (This one is my favorite) I would set an alarm and have the coffee pot ready to go and within reach of the bed. Alarm goes off, press "brew" on the coffee pot and press "snooze" and go back to sleep. 10 minutes later, when the snooze alarm wakes me up, drink 2 cups of coffee (remember it's within reach and I'm still in bed) and press snooze again and go back to sleep. 10 minutes later AWAKEN with caffeinated zeal!

MedSailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
Old 04-01-2013

pcarlson is on a distinguished road

Once use a CO2 fire extinguisher under the blanket of a habitually late watch stander. Problem solved.
Old 04-02-2013
Mermaid Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcarlson View Post
Once use a CO2 fire extinguisher under the blanket of a habitually late watch stander. Problem solved.
An entertaining story, but a week from landfall that kind of behavior will contribute to a spiral in relationships aboard that will make the passage miserable for everyone.
zeehag likes this.

Old 04-02-2013

SVAuspicious,
True but we were working. it was a fishing boat not passage making or pleasure. Didn't have that problem when passage making. Crew selection is everything.
zeehag likes this.
Old 04-02-2013
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road

selection is everything, yes--is why i try to have potential crew somewhere very close by until i plan on leaving---so i can know what to kinda expect from them, behavior wise....so far, i have avoided 3 not so sane souls as crew ...please dear gods and guardian angels may i continue to have such awesome fortune!!!

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward

Old 04-02-2013
Mermaid Hunter

Quote:
SVAuspicious,
True but we were working. it was a fishing boat not passage making or pleasure. Didn't have that problem when passage making. Crew selection is everything.
I agree that there is a big difference between volunteer crew delivering a recreational boat and a paid position on a commercial vessel. Still, that kind of hazing is simply bad management. "You're fired" should be adequate.
jackdale likes this.

Old 04-02-2013

True enough, but in my defense, I was not the captain and it was a long way from shore. He did get squared away after that and a little talk from the crew. We were young, all of us. Pages from my misspent youth.
Old 04-02-2013
Mermaid Hunter

Quote:
True enough, but in my defense, I was not the captain and it was a long way from shore. He did get squared away after that and a little talk from the crew. We were young, all of us. Pages from my misspent youth.
True enough. The floor brush we used on a classmate in college who decided that he didn't need to shower regularly was effective also. That doesn't mean it was a good idea, or that it contributed to our ability to manage teams.

They're funny stories, but they are not good advice.

Old 04-03-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road

Had similar experience on coastal cruise with multiple overnight hops. Took person aside and asked "whatsup?". Found out had bad knee and would take motrin then go back to sleep for 1/2h until NSAID hit. Took him off rotation and made him the cook. Everyone happy and cooking/cleaning off my list. Sometimes it pays to ask before thinking some one's a jerk.
AdamLein and jackdale like this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.