Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2004

mdougan is on a distinguished road
What should I have done?

I agree... my first reaction is to sheet out the main to depower it, then bear off a bit... heading up is good if you can''t uncleat the main, but it causes extensive flogging.

One other option, though it probably wouldn''t work with a big genoa up, would be to instantly tack, but leave the headsail cleated on the new windward side (backwinded), then push the tiller to leeward (turn the wheel to windward) and lock/lash it to effectively heave-to. Then, you could probably start to reduce sail... heaving to is a good tactic to learn, so, try it out on a less windy day to see how your boat responds.

Anyways it sounds like you did just fine!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-05-2004

cmendoza is on a distinguished road
What should I have done?

Thanks Denr, I appreciate the feedback.
I agree. It bugs the hell out of me to depend on the engine. That''s one reason I posted the message. I figured at least a couple of people would have some suggestions that didn''t involve the engine. I''ll be sure to try your suggested sequence next time I have enough of a breeze out there.

To your point, last September, my wife and I were just about to turn onto our approach to home (Haverstraw Marina) at around 11:00 PM when the engine died. Naturally, it was raining, the weather was nasty and we were going against the current!

Anyway, after a number of expletives and several failed attempts to re-start (as we start to drift down river right towards the huge green buoy G25), it occurred to me that the SV in SV Rocinante stood for sailing vessel! I unfurled about 5-6 feet of the jib and slowly guided her into the marina and gently put her in her slip. OK, so the anchor did hit the dock-box, but all in all not bad. I donít have to tell you I was proud as all hell that I got her home under sail.

Thanks again for the great advise,

Carlos
SV Rocinante

Old 06-05-2004

What should I have done?

Thanks Maestro.
You nailed the location. That is exactly where we were. (just south of G31)
Yes, I have full confidence in my vessel; it''s the captain that still needs to garner more experience points!

Thanks again,

Carlos
SV Rocinante
Old 06-05-2004

What should I have done?

Thanks Mdougan.
Funny, I''ve heaved to on a number of occasions, I guess it just didn''t come to mind since I never used it to get out of a situation like this before...

Thanks again,

Carlos
SV Rocinante
Old 06-25-2004

c172guy is on a distinguished road
What should I have done?

First reduce sail. With a roller reefed headsail that is easiest to reduce. Then put a reef in the mainsail. We have a Pearson 323 that doesn''t handle well without a headsail. But with roller reefing the genny has a poor shape. But the good news is that with a lot of wind even a poorly shaped headsail works good enough. I would prefer to have three different size hanked on headsails and may go to that eventually. I don''t know about a C-30. I had a Mac 26 that sailed just fine with only a mainsail. With the mac I would have dropped the genny and maybe put on the working jib and reefed the main. Over 25 knots the mac worked well with a double reefed main alone.
Old 06-25-2004

hamiam is on a distinguished road
What should I have done?

I agree with that advice. Many boats, mine included, dont handle well under main alone.
Old 08-03-2004

Priceless is on a distinguished road
What should I have done?

Another point to consider:

In those conditions it isn''t hard to imagine in the middle of everything else a line going overboard (sheet, halyard, whatever). If your first action is to start the engine, even if it''s out of gear, you have set yourself up for the famous scenario of engine being stopped by line in prop. Won''t happen if the engine isn''t running. If you''ve developed a habit of relying on the engine to get you out of trouble, you''ve most likely neglected the habit of sailing out of trouble.

Frank
Old 09-01-2004

starcresttoo is on a distinguished road
What should I have done?

so you took down all the sails and turned on the motor?when you dont know what to do thats ok,but you should have been more prepaired before you left that day.I single handed to hawaii from california and back on a 26 and a 28 foot sloop.I always ran with nothing bigger thad a good working jib with reef points.They can be used in a blow,or a lite air.when I began to feel the boat start to shake as in from the pumping of the mast,I reefed the main immediately and deeply.And it was always at some absurd hour of the nite like 3am.I amnow prepairing my 4th boat for a shake down cruise from west palm florida,to bermuda,then south to the us virgin isles then back to florida.this will total 3000 miles to add on to my 15000 plus miles of mostly open ocean single handed sailing