Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2013

jackdale will become famous soon enough
Sleeping While at Sea

From Three Sheets Northwest

Quote:
The Coast Guard is warning local boaters to be aware that entire crews of other vessels operating in Washington and Oregon waters might be illegally sleeping.

The International Regulations for Prevention of Collisions at Sea (COLREGS) require that all vessels operating in ocean waters must maintain a proper lookout by sight and hearing at all times. Relying on radar alone is not permissible.

But the Coast Guard says some vessel operators in the Northwest, including commercial fishers, will work all day and then drift at night in open water while the crew sleeps.

“This practice is dangerous and a violation of basic seamanship law,” Dan Hardin, the 13th District’s commercial fishing vessel safety coordinator, said in a release.

The Coast Guard reminds mariners that vessel captains are responsible for maintaining adequate watch-keeping and manning. Violating the rule can result in fines of up to $6,500.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-22-2013

paradiselostparrot is on a distinguished road
Re: Sleeping While at Sea

Sleeping is required by the body.
Old 04-22-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Good post, Jack. Whenever I am near another boat, plane or car, I always assume the operator is sleeping.

First I've heard of a codified fine. Who establishes it and I wonder if anyone has ever actually been fined.
jameswilson29 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 04-22-2013
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
From Three Sheets Northwest
They never be able to enforce this. When there is an accident, all will lie to cover up.
Brent Swain likes this.
Old 04-22-2013

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

If they actually enforced this every single hander who has been out for more than 24 hours should be/could be fined for one count per day at sea.

Instead, they celebrate single handed ocean races.
Old 04-22-2013

flandria is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to flandria

ChucklesR's point is not only well-taken, but it begs the question: the CG is well aware of single-handed racers or voyagers out there, but it is just "understood" that's OK. I have always wondered about/questioned the wisdom of such extended single-handed sailing. I cannot be expected to believe that these folks out there only take catnaps for months at a time!
Old 04-22-2013

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road

Pretty common knowledge that fishing boats, container ships, cruising sail boats don't maintain a proper watch. AIS got you fooled? somebody has to watch it too. Just like radar, no operator, no one listening on VHF, no watch keepers.. Beware at night, and even in the day, we assume NO One is watching.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Old 04-22-2013

jackdale will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by flandria View Post
ChucklesR's point is not only well-taken, but it begs the question: the CG is well aware of single-handed racers or voyagers out there, but it is just "understood" that's OK. I have always wondered about/questioned the wisdom of such extended single-handed sailing. I cannot be expected to believe that these folks out there only take catnaps for months at a time!
Is is not understood as OK by the courts.

Quote:
In a 1984 court case (Granholm v. TFL
Express), a singlehanded yacht, Granholm, was run down from behind by the freighter
TFL Express (WindCheck, “Rules of Engagement,” October 2010.) The owner of the
Granholm sued the Express for failing to maintain a proper lookout (Rule 5) and to give
way to the overtaken vessel (Rule 13). The court agreed – but found the skipper of the
Granholm equally at fault. He was sleeping and thus had no lookout. “The obligation to
maintain a proper lookout falls upon great vessels and small, alike.”
sneuman likes this.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 04-22-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Singlehanding is an interesting point. In the end, no one can argue that it is justifiable to singlehand for longer than you can remain awake. But, it is also fairly common and the skipper is clearly taking a risk.

As for the fine, I assume there is a limit to where the CG has actually impose it. Maybe to the 200nm economic zone, maybe just the 12nm limit. In any case, it might be possible for a singlehander to stay awake within the zone subject to the fine.

James is right, I can't see how it could be enforced unless they boarded you while you were sleeping.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 04-22-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post

As for the fine, I assume there is a limit to where the CG has actually impose it. Maybe to the 200nm economic zone, maybe just the 12nm limit. In any case, it might be possible for a singlehander to stay awake within the zone subject to the fine.

James is right, I can't see how it could be enforced unless they boarded you while you were sleeping.
That is a very good point but then most collisions happen in the 200nm (or not far) and it is where fishing boats are, even the ones that fish offshore.

Regarding solo races I would like to point out that Coastal solo races, like the Figaro are divided in small legs that permit the skipper to be awake the full race.

Only on circumnavigations and Transats solo races the Skippers have to sleep and that can happen out of the 200nm.

Things are not perfect and for instance on the Vendee Globe there were too collisions with fishing boats. It seems that everybody was sleeping in both cases (the fishermen and the racer). I think that in the near future it will be mandatory to have marks that will not allow long range solo racers to come nearer coasts while racing, being the only exception the start and finish.

http://www.soloroundbritain.com/sing...ep-management/

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 04-23-2013 at 06:56 PM.