Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

Like Tree50Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2013

nolatom will become famous soon enough
Re: You are NOT "FISHING"

Yeah, I also think that lack of proper lights and shapes doesn't change your status, you're still off my starboard bow and crossing so you're still privileged under rule 15 even if your red running light is out. But I don't see you til too late and so can't avoid hitting you, despite "perfect" lookout (sans electronics, let's assume). But your failure to "communicate" whether by lights or otherwise, means your 'stand-on' status doesn't do you any good when we get to the who-pays-who stage.

So you still 'are what you are'. But so what? Won't help you if only you knew what you were, and that mystery/my resulting ignorance was all your fault.

Put it another way, if i have a night scope and see your dark boat crossing ahead from stbd, I'm still the give-way boat and have to go under your stern. But you're lucky I had a night scope.

Last edited by nolatom; 05-02-2013 at 02:03 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-02-2013
Fresh water refugee

katsailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

I should mention, that at the level that I instruct, students are expected to know ColRegs and Canadian modifications.

All CYA instructors have to pass a ColRegs test with a mark of 90%.

One question that I remember well is what do you do when you see a blue flashing light on a vessel? Rule 45 (http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/PDF/C.R.C.,_c._1416.pdf)
Sorry I guess I'm slow; Rule 45 only defines who may display a blue flashing light. Not what to do when you see one. My experience is to pull over and get ready for license, registration and insurance and practice my dumb look for when he asks me "Do you know why I pulled you over?" But that is usually on the road

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
S/V Shakti '81 Offshore Cat Ketch 33'
Old 05-02-2013

cupper3 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
Not really - It took forever over at CF to convince folks that a single-handed sailor cannot up 2 red lights or 2 black balls when sleeping. Nor can they put out a sea anchor and use an anchor light. Not everyone was convinced.
I thought I read the thread on CF where this is discussed, but not sure if I got a definitive understanding of Rule 27.

Why would it NOT be appropriate for a single handed sailboat to display the double red when the skipper is asleep? The boat is clearly not under command in that situation, or is my interpretation not correct? There is nothing in the discussion in the above link which would indicate that a double red is an inappropriate use in that situation.

I sometimes am a slow learner

Why are people happy to accept science which makes their life easier while rejecting science that makes their faith or beliefs more difficult?

Old 05-02-2013

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
I thought I read the thread on CF where this is discussed, but not sure if I got a definitive understanding of Rule 27.

Why would it NOT be appropriate for a single handed sailboat to display the double red when the skipper is asleep? The boat is clearly not under command in that situation, or is my interpretation not correct? There is nothing in the discussion in the above link which would indicate that a double red is an inappropriate use in that situation.

I sometimes am a slow learner
"A vessel not under command has usually suffered a disability, which is not easy to predict or classify. An example would be a vessel with a disabled rudder. The navigation light requirement is, therefore, brief and general."

Not undercomand does not mean the captain is asleep, it means he cannot control the boat. There is a clear difference.

My understanding is that there is no correct marking for the simple reason that you are REQUIRED to keep watch. No out from this.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-02-2013

jackdale will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by katsailor View Post
Sorry I guess I'm slow; Rule 45 only defines who may display a blue flashing light. Not what to do when you see one. My experience is to pull over and get ready for license, registration and insurance and practice my dumb look for when he asks me "Do you know why I pulled you over?" But that is usually on the road
If they want you to hove-to (stop) they will hail you.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 05-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqaltair View Post
"A vessel not under command has usually suffered a disability, which is not easy to predict or classify. An example would be a vessel with a disabled rudder. The navigation light requirement is, therefore, brief and general."

Not undercomand does not mean the captain is asleep, it means he cannot control the boat. There is a clear difference.

My understanding is that there is no correct marking for the simple reason that you are REQUIRED to keep watch. No out from this.
Yes - exactly. It is in the definition.

(f) The term "vessel not under command" means a vessel which through some exceptional circumstance is unable to maneuver as required by these Rules and is therefore unable to keep out of the way of another vessel.

The vessel has the disability, not the skipper and the crew. If that were the case there would be a lot of vessels with two red lights or two black balls.

Broken down engine and broken rudder are the classic examples.
Old 05-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeB View Post
Is there a similar provision in Canada to allow boats to anchor without displaying day shapes or anchor lights?
No Canadian mod to this section of the ColRegs.

In fact a unlit sailboat was held at fault after being hit in the dark while on a lake.

Last edited by jackdale; 05-02-2013 at 04:54 PM.
Old 05-02-2013

Some interesting reading here:

Collisions
Old 05-03-2013

billyruffn will become famous soon enough

Ask the "fisherman" to show you his fishing lights (e.g. green over white...etc). If he's not rigged to show fishing lights / day shapes, then he's not a fishing boat.
Old 05-03-2013

dabnis is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyruffn View Post
Ask the "fisherman" to show you his fishing lights (e.g. green over white...etc). If he's not rigged to show fishing lights / day shapes, then he's not a fishing boat.
Well, this has all been interesting reading. With the exception of small sports fishing boats, any boat that looks like a commercial fishing vessel with things like pointy outrigger poles, big net reels,all kinds of lines running all over the place, and possibly needing a paint job, and going slowly in a straight line, is probably "fishing", regardless of what may, or not, be hanging in the rigging.

Back to the original post, the skipper of a commercial charter boat trolling with side planers? out probably thinks everybody should get out of his way because he is more important than just about everybody else, except maybe somebody bigger than him?

I guess one should do the best one can to avoid a collision or putting another vessel up on the rocks.

Paul T
Attached Thumbnails
You are NOT "FISHING"-alpine.jpg  
nolatom likes this.