Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

Like Tree50Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2013

TTC is on a distinguished road
Re: You are NOT "FISHING"

Quote:
Originally Posted by overbored View Post
try an argue that to a Judge. But Judge if I would have turned to miss the sailboat my fishing lines would have gotten tangled.
It's not the judge that would matter.

It's what I'm doing right then and there when your fragile little sailboat is CBDR with my larger and more powerful gas guzzler.

I'll sit there and yell at you (as in the OP's story) and insist I have the "right of way" -- because I read somewhere that boats fishing (as I am) have the right of way. And I don't want to reel my lines in and can't really turn without tangling them.

My point is that the rules aren't that plain or clear to the casual mariner and can and are interpreted however benefits them -- so I fault the rules partly.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-30-2013
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road

Someone needs a reality check.
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt
Old 04-30-2013

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

TTC,

Restricted in ability to maneuver doesn't mean inconvenient to maneuver, it means you can't.

Sailboats can't point above 45. Note the period on the end of that sentence.
Most can't just tack every 20 seconds while a troller plays with a school, or gets a fresh beer. For a lot of boats it's downright dangerous to go from a hard on the wind course to falling off on a beam without seriously adjusting sails (it would blow me right over in a serious wind).

I wish the DNR would actually put clear wording on registration applications that spelled out trolling doesn't count.

Until then I'll just have to tack well and tack early to miss people too stupid to fish at the supermarket.
sailordave and Rhys05 like this.
Old 04-30-2013

sailordave is on a distinguished road

The real problem is ignorance.
I think a lot of powerboaters just have the mindset of shove the throttle forward and go like hell! Not all, but just enough to give a bad impression. Sort of like bad cops; doesn't take but a few knuckleheads.

And not to stereotype boaters, but the reality is *MOST* sailors have a better knowledge of the rules as well as having better seamanship skills.

Personally I don't want to interfere w/ someone else's activity of choice on the water for
the simple reason that I don't always trust them or what they may do. And that depends on context. In a serious race w/ serious racers I KNOW that port tacker is going to either duck me (missing my stern by a foot or two if not inches) or tack or feels he's going to make it and probably will. And I know I can take action if need be. A less serious race I might stretch out the safety zone a bit but I still feel fairly confident everyone knows what the hell they're doing.

OTOH, just out daysailing around Annapolis on a weekend... uh, no, I don't trust that guy that's got poorly trimmed sails in a clunker of a boat and a wake that looks like a snake. I'll tack away from him almost every time regardless of my "rights". Cause it just isn't worth the hassle.
Old 04-30-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesR View Post
TTC,

Restricted in ability to maneuver doesn't mean inconvenient to maneuver, it means you can't.
But what does restricted in manageability mean?
Old 04-30-2013

jackdale will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTC View Post
But what does restricted in manageability mean?
It does not mean anything. The phrase in the rules is "restricted in ability to maneuver."

(g) The term "vessel restricted in her ability to maneuver" means a vessel which from the nature of her work is restricted in her ability to maneuver as required by these Rules and is therefore unable to keep out of the way of another vessel. [The term] "vessels restricted in their ability to maneuver" shall include but not be limited to:

(i) A vessel engaged in laying, servicing, or picking up a navigational mark, submarine cable or pipeline;
(ii) A vessel engaged in dredging, surveying or underwater operations;
(iii) A vessel engaged in replenishment or transferring persons, provisions or cargo while underway;
(iv) A vessel engaged in the launching or recovery of aircraft;
(v) A vessel engaged in mine clearance operations;
(vi) A vessel engaged in a towing operation such as severely restricts the towing vessel and her tow in their ability to deviate from their course.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 04-30-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post

OTOH, just out daysailing around Annapolis on a weekend... uh, no, I don't trust that guy that's got poorly trimmed sails in a clunker of a boat and a wake that looks like a snake. I'll tack away from him almost every time regardless of my "rights". Cause it just isn't worth the hassle.
That is a great application of Rule 2.
nolatom and sailordave like this.
Old 04-30-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTC View Post
It's not the judge that would matter.

It's what I'm doing right then and there when your fragile little sailboat is CBDR with my larger and more powerful gas guzzler.

I'll sit there and yell at you (as in the OP's story) and insist I have the "right of way" -- because I read somewhere that boats fishing (as I am) have the right of way. And I don't want to reel my lines in and can't really turn without tangling them.

My point is that the rules aren't that plain or clear to the casual mariner and can and are interpreted however benefits them -- so I fault the rules partly.
If anyone reads the rules they will know that ROW does not apply to any vessels except those cover under Rule9 (a)(ii).

The rules are very clear. I think that this may illustrate the advantage of taking courses from experienced, knowledgeable instructors who can explain the rules.
Old 04-30-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
It does not mean anything. The phrase in the rules is "restricted in ability to maneuver."
Sorry. There are some bad copies of the COLREGs online (and cited in this thread) that use "manageability" under the definition of vessels engaged in fishing.
Old 04-30-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
If anyone reads the rules they will know that ROW does not apply to any vessels except those cover under Rule9 (a)(ii).

The rules are very clear. I think that this may illustrate the advantage of taking courses from experienced, knowledgeable instructors who can explain the rules.
Hence why the term "right of way" is in quotation marks. These fishermen obviously don't know the rules in these situations. The rules aren't extremely clear.

But sailors are the ones who are faced with having to deal with these guys while under way -- not in courtrooms in front of judges.