Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

Like Tree50Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2013

jackdale will become famous soon enough
Re: You are NOT "FISHING"

Trolling does not involve floats, at least from I have seen.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-30-2013
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
Trolling does not involve floats, at least from I have seen.
Sometimes trollers use them. I think it helps to keep the lines separated.
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt
Old 05-01-2013

Capt Len is on a distinguished road

Trollers used what they call 'scotchmen' ( a bladder on a board)to spread the lines out. Never used them as my experience was on the end of a gillnet. Nowadays the term seems to mean those big round orange things tied to the rail instead of tires..

Last edited by Capt Len; 05-01-2013 at 12:27 AM.
Old 05-01-2013

dabnis is on a distinguished road

All,

Couldn't find a better diagram than this one:

http://www.portofnewport.com/commerc...20trollers.pdf

Floats are generally used for the "light" lines. We used to run ours about 100 feet back. They are used to separate the other lines that are basically under the boat.

Generally, if the outrigger poles are down and the boat is moving slowly they are fishing with gear in the water. However some may only have the stabilizers in the water to quiet the motion down and would probably moving faster than trolling speed, around 2 knots for salmon. Trolling speeds for Albacore can be about 5 to 6 knots with lines straight back near the surface.
Albacore fishing is usually in the fall well off shore.

As mentioned earlier it is basically like having 6 downriggers with 6 lines stacked on each one and separated with the outrigger poles and floats on the back lines.

Salmon

So, the "float" lines, which will have about a 10 lb ball on the bottom will pull back maybe at a 45 degree angle is your primary concern. If you see a troller and he is going slow (trolling), he is likely fishing, best to give him all the room you can.

Paul T
Old 05-01-2013

avenger79 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTC View Post
I've always been told that the local yokel trolling a couple lines from his bass boat or Boston Whaler clearly isn't fishing under the COLREGs.

But reading this, it appears to me that the boat's maneuverability would be restricted due to his lines in the water, so he should be the stand on vessel.
actually it seems as though D would appear to directly address that as in, boat trolling with lines is not considered fishing.
Old 05-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by avenger79 View Post
actually it seems as though D would appear to directly address that as in, boat trolling with lines is not considered fishing.
From what I remember, a long time ago, "fishing" in the regs basicaly meant larger vessels with "gear" in the water, like drag boats (trawlers), long line boats, seiners, trollers and the like, all being used to generate revenue.

I doubt the person in their sports fishing boat with maybe 4 lines out falls into the "fishing" catagory? Jackdale?

Paul T
Old 05-01-2013

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road

Dabnis, thanks for the info. I did not realize that salmon trollers “only” go 2-3 kts. That greatly increases the possibility that I could be over taking them and not the other way around. So, If I can spot gear and they are doing a slow speed, I, as a courteous sailor, will duck them by about fifty yards if I cannot cross ahead. With salmon stocks depleted along the California coast, my chances of encountering a commercial salmon fisherman is pretty slight – somewhere behind the fear of a whale collision. There are a lot of sport fishermen out there (ie. Duxbury reef), but they don’t have any “rights” over me when I’m under sail.

Slow, where do the albacore and tuna fishermen go to fish down in So Cal? I’ll be “cruising” down there next summer and Mexico the following year. And I know that there are large fleets of commercial fishermen all around down there. If their average trolling speeds are around 6 kts, then the chances of me encountering them is much greater. (Last time we sailed to Cabo, at times we were around 100 NM offshore until we got to Cedros Is.)
Old 05-01-2013

Here is a little better diagram of a salmon troller, but does not show the "float" lines run way back:

http://wsg.washington.edu/communicat...trollerslr.pdf

Figure 8-4 shows the floats being deployed. We used to run ours back about 100 feet:

Watercraft of the Inside Passage, a Field Guide - Jim Howard and Tom Jacobson - Google Books

Paul T
Old 05-01-2013
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeB View Post
Dabnis, thanks for the info. I did not realize that salmon trollers “only” go 2-3 kts. That greatly increases the possibility that I could be over taking them and not the other way around. So, If I can spot gear and they are doing a slow speed, I, as a courteous sailor, will duck them by about fifty yards if I cannot cross ahead. ...
I usually give them at least 100 yards. Fifty is probably fine, but better safe than sorry. When I'm sailing and I encounter a troller, I may well have "rights" but I figure that they're working and I'm just playing.
Quote:
Slow, where do the albacore and tuna fishermen go to fish down in So Cal? I’ll be “cruising” down there next summer and Mexico the following year. And I know that there are large fleets of commercial fishermen all around down there. If their average trolling speeds are around 6 kts, then the chances of me encountering them is much greater. (Last time we sailed to Cabo, at times we were around 100 NM offshore until we got to Cedros Is.)
Since they follow the schools around it's hard to say. In general, they tend to stay well off-shore. However, there are times when the commercial fleet is active within just a few miles of the coast. This is true not just for Southern California, but all up and down the West Coast. If you are going to be anywhere near the coast in the summer you're likely to see some commercial boats.
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt
Old 05-01-2013

Quote:
Dabnis, thanks for the info. I did not realize that salmon trollers “only” go 2-3 kts. That greatly increases the possibility that I could be over taking them and not the other way around. So, If I can spot gear and they are doing a slow speed, I, as a courteous sailor, will duck them by about fifty yards if I cannot cross ahead. With salmon stocks depleted along the California coast, my chances of encountering a commercial salmon fisherman is pretty slight – somewhere behind the fear of a whale collision. There are a lot of sport fishermen out there (ie. Duxbury reef), but they don’t have any “rights” over me when I’m under sail.

George,

I have no hands on experience in So Cal waters, only know what I have read about. Albacore are fished all up and down the coast from Mexico into BC, Canada. IIRC, water temp needs to be about 60 degrees & up so, they are generally off shore a ways from about SF and north, although in late August & September they can be as close as 15 to 20 miles. From what I have seen, Albacore trollers have many lines right near the surface, back from 20 to 100 feet. We only fished for Salmon.

As Slow mentioned, all kinds of fisheries in So Cal, some close to shore. Drag boats generally operate off shore a ways, at least in California waters. But like tugs the cables can extend way back and you can't see them. There are also mid depth water drag boats where the cables may be higher in the water.

Paul T

The commercial Salmon season goes from almost nothing to a month or so. It varies a lot from year to year.

Last edited by dabnis; 05-01-2013 at 02:29 PM.