Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2013

Dog Ship is on a distinguished road
Re: Man over board

I have a handheld too but it doesn't warm up the ocean very good.
No slobbering on the charts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-13-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

We practice this every year.

We do the life sling maneuver with a fender.

We have also practiced pulling someone out of the water. We anchor to go swimming in the northern Chessie and take turns with the sling.

For us using the boom as a fulcrum with the line over it and a ST winch on the opposite side seems to work the best in calm seas.

If its a bit choppy the spinnaker halyard is another option.

Its nice to know should we ever encounter this we have practiced so it wont be a first time trial.

Of course the best is prevention of not going overboard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 05-13-2013

paul323 is on a distinguished road

First rule is stay on board - MOB is not as easy as it looks, and requires a well-practiced helmsman.

Lifesling works best, but you need to know how to set it up. We set it up to the main halyard; I always worry about setting up to the boom, as I am not sure if the topping lift can be trusted in this situation.

Also note that there are two lifesling tackle options, 3:1 and 5:1. The 3:1 relies on a winch - it is what I have, and works very well for lighter weight/weaker rescuers.

There are other options. On many boats the swim ladder is not an option - mine is tough enough in calm conditions, but in a new Catalina with a swim platform, that can work. We also tried running a docking line from a cleat to a winch, the person stands on it while they are winched up; that works, but the person in the water needs to be very alert.

Given your concerns - and likely your wife's - the best thing to do is to practice. Try a few things out; if both you and she are comfortable with a technique, it will give you both peace of mind.

And don't fall off the boat!
Old 05-13-2013

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregrosine View Post
If I fall overboard it will be hard for my wife to bring me aboard by herself.
Sorry to be honest, but chances are you would be dead.

So its very important to be thinking about this now. Part of your considerations should be acknowledging you would be injured in falling overboard.

Either work out how not to fall over, or, get a good halyard, winch and ladder set up. Mind you, a sky rocket up the bum may be more effective.

All the best,

Mark
boatman61 likes this.

Old 05-13-2013
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road

Start by making as sure as you can that you do not go over. but, if it happens, have a scheme and practice it on a nice day at anchor. We have a Lifesling and block and tackle setup to the boom that leads to a snatch block and a sheet winch. We are lucky to have big winches (Lewmar 65) and it is very easy to pull up a lot of weight. You have to see what works on your boat. BTW if the person in the water can't help you are screwed if there are only two onboard (counting the one in the water).
Old 05-14-2013

Runshari is on a distinguished road

I'm the wife and am finding this discussion a little unsettling (as you can well imagine), but also very informative. We plan to spend a lot of time this summer practicing our skills, especially with regard to MOB drills. My question is what type of PFD's do all of you experienced sailors recommend and prefer? There seems to be mixed feelings in the research about what is the safest and most effective type....(and also one that is comfortable to wear).
Old 05-14-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

I'm a fan of the Spinlock deckvest, which has a integrated tether harness, leg straps, spray hood, whistle, strobe, maybe more I'm not thinking of. If you got a halyard on the harness loop, im sure you could hoist someone out of the water. Getting it on is another trick, if the victim is unresponsive. They never got their USCG cert in the US, but are common in Europe (where rules are often more stringent). No self inflating PDF legally counts as available device unless worn.

The more important issue is what is comfortable enough to the individual that they will actually wear it.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 05-14-2013

Minnesail is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
The more important issue is what is comfortable enough to the individual that they will actually wear it.
Exactly! The Spinlock looks really nice. I just got a Mustang MD3184. I think auto-inflatables are the way to go, otherwise you just won't wear it.
Old 05-14-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I'm a fan of the Spinlock deckvest, which has a integrated tether harness, leg straps, spray hood, whistle, strobe, maybe more I'm not thinking of....

If it doesn't also serve up a nice martini while I'm waiting for my crew to pick me up, I ain't wearin' it.
Minnewaska likes this.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 05-14-2013

Capt Len is on a distinguished road

I have a locker full of Mustang self inflating jackets with D rings for hook up to life line. halyard or helicopter retrieval .Never used one for the purpose intended but wear one all the time and very comfortable.
Minnesail likes this.