Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Man over board

Just a note. If the victim isn't wear leg/crotch straps, trying to hoist them by the D ring on a PDF is potentially futile, unless they can assist and hold on.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-14-2013

MarkSF is on a distinguished road

I have a Lifesling but also a dedicated vang assembly, from Garhauer (only cost about $100). It's in a box, labelled "man overboard tackle", with the rest of the emergency equipment. You attach it to the boom or to a halyard, run the sheet to a winch, bob's your uncle.

Yes I have the Mustang jackets with D rings too.
Old 05-14-2013

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough

I have had only one event and that was to circle back with the life sling extended on a long line to pick up my 16 year old son who was concious, alert, and strong. After taking the line and waiting for the sling to arrive at his position, he was able to place the sling under his arms while we headed up into irons. I was prepared to raise him with the mizzen halyard, but he was able to grab the rail and hoist himself on board before I could rig the halyard to lift him. Adrenaline seems to be a factor for a young man's ability or maybe for all of us to a point. I still hope that my plans would have been suitable for my own retrieval or others that might be impaired by injury or age. There's no elimination of risk, but, I agree, - stay on the boat! I would add another point for the helmsman at the moment that one of the crew is seen going overboard. The best response in a hard turn of the wheel to the side of the fall. It's far better to turn initially so that the stern is moved away from the person at risk. Turn to the falling crew member and save him from the rudder and prop.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Take Care and Joy, Aythya Crew
Old 07-13-2013

flandria is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to flandria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregrosine View Post
I weigh 250 pounds. My wife is half that. If I fall overboard it will be hard for my wife to bring me aboard by herself. I am assuming she can run a line through a block (I don't know from where) and she could take some of the load on a winch.
This thread has been a good discussion... so, let's now be a little lighthearted. As John Pinette might say, if you lose 50 lbs, and your wife gains 50 lbs, would that solve your problem?
Runshari likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to flandria For This Useful Post:
Runshari (07-18-2013)
Old 07-13-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by flandria View Post
This thread has been a good discussion... so, let's now be a little lighthearted. As John Pinette might say, if you lose 50 lbs, and your wife gains 50 lbs, would that solve your problem?
Or you could just marry one of these:

Ech. I just threw up in my mouth a little.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 07-18-2013

watsongs is on a distinguished road

I've used (with a simulated 'COB') a sling by detaching the jib from the headstay, keeping the tack attached, sheeting in tight, and hitching the head to the spinnaker halyard (because of its ability to pull from the side). Toss the rest of the jib (or genoa) in the water, and have the COB swim into it, then hoist. They roll a bit, but it's against a smooth surface. We were able to guide an 'unconscious' victim into the sling with a boat hook. Not ideal for possible spinal injury, as in knocked overboard by a boom to the head, but if nothing else is possible, it beats drowning (inviting arguments, I know).

As many have said, stay on board in the first place. Remember, most bodies found floating are guys with their zippers down...