SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Seamanship & Navigation (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/seamanship-navigation/)
-   -   Man over board (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/seamanship-navigation/99429-man-over-board.html)

Gregrosine 05-12-2013 08:07 PM

Man over board

I weigh 250 pounds. My wife is half that. If I fall overboard it will be hard for my wife to bring me aboard by herself. I am assuming she can run a line through a block (I don't know from where) and she could take some of the load on a winch.

Minnewaska 05-12-2013 08:20 PM

Re: Man over board

She would probably suffocate you or break something dragging you over the gunnel toward a deck winch. A halyard would be a better bet or something fashioned over the boom, swung out over the water.

Your number one priority should be not to ever be able to fall overboard. The odds that she gets back to you and gets you aboard are very slim, even if she's a pro. Tether in.

benesailor 05-12-2013 08:26 PM

The odds of you ever falling overboard are pretty slim. Tether in and you'll be ok.

Silvio 05-12-2013 09:18 PM

Rule #1; stay on the boat.
I'm much larger than my Mrs as well and figure if I can't climb the swim ladder I'm probably done for.

outbound 05-12-2013 10:40 PM

?what are you on for a boat? If it has a sugar scoop/open transome design she can throw you a life sling and direct you there to do an assisted self recue.

Capt Len 05-12-2013 11:14 PM

If she can lash you to the quarter and make it back to a marina she can recover the body. This is important for insurance purposes, There may be better techniques ,,Planing and practice would help..

smackdaddy 05-12-2013 11:42 PM

Watch this:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/VnhjOhWD4j0?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

JohnR is THE MAN!

paulk 05-12-2013 11:50 PM

Bringing MOB victims in over the stern - with or without a ladder - can be very dangerous if there's any wave motion. The ladder or transom whacks the person in the water on it's way down, and bones - things like arms, legs, and necks - can get broken. We have a LifeSling, but victims aren't always conscious and able to put it on, or able to keep it on when getting hoisted. A more definite way to get someone back aboard is to have a triangular tarp with eyes in the corners that you can attach to your toerail or outer side of two stanchion bases, midships, where there's less up and down motion of the boat. You throw the third corner into the water, and bring it up around the outside of the victim, so he's essentially wrapped in it and can't get away. A large blanket could also be jury-rigged the same way in a pinch. Attach a tackle or halyard to the third corner (we use our running backstay), and you will lift the victim up and deposit him on deck. The size of the tarp will vary according to the attachment points and your freeboard, but it's a simple and effective piece of equipment that could also serve to cover a stove-in plank or hole from a collision. This "parbuckle" approach roughly halves the effort required to lift objects, so a 3:1 tackle attached to a parbuckle would provide about 6:1 total lift. A crew putting 50 pounds of effort with this setup would be able to lift about a 300 pound load.

Dog Ship 05-13-2013 09:10 AM

We ware are life jackets all the time and we have a lifesling too. We have many times gone over what needs to be done in the event that I fall overboard.
The end result of each discussion is that I simply cannot fall overboard.
If we are out sailing in say January and I fall overboard, I'm dead.
My wife of 115 pounds doesn't stand a chance. By the time she finishes panicing, getting the boat under control, turning it around, finding me, deploying the lifesling with the hope that I am still strong enough to put it on.
I'm still a long way from being out of the water and my wife would at this point be in hysterics.
The lifesling great idea but we concider it a last resort.

Minnewaska 05-13-2013 09:20 AM

If the water isn't cold enough to kill you, wearing an inflatable pfd with a gps enabled vhf radio clipped to it may save your life, if you go over. You can call for help yourself and identify your position. These radios are available for a couple hundred bucks.

However, staying on the boat should be priority #1.