Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2013

L124C is on a distinguished road
Re: VHF Protocol

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchee View Post
I've seen people stammer and sweat trying to use a particular format, when they could just use plain English to pass the necessary information.
Ain't it the truth! I've heard some really funny examples of this. Then there are the people who simply give too much information. There is a Vessel Assist skipper in my area who really needs to cut back on the Red Bull! The CG thanked him for coming to the aid of a kayaker the other day on 16 and he went off on a diatribe. I could just imagine the CG looking at each other, thinking "Why did we say anything?". He obviously spends a lot of time by himself on the boat and likes to talk!

Last edited by L124C; 06-02-2013 at 03:26 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-03-2013

doogymon is on a distinguished road

This thread is part of the reason why the Canucks require a certification before a pleasure boater keys up that microphone.
Old 06-10-2013
Raised by Wolves in NJ

Zeke is on a distinguished road

I sail the 100+ mile long Lake Champlain. Other than the state registration bow #, 50% of the boats I see have no vessel name affixed and of those 50%, the font is so stylized, even at 50 yards - it's still unintelligible.

Of those that can be seen/read, many cannot be spoken, e.g. "Faux de casa," "Reconistration," "Sphinxster."

With binocs, bow numbers are never styled, always in the same place and visible equally from both sides.

My 2-cents
Old 06-10-2013

jsaronson is on a distinguished road

When I've heard a distress call to Baltimore the first question from the CG is "is everyone wearing a PFD?" Never heard a request for call sign or registration number. Proper protocol on VHF is honored mostly in the breach.
Old 06-10-2013

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

I think you're confusing apples an oranges, Zeek.

Bow numbers are usually required by state registration laws and specificed as arabic numberals of a certain height and type that people buy "off the shelf" which also means a limited font selection.

Transom art, including names, is entirely optional and extra for those folks, much like your choice of socks. Argyle, tube, whatever, that's unregulated.

Except for the folks who have documented vessels, and there's a limited use to that for folks who will mainly keep and sail a boat in one lake. Folks with documented vessels have different and fairly simple requirements as to the legibility of transom names, and "illegible" is flat out illegal for documented vessels. Not that I'd expect the USCG to care much in a lake, even in a big lake. Their priority will be BWI and potty checks.

But one is apples the other oranges, two different sets of rules apply.
Old 06-10-2013
Raised by Wolves in NJ

No apples and oranges here. Just stating known observations.

Been sailing for 50 years and can count the number of vessels with no state required bow alpha-numerics - on one hand.

True, I've only sailed the Atlantic from the Chesapeake to Block Island via Pt. Pleasant, NJ and a few large NY/NJ/PA/VT lakes, not counting a two-day-sail in the FL keys, but I can only tell you what my experience has been - and a rational argument as to why boat names are inconsistently a bad ID choice (at best) - while State mandated bow alpa-numerics are overwhelmingly superior forms of ID.

In that rare instance where the boat is in fact "named" - and that name is legible, easy to enunciate, spell and on all three sides of the hull, always use the boat name for ID.

My experience suggests, that is rarely the case.

Lest we forget, a Winesap and Mac are both apples
Old 06-10-2013
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
No apples and oranges here. Just stating known observations.

Been sailing for 50 years and can count the number of vessels with no state required bow alpha-numerics - on one hand....

Lest we forget, a Winesap and Mac are both apples
But your last post was talking about sailing on a lake and I believe that's what hellosailor responded to. If you're introducing your experience offshore, then yes, there are a mix of both.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 06-10-2013
Raised by Wolves in NJ

I was speaking of my experience and observations, using Lake Champlain, as just one illustration, to make my point.. BTW, Lake Champlain is international water.

Part of the lake is in Canada and one can (and many do) sail from NYC Harbor to the Atlantic - via the St. Lawrence Seaway, a canal system, and traverse Lake Champlain, all 100+ miles of it, to get there.

Offshore, onshore, lakes or in your garage; boat names vs. state registration bow alpha-numerics are the topic - not what waters they're found in - or why.

Last edited by Zeke; 06-10-2013 at 01:55 PM. Reason: typo
Old 06-10-2013

johnnyquest37 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
Been sailing for 50 years and can count the number of vessels with no state required bow alpha-numerics - on one hand.
Documented vessels may not display state registration numbers:

"Vessels may ONLY be identified as either a State Registered Vessel or a Federally Documented Vessel - BUT NOT BOTH. When a vessel becomes Federally Documented, the State Registration Numbers and Letters must be removed. However the State Validation Sticker showing proof of paying sales tax may still be displayed on the vessel in accordance with the individual stateís regulations."

http://www.usps.org/national/vsc/pol.../vesselreg.pdf
chef2sail likes this.

LET'S GET SERIOUS ABOUT REMOVING POLITCAL TAG LINES -- NOW!
Old 06-10-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

I don't now what Vermonts rules are with respect to naming a State registered boat, but with clear block registration numbers, one would think the naming convention is less precise.

USCG documented vessels must carry a name not more than 33 characters long, at least 4" tall and it must be legible. I dare say that most boats in my marina are documented and, therefore, have no state registration numbers. None are illegible that I've noticed.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.