Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2013

El Rubio is on a distinguished road
Re: VHF Protocol

I'm an amateur radio operator and we use phonetics and callsigns without issue for the most part. I'm not certain what my registration numbers are, but if required, I would certainly memorize them. I know some people first, by their callsigns instead of names. The importance of phonetics, and it really doesn't matter much if you don't know the "official" phonetics, is clarity of the message. We train for and pass important emergency traffic. Sometimes that traffic is passed three or four times before it gets where it needs to go. Specific formats for messages are important to retain the original intent. I have called nets where people use goofy phonetics for their callsigns, but never does it interfere with the communication. Practice is what makes good radio operators.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-10-2013
Raised by Wolves in NJ

Zeke is on a distinguished road

Again, how many people here, have boats that do not have state assigned numbers?

Then too, the shear numbers of boats, by size, would likely result in there being a thousand boats under 30-feet for every ten that are over.

The hair involved in the documented boat registrations are legendary. Sales and or excise tax when selling, being the principal nightmare.

But it is still done, but almost always on ocean going vessels
Old 06-11-2013

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
Again, how many people here, have boats that do not have state assigned numbers?

Then too, the shear numbers of boats, by size, would likely result in there being a thousand boats under 30-feet for every ten that are over.

The hair involved in the documented boat registrations are legendary. Sales and or excise tax when selling, being the principal nightmare.

But it is still done, but almost always on ocean going vessels

I would say the majority of vessels along the Maine coast are documented and not displaying state numbers...

I have many hundreds of pics of boats in Maine with no bow numbers....
joebeach and 34crealock like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 06-11-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Zeke, from your original message it was totally unclear what you were talking about, in terms of names/vs/numbers or both on boats.

I don't think I know anyone who has ever known the "numbers" of the boat they were on, but I sure know the name of every boat I've been sailing on. And it is the names that go in my log--not the numbers.

Numbers? The human mind typically holds a max of four of those, even if we sometimes do better with phone numbers. Names? Way more likely to come to mind. If I have to grab a mic and call a Mayday, the last thing I will do is rummage around to find out the registration numbers of a boat, and then spend extra time citing a long string of them versus two or three syllables in a name.

Now, as to clueless rubes using names that don't work well over the radio...So what? Crabs gotta eat too. Drownings improve the species. Both human and crab.
Old 06-11-2013
Raised by Wolves in NJ

Of note, all the boats pictured are over 30+ feet.

Also of note, not one of them has ANY name on the hull.

This means they represent less than 6% all boats on the water.

Maine crabs are the best. Sailor meat does indeed improve flavor!

And hellosailor, you made the incorrect assumption, where none was called for.

Last edited by Zeke; 06-11-2013 at 08:40 AM.
Old 06-11-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Names are supposed to be placed on the transom.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 06-11-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Subconsciously, I bet most coastal sailors have the thought that they could sail off to another country at any time. USCG documentation is all but required to do so. While Lake Champlain includes Canadian waters, I suspect that is handled uniquely from an open water arrival.

Block registration numbers also make the lines of boat look pretty bad, IMO.
Zeke likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 06-11-2013
Raised by Wolves in NJ

If I'm keying up on 16, it's for one helluva good reason. I need the CG to get to me ASAP. The easier I make their job to find me, the better the rescue will go.

Unless your hull is chartreuse with optic maroon polka dots, the name alone distinguishes it from all others. If the name is a plane font, or the state registration alpha-numerics are on both sides of the bow, you can be positively identified.

If however you're the only vessel within ten square miles, the name/registration # becomes less significant - the fact that you can transmit a signal, the better locator.

Assuming you still have battery power to transmit anything...
Old 06-11-2013

johnnyquest37 is on a distinguished road

Most of the time, it is not the Coast Guard that renders assistance, but some other mariner. Unless you need a helicopter hoist, a MAYDAY is not specifically a call to the authorities, but a general call to all stations. Almost every weekend, I hear a MAYDAY of one sort or another. Seems like while the USCG is asking over and over if everyone has lifejackets, the GPS location, the cell phone number, etc., etc., some nearby boater has already rendered assistance. Not knocking the Coast Guard, just pointing out that a MAYDAY needs to inform everyone of the required info so anyone in a position to assist is able to.

We keep a formated MAYDAY call "cheat sheet" handy for those unfamilar with the VHF and for helping out those who are familiar in the stress of a MAYDAY situation. Key things to transmit are who you are (boat name), where you are (GPS is fine, but other boats will want to know where your are with respect to local landmarks), and what your problem is.
L124C likes this.

LET'S GET SERIOUS ABOUT REMOVING POLITCAL TAG LINES -- NOW!
Old 06-11-2013

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice

Quote:
Of note, all the boats pictured are over 30+ feet.
The red one is 27 feet the blue one 24 feet..

Quote:
Also of note, not one of them has ANY name on the hull.
100% of them have the required USCG documentation name and hailing port on the hull.

Quote:
This means they represent less than 6% all boats on the water.
Huh?

Quote:

Been sailing for 50 years and can count the number of vessels with no state required bow alpha-numerics - on one hand.

I gave you more than one hands full and can provide hundreds more...
chef2sail likes this.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.