Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2013

mbetter is on a distinguished road
Re: Flaking the Main Sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex W View Post
One trick for releasing the halyard slowly when the clutch is at the cockpit and you are at the mast is to stand on the exposed halyard routed on the cabin deck.
I sometimes do this thing where I open the clutch, put half of a wrap on the winch to turn the line and take it with me to the mast. The winch gives me enough friction on the line that I can pay it out at my leisure when gradually lowering the main.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-21-2013

Sailormon6 will become famous soon enough

First, I hang all the sail ties around my neck. I ease the topping lift, to lower the boom enough so that I can reach it comfortably from the cockpit. Then I tighten the mainsheet, to limit the boom's ability to swing. Then I release the main halyard and let the sail drop to the deck. Then I stand on the cockpit seat at the aft end of the boom and pull the leech of the sail aft, and lay down a flake across the boom. It doesn't matter which side is flaked first. Then I pull the leech of the sail aft and lay down a flake on the other side of the boom. I lay flakes on alternating sides of the boom until about mid-boom, when I tie a sail tie, to hold it in place while I flake the rest of the sail. Occasionally, on a big boat, it is difficult for me to lay flakes on alternating sides by myself, because of the weight of the sail. In that case, I might lay 2-3 consecutive flakes on the same side. Alternating them isn't really that important, if the result is a neat, smooth sail.

I usually am singlehanded, and it only takes a couple minutes. I prefer to flake the sail before entering the marina, because it is usually cooler out on the water than in the marina. Also, if the sail is flaked neatly, it is much easier to move about the decks without trip hazards, when entering my slip. I have ez jacks, but usually don't use them, unless conditions are especially choppy. My boat is 35' masthead-rigged, and I have no difficulty doing the same on 40 footers.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sailormon6 For This Useful Post:
bristol299bob (05-21-2013)
Old 05-21-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

We use lazy jacks, but they are stowed off the mast and boom until the sail is to be dropped. Interference with hoisting is minimized this way. It is an 'extra' chore prior to dousing but not onerous.

We do as sailormon, with someone at the mast alternate the folds between slugs, then tug aft on the leech starting from aft on the boom.. the sail generally falls nicely into the jacks that way prior to applying sail ties. We also pull the reefing clew lines through to the gooseneck and store each coiled seperately in a fold in the main at the mast. This helps to 'stretch out' the main on the boom and almost 'auto flakes' the bottom section. It avoids coils of reefing line falling all over the cockpit during the hoist, but you do need to be careful that the reeflines can feed out cleanly during the hoist.

We also find that the sail 'self flakes' much better if there's reasonable apparent wind while dousing, so if there's room we'll motor at a fair speed upwind to drop the main.

Once tied down we re-stow the jacks. They do not spend enough time on the boom to worry about wear and chafe, and we are able to use a standard simple sail cover.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 05-21-2013
no longer reading SailNet

Alex W is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbetter View Post
I sometimes do this thing where I open the clutch, put half of a wrap on the winch to turn the line and take it with me to the mast. The winch gives me enough friction on the line that I can pay it out at my leisure when gradually lowering the main.
I used to do that on my old boat, but it doesn't work so well with the dodger on the new boat.

I found the stepping on the line trick by accident (literally "why can't we drop the main...oops, I'm stepping on the halyard"), but now use it intentionally.

My only experiences with lazy jacks have made me happy that I don't have them.
Old 05-21-2013

T37Chef will become famous soon enough

Theres the traditional Lazy Jacks and theres EZ Jax and others similar to EZ Jax that are retractable. When raising the main sail they are stored along the mast and boom and don't interfere with the sail.

That said, I have raised the Main numerous times with the EZ Jax deployed with no issues, as long as your dead into the wind. Maybe its because I don't have a full battened sail? I don't get all the issues folks mention regarding their concerns with Lazy/EZ Jax

Dutchman system is also a notable mainsail handling system but I don't much care for them. Add to that, changing out those monofilment lines every few years is no fun, its also pricey for what you get IMO. A Bristol 35.5 I used to sail on had them.

1982 Tartan 37 CB - Hull #358

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-21-2013

HeartsContent is on a distinguished road

For a singlehander, wouldn't the Dutchman system be about the simplest solution?
Old 05-21-2013

T37Chef will become famous soon enough

probably, so would a furling mast or boom then again what i it gets jammed? UM

1982 Tartan 37 CB - Hull #358

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-21-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
get a dutchman- then don't worry - be happy
Why put any extra holes in your sails.

We have the same setup with EZ Jacks as T37 does. Advantages of EZ jacks is that they retract to the mast vs. lazy jacks.

Two years ago we had similar difficulty with our NEW Quantum main with full battens. It took 11/2 years before their were fold memories in the sail. You couldn't just drop the sail into the jacks like Chuck said because it was so stiff it would stand upright.

It is a two person job for a while with lowering the halyard in increments and putting the fold in the sail as it comes down. Shawn's method works to a T.

Now 2 years later I can just drop it into EZ Jacks in one drop and it flakes really well. I singlehanded a lot so this makes it easy As was said the trick is to get the jacks tight.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 05-21-2013
no longer reading SailNet

Alex W is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
Theres the traditional Lazy Jacks and theres EZ Jax and others similar to EZ Jax that are retractable. When raising the main sail they are stored along the mast and boom and don't interfere with the sail.
I've used both and didn't like either of them.

They don't flake the sail, they just drop it in a controlled pile. They make the sail bag a lot more annoying to deal with. If you can't retract them then battens sometimes catch on the jacks.

I understand the concept and thought they were cool when I first read about them, but they aren't for me.
Old 05-21-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road

before deciding on the dutchman spoke to multiple sail lofts. consensus was there is more wear on the sail from a lazyjack system then the dutchman unless you are diligent about bringing everything forward on the jacks whenever the sail is up.then they slap on the mast. also the jacks actually add more windage and complexity. have a mainyard,topping lift and the dutchman. have the top end of the dutch set up with a line that can serve as a third halyard. Also with main down can bring all the monfilament forward so it doesn't interfere with putting the trysail up. we are a couple so sailing is always taking turns single handling. like not having the main flopping around when it's raised,reefed or struck. Can replace mono yourself.just fishing line. for me it means I can drop the main for a canal,lock or other situation where it needs to be down briefly without it being a big deal. also can set up the boat before going out and then do everything myself without getting stressed. did not want to go with in boom or in mast for multiple reasons and from past experience. guess we all develop biases from past experiences

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.