Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2013

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Re: Flaking the Main Sail

The OP does not say whether his mainsail has slugs or not. If it does have slugs, it should be pretty easy to flake single-hand as long as you don't have lazy jacks. What I do, is what several others have mentioned. When I lower my mainsail I am careful to be at the mast and pull the luff down so that the folds between the slugs alternate sides. Once the sail is fully dropped, I flake it working up the leech from the clew folding the sail into flakes that coordinate with the folds at the mast. I can whip through that in a couple minutes: all flaked and tied on the boom.

I typically will pull the traveller up against the stops to one side, so I can tightrope up my coamings and onto the cabin top as I flake the sail. Its way easier than it sounds.

If you don't have slugs then you need a Halpern Mk II Single-Handed Mainsail Roller.

What's that you say? Its a piece of 1 1/2" dia. pvc tubing that is longer than the foot of the sail. It has two loops of shock chord that are thread through holes and wrapped around the tube and tied. The holes are at roughly 16" from one end and the other at 2' or so from that same end. The Mk II version also requires a 3' long- 1/2" dia. dowel or piece of pvc tubing....

That's it.

The way you use the Halpern Mk II Single-Handed Mainsail Roller is that you have a loop of line or a sail tie at the tack and another loop of line or sail tie at the clew. You throw the mainsail onto one side of the boat and you hang the Halpern Mk II Single-Handed Mainsail Roller below the boom from these loops on the other side of the boat. You have a small loop of light line on the headboard of the sail and you pass the dowel through the first loop of shock shockcord, then through the small loop of line on the headbpard and then through the second loop of shockcord, leaving the end of the dowel hanging out past the end of the pvc tube.

Now you start rolling the sail onto the tube, reasonably tightly working from the leech of the sail so you can pull it out straight. When the sail is all rolled up, you simply remove the dowel out the end of the rolled up sail releasing the headboard, and hang the sail from the sail tie looped around the boom. Then hang the aft end of the sail on the boom and extract the pvc tube from inside the sail and finish tying the sail onto the boom. Stow the Halpern Mk II Single-Handed Mainsail Roller down below and WooooHooo! You are done.....

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies

Last edited by Jeff_H; 05-21-2013 at 05:25 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-21-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Halpern Mk II Single-Handed Mainsail Roller available now at your Sailnet Store.. in fact, if you call in the next 20 minutes you'll get not one, not two, but three Halpern Mk II Single-Handed Mainsail Rollers for the price of 4! Hurry - don't miss this once in a lifetime opportunity!!

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 05-21-2013

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
Halpern Mk II Single-Handed Mainsail Roller available now at your Sailnet Store.. in fact, if you call in the next 20 minutes you'll get not one, not two, but three Halpern Mk II Single-Handed Mainsail Rollers for the price of 4! Hurry - don't miss this once in a lifetime opportunity!!

That is funny....I'm glad you liked that!

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies
Old 05-21-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post

Jeff
Actually I couldn't "like" it.... but I guess I could've thanked you!

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 05-22-2013

andrewoliv is on a distinguished road

I have Lazy Jacks installed and that made flaking easier. The more you flake a new sail the easier it gets. Although you should be careful not to always flake in the same place as creases may form on the main and accelerate the wear on those areas.
Old 05-22-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Funny, The UK and Quantum lofts here in Annapolis say the opposite. They have seen more issues with sails regarding Dutchman systems vs lazy jacks and ez jacks ten fold

I don't know a lot of people sailing with their lazy jacks or e z jacks deployed so sail wear is a non issue in my opinion. It would seem to me that no lines contacting the sails, such as our EZ jacks would be better for the sails then fishing line running through the sails at grommet points constantly.
No chafé vs chafe.

As far as them banging on the mast also not true, Like any other line if its properly stowed their is no issue.

We have the ez jack feature which allows them to be deployed from the cockpit so also no sweat.

We have had all three ( Dutchman, lazy, and EZ jacks) at different times and I have found that the e z jacks are the least "problem" for our boat.

Lazy jacks/ EZ jacks are a inexpensive simple main sail handling system for sailor's who have boats in the 25-43 foots range which encompasses the majority of us. Their cost is less than $250 and can even be self made.

How much would it cost to have your sail "retrofitted" for the Dutchman system even if you disregarded the chafe issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
before deciding on the dutchman spoke to multiple sail lofts. consensus was there is more wear on the sail from a lazyjack system then the dutchman unless you are diligent about bringing everything forward on the jacks whenever the sail is up.then they slap on the mast. also the jacks actually add more windage and complexity. have a mainyard,topping lift and the dutchman. have the top end of the dutch set up with a line that can serve as a third halyard. Also with main down can bring all the monfilament forward so it doesn't interfere with putting the trysail up. we are a couple so sailing is always taking turns single handling. like not having the main flopping around when it's raised,reefed or struck. Can replace mono yourself.just fishing line. for me it means I can drop the main for a canal,lock or other situation where it needs to be down briefly without it being a big deal. also can set up the boat before going out and then do everything myself without getting stressed. did not want to go with in boom or in mast for multiple reasons and from past experience. guess we all develop biases from past experiences

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 05-22-2013

MarkSF is on a distinguished road

Flaking the sail used to be a struggle and I figured out it was because the sail cover was a tight fit, necessitating folding the sail in too-small folds.

Now I have a new looser sail cover, I can flake the sail as it almost wants to go on it's own.
Old 05-22-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road

Chef got to accept your experience with your boat(s). Never had e-z jacks but have had several boats with lazy jacks and tried 3 and 4 leg systems on one as it gave me trouble. Current boat has mast pulpits so I guess I can bring jacks out there if necessary.Got to admit sometimes lazy and haven't brought them forward when just day sailing. Guess it one of those things if you ask three people you get four opinions. Picking up the boat this sunday so will not be dependent on other folks opinion in a few weeks about ease of use. Will take a few years before having an opinion about wear. Still as line goes through grommets and lies softly on sail not too worried. More concerned the sail will likely fold in just about the same place every time and that maybe hard on the fibers/coatings. spoke with lofts in MA and Cali about dutchman. Said harder to set up right and needs to be set up right to function correctly. if not done correctly it's a headache.
The Following User Says Thank You to outbound For This Useful Post:
chef2sail (05-23-2013)
Old 05-22-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road

forgot to mention why we looked at dutchman at all. actually it wasn't dropping the main rather it was to decrease the hassles when reefing.
Old 05-23-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post

Jeff
Hey I want want of the Halpern Rollers....Does it eat or drink much? Wear out?

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner