Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Flaking the Main Sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
Chef got to accept your experience with your boat(s). Never had e-z jacks but have had several boats with lazy jacks and tried 3 and 4 leg systems on one as it gave me trouble. Current boat has mast pulpits so I guess I can bring jacks out there if necessary.Got to admit sometimes lazy and haven't brought them forward when just day sailing. Guess it one of those things if you ask three people you get four opinions. Picking up the boat this sunday so will not be dependent on other folks opinion in a few weeks about ease of use. Will take a few years before having an opinion about wear. Still as line goes through grommets and lies softly on sail not too worried. More concerned the sail will likely fold in just about the same place every time and that maybe hard on the fibers/coatings. spoke with lofts in MA and Cali about dutchman. Said harder to set up right and needs to be set up right to function correctly. if not done correctly it's a headache.
So true about the multiple suggestions of things which work when rigged properly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-23-2013
SV Skalliwag #141

brokesailor is on a distinguished road

Thanks everyone for all the input. I will try the flaking of the luff as you slowly lower the sail and see how that works.
Old 05-23-2013
s/v Ilya

arknoah is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
If there's a good bit of wind I just lower it fast and cover it before I get back to the slip so no one can see how bad a flake job I did LOL

Yeah. I single hand almost all of the time, and I can't say that the way I flake the main would make any purist very happy. I do try to fix it up once I'm back in the slip, but when I'm just motoring in after a nice sail, it's not pretty!

Old 05-26-2013
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex W View Post
One trick for releasing the halyard slowly when the clutch is at the cockpit and you are at the mast is to stand on the exposed halyard routed on the cabin deck. You could even install a cam cleat on the mast which holds the halyard there to make this easier. Harken has that recommendation here for the spinnaker halyard, but it would also work for the main:

This is exactly what I do. Foot and all.
Harken

The other is to flake it well at the mast (making sure to get the alternating flakes there), then fix it up at the far end of the boom from the cockpit. When I'm singlehanding it is hard to flake it properly at both ends by myself, but if I do the mast side first then it goes easily.

I start at the ban and pull taught each flake and the mast part seems to take csre of itself.

If you find it hard locating the right flake points at the far end then you could get them right once and mark them to make it easier to find them the next time.
I love my lazy jacks. I think if you are careful and flake the sail in the same place everytime it will remember that. Mine with jack pretty much flakes itself. Even in wind. I just tidy up a but and put the sail ties on.

Last edited by northoceanbeach; 05-28-2013 at 08:39 PM.
Old 05-26-2013
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

I have retractable lazy jacks and a Selden track system on the mast. All controls are at the mast. Luff is about 55 feet.

I drop 10 or 15 feet of the main, stop the clutch, go back to flake the bottom of the sail and put a tie or two in, look around, adjust the auto-pilot, and head back forward.

Lather, rinse, repeat. I drop the main in three sections - 10-15 feet, 15-20 feet, and the rest.

Singlehanded it takes about four minutes; two-up it is less than three. I pull the jacks forward and put on the sail cover at the dock or at anchor.

I tried dropping it all and sorting it out but the weight of all that fabric was too much work for a lazy guy like me.
brokesailor likes this.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

Old 05-26-2013

sailordave is on a distinguished road

I do it pretty much as described by multiple folks. Namely, I put one wrap on the winch and take the halyard fwd w/ me. Lower the sail flaking side to side. Go back in the cockpit, pull the boom down tight and to the side and flake the leech. I have SHARPIE marks on the leech showing where to put the sail. Tie it off and VOILA!
I am in the process of making my own lazy jacks out of Amsteel. They will be retractable and spliced to themselves so there will be no hardware. No chaff on the sails and I can pull them fwd to keep them out of the way. 1/8" is a little harder to splice but inexpensive, light and less obtrusive.
Dutchmen systems IMHO suck. More holes in the sail. The sail always folds the same way and they're pricey. (I alternate how I flake the sail) Maybe for casual cruiser types they're okay, but I hated it when I sailed a boat w/ a Dutchmen.

(and not the guys from Holland!)
Old 05-26-2013

TejasSailer is on a distinguished road

We have ez-jacks and to mitigate the problem of battens catching on the ez-jacks lines, I attach long bungees from the top most rings to the shrouds which holds the ez-jacks lines further away from the sail.
Old 05-26-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by TejasSailer View Post
We have ez-jacks and to mitigate the problem of battens catching on the ez-jacks lines, I attach long bungees from the top most rings to the shrouds which holds the ez-jacks lines further away from the sail.
Another trick is to terminate the jacks (of whatever sort) off the mast and outboard on a spreader at the upper connection . This widens the gap between them easing the issues hoisting.
T37Chef likes this.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 05-27-2013
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road

An interesting collection of techniques! I would like to see each procedure in fast motion video!

Now for the gaff rig? Gaff comes down last.

Down
Old 05-27-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road

Early days on the dutchman. In pocess of commissioning the boat but in spite to what's said above dutchmen was easy to rig and on tests ( admittedly not offshore) seems to work just fine. looks like it will ease reefing considerably. should have better idea on friday.