We received a call this morning at 7am. A friend of ours said our boat had broken loose and had drifted over to Bird Island (a shoal you barely see at high tide) and and was listing on her port side, if we hurried we could get there before high tide and float her off.
Thankfully the night before we were at the pub until some ungodly hour and well prepare for an emergency.
We got coffee and made it to the boat in a hour by driving a little over the speed limit. There she was grounded and listing to port. On our way out I commented on the spotted bottom paint
and said to the Captain "you said no one was gonna see the bottom"
When we got on board we noted that the swivel shackle
had broken from the mooring chain. We than threw two anchors
out over the starboard side. One forward and the other off the stern, The wind was blowing and holding us tight to the rocks.
bit in and held. We than tied a fender
to the ancor lines
. We hooked the stern line
to the winch
and started slowly cranking. We also had a line
to the tender that has a 15 horse Honda on it. That took a bit but we were ready and high tide was at 10:30. by 10 the boat was back to even but we were still grounded. I got in the tender got the line
taught and gave her a yank and the Captain put her in reverse and gave her some and good scrape we are free. Back to the boat and dropped the lines over (hence the fenders
that we went backfor later).
What a morning we picked up a local mooring and fixed ours. Tomorrow we'll be back on our hook. No damage to the hull or rudder. We'll dive to look at the keel later. Not to make this sound easy because its not.there we a couple of scary moments. We pulled this off due to great communication and trust. We probably will never use a swiveled shakle again.