SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Hong Kong

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Lantau 
#1 ·
Hi there - looking to ship my beneteau oceanis 31 from the UK (vat paid) to Hong Kong.

I've found a reasonable shipping quote but was wondering what the duties will look like once it arrives in Hong Kong. Any insights?

I will be keeping the boat there permanently as I am relocating there with work.

Would there be any issues down the road when I go to sell?

Also - any suggestions on reasonable places to keep the boat once it arrives - budget is a big consideration, so happy to keep her on a mooring can / ball to keep costs down.

And finally - would there be any major refits required? Gas / electric etc?

Massive thanks in advance..

Cheers

Chuck Buck

#2 ·
A: Maybe it's too late, but I've tried to answer your questions below:

I've found a reasonable shipping quote but was wondering what the duties will look like once it arrives in Hong Kong. Any insights?

A: I'm certain you won't face any GOVERNMENT duties, but the fees will be huge for local shipping agents and so forth. I had boat equipment shipped to Hong Kong and the local fees vastly exceeded the shipping costs from the UK. Expect to pay quite a lot even if you do it yourself (which will involve traveling around to get chops on paperwork, pay different actors, etc.).

I will be keeping the boat there permanently as I am relocating there with work. Would there be any issues down the road when I go to sell?

A: To sell a boat easily in HK, you need a mooring. Finding a mooring can be very difficult indeed unless you are super rich and want to pay for a marina (read: yacht club) berth. You cannot lay your own mooring in HK, but you can anchor in many areas.

Also - any suggestions on reasonable places to keep the boat once it arrives - budget is a big consideration, so happy to keep her on a mooring can / ball to keep costs down.

A: Maybe you found a mooring already, but if not it may not be easy. They are in very short supply. You could anchor your boat someplace while waiting for a mooring, but your insurer might not like that. Note that you'll have to register the boat locally and get a local 'pleasure vessel operator' license (pass a test, which many experienced sailors fail more than once, or take a course).

And finally - would there be any major refits required? Gas / electric etc?

A: Yes. You cannot fill gas bottles in HK. No exceptions. So you'll have to change to a local bottle. The problem is that these are big (fat) and might not fit into your gas locker. Dealing with this will be a good introduction to how HK works and thinks. You will suffer some culture shock. FOLLOW PROCEDURES. That's what matters most in HK. Don't try to think logically; just follow the procedures, fill out forms completely and be prepared to pay.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.