SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

The Problem with Boat Names & Double-Enders

3K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  RickSpil 
#1 ·
From my blog -- The Problem with Boat Names & Double-Enders.

Donna Lange has just set off on her second solo circumnavigation on her Southern Cross 28, Inspired Insanity. A photo of the Donna and the boat points out one problem with painting a boat name on a double-ender. Reading across from left to right the boat's name is Inspired Insanity from the Virgin Islands. On the other hand, reading from up to down and then left to right, the name becomes Inspired Virgin from the Insanity Islands.

I am not sure where the Insanity Islands are on a chart but I have the distinct recollection of visiting once or twice.

See less See more
#3 ·
This was no accident. Around here, Boat Names often are Calligraphed to the max- the previous owner of my Boat used a Tiki Font. However, the Home Port is usually in bog-standard Block Print. (There may be some obscure CG regulation on this point.) Anyway, this calls for some doggerel:

From the "Virgin Islands", hails "Inspired Insanity"
A name chosen not for superficial profanity
A visual pun, seen as "Inspired Virgin"...
...Inspiration often leads to a Virgin urgin'
To be not a Virgin evermore
On the Insanity Islands' lonely shore.

There, you can have quite a bender
Triple Sec on a singles' Double Ender
A Virgin dreams not of triple decks
A Virgin dreams often of Triple Secs
On that lonely Insanity shore
They dream of more, and more, and more.

Mourning comes with morning bright
Dreams fade out with the night
Time to make the ship ship-shape
Hose and sponge and often scrape
And while dealing with assorted pains
Just _what_ are _those_ Gelcoat stains?

¬Erindipity

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.