SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

How 'bout it? Any Soverel owners?

49K views 57 replies 20 participants last post by  TedBaker 
#1 ·
Just got a S-36 for crusing. Any opinions on the best traits and worst traits of these boats? Maintenance tips? Improvements needed and/or made? Let's get started, shall we?

#33 ·
Just buying a 1974 Soverel 30 MkIII. Any opinions or information out there would be appreciated. All I have read so far seems to point to the older Soverel models being good sturdy boats. My intention is to cruise out of Galveston Bay and back down to Venezuela. By the way she is sloop rigged and this seems to be the way she came when new.

#34 ·
Also have a Soverel 30

I've owned our 1974 Soverel 30 Mk III for 3 years now, and in every respect I really like it, and respect very much the integrity of the design and construction. Very comfortable, safe, fast cruiser. Ours is the cutter version (even tho' now we rig her as a sloop), with shoal draft (3-1/2 ft) and a swing keel, and a Bukh (Westerbeke) 20 hp diesel motor. We cruise the Sea of Cortez, but I would have no hesitation in terms of the boat's design to go on the journey you propose. Other than the standard cruise preparations, two things I would check are: the rudder bearing plate (at the bottom of the rudder), to make sure it is tight; and the swing keel cable, pivot pin, and shackle, to make sure they are in good condition.

If you give me an email address I'll send you pics of our Soverel, since I can't post easily pics from this forum.

#38 ·
That is her. I like the idea of converting to a roller furling for the Jib. Any thoughts? It seems easier to handle for solo sailing. Also, I am trying to join the Soverel Group you recommended ealier in this forum only because you mentioned drawings! Any layout drawings or other information you would mind sharing by email would be great. Though she is in good shape, I will be doing some wiring, plumbing and cosmetic work (I am a qaulified marine electrician).
As far as the purchase, she will be mine April 25th, that is when I return to the CONUS to close the deal. I am excited and look forward to getting her out from the pier. Great photo by the way, gets one's blood flowing...Thanks so much for the information you have posted, it is informative and a bit inspiring.

Artie
arthurm1960@yahoo.com

#43 ·
Same Lines

She is pretty much the same boat. She handles well, so far. I am hoping that once she is trimmed out, she will make an easier solo sailor's boat. The diesel is the a Westerbek.

I do have some small issues, the fuel tank is out of service due to a leak when it is full. I think this is due to a rusting sensor, but need to solve that. The other is the cable for the keel board, which you told me about. It is made of galvenized wire, going to change it out to stainless once I am back. Other than that she is a great boat. A true cruiser in a small package.

#44 ·
Hi

I have not visited Sailnet for almost a year but am glad to be back. I am the owner of OPTION, a Mark Soverel designed Soverel 36 with a fin keel.

You will find that the fin keel version sails extremely close to the wind and, for a displacement hull, is excellent in light winds. So, notwithstanding all of his achievements, the fin keel Soverel 36 may be the best of all of Mark Soverel's designs. It is sad that his life ended so prematurely.

Things to look for on the fin keeled Soverel 36 which are things I had to address on OPTION - all probably due to age - are: 1) the rudder which may be water logged and in need of repair or replacement; 2) the steering quadrant may be corroded and shot, and in need of replacement; 3) the steering assembly including cable, chains and pulleys may be shot and in need of replacement; 4) the windows, a/k/a/ lights, may be in need of replacement; 5) a number of the cheek blocks on deck and on the traveler may be in need of replacement; and 6) the clutches may be shot and in need of replacememt. As an addition, asymmetrical spinnakers attached to the bow or using a spinnaker pole work well.

OPTION and Moody Blue may be the only Mark Soverel designed Soverel 36s that have not, as of today, been modified. I am aware of all but three (3) of the seven (7) fin keel boats.

With her almost new Quantum sails, OPTION is undefeated in 2010 and 2011 local PHRF events. The largest regatta she has competed in is known as the Spirit Rider Regatta. It is is an ocean race that held off the beaches of Long Beach, New York which is a Long Island community. (The O'Keefe Foundation,Inc.) Her competition included two (2) Soverel 33s and other boats some of which were crewed by Navy, Army and Fordham. OPTION won overall both in 2010 and 2011 with the fastest overall time and, in 2011, beat the 2nd place Soverel 33 by a little more than a mile. She also won the Spirit Rider Regatta in 2006, with old sails, on PHRF.

The Around Long Island was considered for 2011 but the idea was scrapped due to numerous maintenance issues. Now with an AIS receiving radio installed, along with all of last year's maintenance issues having been resolved, she is fit to look at the 2012 Around Long Island. That decision will be made in March subject to having sufficient crew.

#45 ·
Wow!

Great to hear of all of these Soverels still sailing and sailing well. I raced my 28 this past year for the first time, and she was just fine but I was TERRIBLE in the Great Chase Race at Hull Yacht Club.

The early Soverels and the later Soverels all look so different--from the "traditional" lines of the 28's and older 30's and 33's to the rocket ship lines of Mark Soverel's designs. Great boats all!

I have a bunch of videos of my boat, a MORC II version (huge cockpit, very small cabin) sailing in some great winds this past year. THE INCIDENT Oct 16, 2011 Video 1 - YouTube

#46 · (Edited)
My Grandfather bought his 1965 Soverel 28 in 1978. I grew up sailing with him in the Bahama's and the Fla. key's. In 1991, I single handled it to Belize. I left out of Key Largo, Bay side, and sailed non-stop to Isla Mujeres, rounding the dry tortugas on the north side before heading south. For two Day's in Crossing the Fla. Straight's I had a rare 20 knt. S.W. wind. In the Yucatan Channel the wind started bang'n out of the North, pushing waves up to 20 ft. Point being, on the nose or off my quarter the boat handled like a champ. 15 years ago I took out the engine, did away with the spade rudder and hung one on the stern, and have sailed it up and down the key's, thruogh creek's, draw bridges and all over the Yucatan Penninsula/ Western Carib. That boat is a CHAMPION!!! All point's, light or Heavy, I've alway's been able to put her where I want her. Anyone has questions about the older Soverel's. I've owned mine for 22 years and Been sailing/ living on her for 33.

#48 ·
Soverel 36-2 #6, Meridian, is still in action and living in the Downtown Beaufort Marina.

I'm her captain, as well as a live aboard. LOVE her. I'll post more about Meridian, as time permits. Just wanted to quickly jump in and say HI, and wave at Option's captain!

Fair winds and following seas...
Anton Ross
S/V Meridian
Beaufort, SC

#49 ·
Finally, the work on Prana has begun, a 1974 Soverel 30 MKIII. New cushions, new engine on the way. Next, rewire, new lighting, plumbing modifications then standing rgging and sails upgraded.

During the rewire I want to add new LED lighting, but keep the traditional looking brass fixtures. She has that "older boat" look in the cabin with a lot of wood. Any Ideas on the best lights for these dark boats?

I also want to replace the portlights with stainless or brass. Has anyone done this and could you suggest a brand name?

Thanks for all the advice I have received on this forum. I had three boats in mind when I came across this one. After some input from you folks and a day sail on her, I took a closer look at them all and chose the Soverel. She is a great boat.

#52 ·
Hello I just bought a Soverel 35 last year. I purchased her on the west coast of Florida and sailed her to the east coast via the Okeechobee Water Way and got to experience doing the Okeechobee Limbo. She is now docked in Stuart Florida where I am in the process of cleaning her up a bit and doing some repairs with the hopes of spending sometime on the water this summer. :)

#54 ·
She is in the water but one thing lead to another and my cleaning her up and a few repairs seemed to expand a little. We have stripped, sanded and clear coated all the interior teak. Installed new fridge and replaced the head and galley counter tops with Corion and under mount sinks with new faucets. Hatches and companionway have new glass installed and all interior cushions are being recovered. Next is a coat of cabin paint followed by painting the topside if this rainy weather will give me a break. Then we will be installing the new stanchions and bow pulpit.

We are really getting to know Osprey and enjoying making her beautiful again. I did tell my wife we need to draw a line and get out sailing but I don’t think that will happen until next summer. :)

#55 ·
I have a Soverel 37 Sloop, 1972... new to me.. 500 hours on the Westerbeke 4-107, it is still very strong! Looking for a rebuildable engine water pump... and any other engine parts.. New is nice, but as a mechanic.... I can often make a POS hummm....
Working on bringing this one back to life... Sails great!

Exterior teak is trashed after 41 years in the Florida sun... looking to replace it all with composite plastic wood/recycled plastic.. doing some testing on several products. Any ideas?? Not interested in exterior real teak anymore...rather sail...

Center board was broken off and sank deep into the mud in the mooring... (had sat for better than 15 years) finally found it, raised it with a 55gal barrel of air.. it was about 400-500 lbs.. nut buster to get it out to the shop... will restore and replace.
Ditto with "wonderful boats" but truly a labor of love...
R
Ed

#58 ·
Is your boat a ketch, or a sloop? I'm looking at a Soverel 37 for sale, in sloop configuration, but the only data I find on sailboatdata.com for the S37 is for a ketch rig. If they were factory built as sloops also, that would be reassuring to find out. However, I'm wary if the one for sail simply had the mizzen rigging removed.

I'm having trouble finding information about this boat on the Web, so any other advice would be appreciated, such as generic weak points of this model that are likely to need repair/replacement, to check when buying a boat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.