Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Soverel
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2011

Anomaly is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpope View Post
Anomaly, glad to hear you have a Soverel 33. From the photo it looks so much like my Soverel 30 Mark III (Bill Soverel, cruising version, cutter rig).
Does your boat have a tiller or a wheel?
Wheel (at the moment). It appears to be a conversion (from the original tiller) and I plan on converting back to tiller.

I wonder about the cutter rig--- I have a bail on the mast in about the right location and a deck fitting aft of the bowsprit but no sign of running backstays so I'm not sure if mine was cutter rigged originally or not. I do know that my sail plan/rig dimensions do not match what is listed on the Soverel 33 site (the table for "other" Soverel designs)....
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-23-2011
SV Pelican

Location: summer/fall in Colorado; winter/spring in Guaymas, Sonora, Mexico
tpope is on a distinguished road
Soverel specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anomaly View Post
Wheel (at the moment). It appears to be a conversion (from the original tiller) and I plan on converting back to tiller.

I wonder about the cutter rig--- I have a bail on the mast in about the right location and a deck fitting aft of the bowsprit but no sign of running backstays so I'm not sure if mine was cutter rigged originally or not. I do know that my sail plan/rig dimensions do not match what is listed on the Soverel 33 site (the table for "other" Soverel designs)....
Even though our Soverel 30 was originally rigged as a cutter & we have all the standing rigging, some years ago, before we bought it, she started being used as just a sloop with a Hood roller furling unit, jibs, genoas. This works well for us, as it frees us the foredeck space to carry a dinghy. Interesting regarding the listed specifications, as our boat too does not match exactly the Soverel database which I want to correct. It shows that our boat would have been built later than 1974, though all the documentation we got with her indicates that she is a 1974 Soverel 30 Mk III. We do have a letter from Bill Soverel to the original owner confirming the hull number, so I should be able to clarify the discrepancies in the what years cutters/sloops, fixed/swing keels, & Bill/Mark Soverel designs were built.

I'm leaving this afternoon for a week cruise with two friends from San Carlos Mexico across the Sea of Cortez to Santa Rosalia and Conception Bay (Bahia de Concepcion)
Old 03-28-2011
S/V Maracucha

Graywolf77 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Graywolf77
Just buying a 1974 Soverel 30 MkIII. Any opinions or information out there would be appreciated. All I have read so far seems to point to the older Soverel models being good sturdy boats. My intention is to cruise out of Galveston Bay and back down to Venezuela. By the way she is sloop rigged and this seems to be the way she came when new.
Old 03-28-2011
SV Pelican

Also have a Soverel 30

I've owned our 1974 Soverel 30 Mk III for 3 years now, and in every respect I really like it, and respect very much the integrity of the design and construction. Very comfortable, safe, fast cruiser. Ours is the cutter version (even tho' now we rig her as a sloop), with shoal draft (3-1/2 ft) and a swing keel, and a Bukh (Westerbeke) 20 hp diesel motor. We cruise the Sea of Cortez, but I would have no hesitation in terms of the boat's design to go on the journey you propose. Other than the standard cruise preparations, two things I would check are: the rudder bearing plate (at the bottom of the rudder), to make sure it is tight; and the swing keel cable, pivot pin, and shackle, to make sure they are in good condition.

If you give me an email address I'll send you pics of our Soverel, since I can't post easily pics from this forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graywolf77 View Post
Just buying a 1974 Soverel 30 MkIII. Any opinions or information out there would be appreciated. All I have read so far seems to point to the older Soverel models being good sturdy boats. My intention is to cruise out of Galveston Bay and back down to Venezuela. By the way she is sloop rigged and this seems to be the way she came when new.
Old 03-28-2011
SV Pelican

Soverel 30 picture

Figured out how to attach a scaled down
picture of our "Pelican", a 1974 Soverel Mk III, sailing off San Carlos/Guaymas, Mexico. Does this look like the one you're buying?

Quote:
Attached Thumbnails
How 'bout it?  Any Soverel owners?-pelicansailing_san-carlos.jpg  
Old 03-29-2011
S/V Maracucha

Thank you for the information, she looks almost like the same boat.
Old 03-29-2011
S/V Maracucha

My email is arthurm1960@yahoo.com
Old 03-29-2011
S/V Maracucha

That is her. I like the idea of converting to a roller furling for the Jib. Any thoughts? It seems easier to handle for solo sailing. Also, I am trying to join the Soverel Group you recommended ealier in this forum only because you mentioned drawings! Any layout drawings or other information you would mind sharing by email would be great. Though she is in good shape, I will be doing some wiring, plumbing and cosmetic work (I am a qaulified marine electrician).
As far as the purchase, she will be mine April 25th, that is when I return to the CONUS to close the deal. I am excited and look forward to getting her out from the pier. Great photo by the way, gets one's blood flowing...Thanks so much for the information you have posted, it is informative and a bit inspiring.

Artie
arthurm1960@yahoo.com
Old 04-03-2011

Anomaly is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Also, I am trying to join the Soverel Group you recommended ealier in this forum ]
I am trying to join too and have not heard back (been over a week) from whomever it is that has to "approve" requests to join. Anybody know anything about this process?

Thanks
Old 04-10-2011
S/V Maracucha

No response to my request to join either, maybe we could start our own.