SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

How 'bout it? Any Soverel owners?

49K views 57 replies 20 participants last post by  TedBaker 
#1 ·
Just got a S-36 for crusing. Any opinions on the best traits and worst traits of these boats? Maintenance tips? Improvements needed and/or made? Let's get started, shall we?

#2 ·
Congratulations on your new 36. They are wonderful boats. We had ours for nine years but sold her two years ago to a good friend, so we still sail her from time to time. There is a listing of owners of the Soverel 36 on the Soverel 33 website. If you haven't already, go there and connect with Dave B. Then you will be connected with all known owners of the 36. Good luck.

#3 ·
I am a Soverel 28 owner. There is a terrific batch of information for the Soverel 30 --the EARLY version---available at Hoofer Sailing - Spray: Care and Feeding of Spray

Definitely worth a look. There is a Yahoo Group for Soverel information, and it is slowly growing and adding information on Soverel's throughout the country.

Is your 36 the Mark I (Bill Soverel design) or the later designs (Mark Soverel).

The early designs appear quite traditional--the later designs look like rocket ships and are ultra lite.

Happy Sailing!

#8 ·
Just bought a Soverel 37, 1972, with cbd on ebay. Greatly surprised at how good this boat is built. No leaks. New diesel. Oldy worldy layout, big storage in lockers, solid furniture.

Next, haul/wash/paint and some minor sail and rigging work, then sail her up from Norfolk VA to Jamestown RI. Bahamas for the winter????

#9 ·
I am new to sailing.My first sailboat is a soverel 37 ketch. After a short trip around the bay with i friend i went out in the gulf of Mexico alone and was very surprised(although told it was possible) with being able to easily balance the rig,lock the wheel and go into the cabin and grab some food.The next thing that happened was the old worn jib tore and i was forced to lower the sails and motor back.

#11 ·
What is the serial number of your Soverel 36. I am the keeper of the Soverel 36 Registry and might be able to answer any questions that you have. I own a fixed keel Soverel 36 (by Mark Soverel). Your boat's hull serial number will allow me to identify it as a Mark Soverel 36 or as an earlier Bill Soverel 36. FYI, the Mark Soverel 36, all masthead sloops, was designed to compete in the SORC. The first was Moody Blue and she is till racing in the Great Lakes. There are two versions, fixed keel and centerbpoard. Even though they have identical exterior dimensions they differ in construction and performance.

#14 ·
Ahoy there,

We just got a 1973 Soverel 37 ketch. We have a guy going over her engine and wiring now to be sure everything works and she is a safe boat. We are fixing minor top side leaks and sanding the teak. Sand and paint when it gets cooler. I want to ditch the stove and operate basic galley stuff from an inverter. Our mechanic is helping us with that, too. Also want a 12 V refrigerator rather than an ice box to keep food safe. Since the stove and ice box are being 86'd, I want to re-do the cabinets to use that space. Luckily we have a friend in the cabinet business.

This is a great project because the vessel was not a disaster to start with. When my BF and his brother sailed her from Ft Myers Beach home to Punta Gorda, she was a dream. A 50 foot Hatteras threw a 6 foot wake in the ICW and Silver Lining was rock steady.

I heard a guy say that today's boats have glass as thick as a clorox bottle, and the 70s vessels are rock solid. Sounds like the Soverel is solid and tough.

Sounds like this is a really cool place where folks can talk, share tips and tricks.

Maybe there's a place for before-and-after pictures, and I'll be happy to help anyone.

Nick and Natalie

#15 ·
Hi, I believe that we may bave been in touch. I am Dave B., keeper of the Soverel 36 Registry. My Soverel 36 is a racer with a fixed fin keel and not the centerboard. If you have any specific questions feel free to ask me directly. I can say that all of my sails are made by the Quantum Design Group and have been very efficient. So, Quantum has all of my measurements and if you need to speak with someone specifically about sails for a Soverel 36, you can call the Quantum loft in Port Washington, NY. Quantum makes racing and cruising sails. In addition, my rudder got waterlogged so I had to replace it. I had to ship it and have a new one made custom because there were no exisiting records that I could find on the rudder. So, if you need a rudder get in touch and I will put you in touch with the folks who fabricated a new rudder for me.
Check your steering mechanism. When I replaced my rudder, I found that the assembly was largely fused by corrosion and had to replace it. You should climb your mast and lubricate all of the wheels as, over the years, they get dirty and stiff.

#16 ·
Its great to have this discussion of the Soverel boats. I own a 1974 Soverel 30 MKIII that is built well and performs superbly. This MKIII has the skeg mounted rudder that extends aft of the stern and the design really does give the boat excellent steering in all conditions. The original Bukh DVM 20 (Westerbeke Pilot 20) diesel, still runs strong. Even though this boat was designed as a cutter, I'm leaving her sloop rigged (with a working jib, 135 and 150 genoas) on a Hood rolller furling unit, mostly to keep the forward deck clear for our dinghy. All in all I think the Soverel is a much under recognized boat, but much valued judging by how few come on the market. A nice Soverel 33 set up for cruising had been put up for sale by its owner in June of this year in San Carlos, and it was sold within 2 months. I sail mostly in the Sea of Cortez, out of Guaymas/San Carlos, Sonora Mexico. Last spring my wife and I spent 5 weeks on our boat exploring from Guaymas to Santa Rosalia on the Baja and the splendid Baja coastline south to La Paz.

#17 ·
Hi Soverel owners

We are still at the dock. Every wire has been replaced. New centerboard cable, new batteries, new roller furling. There is a new head. We decided to go 12 v cig lighter power for the galley; truck stops are a great shopping centers for 12 v coffe pots, water boilers, tiny stoves and fry pans, not to mention TV/DVD sets, fans, lights. Also found a decent 12 v refrigerator. Don't pay marine prices!

Any suggestions on the best water filters before we drink the the onboard water?

A SSB radio is SOOOO expensive, but I need news and weather off shore. Any suggestions?

Next goal: solar or wind.....

Good sailing! N & N

#18 ·
SSB radio substitute

I get by very well with just a VHF and a Degen Worldband Radio (with SSB capabilities). We were able to pick up cruiser nets and weather all over the Sea of Cortez. The radio is compact, and costs only about $85. Degen is the brand, and we bought it online from an importer in the U.S.

#20 ·
Staysail

Do any of you have experience using a Spinnaker Staysail? My Soverel 36, OPTION, has and is rigged for one and I am wondering if her performance can be improved by using it.

I am unfamiliar with the Staysail but would use it if I knew how if it would improve performance.

Right now, OPTION has both symmetrical and asymmetrical spinnakers. So, when considering using the Staysail, is it usable with both symmetrical and asymmetrical spinnakers? And, if so, does it improve performance?

Finally, if the Staysail is an improvement, where - when the Spring arrives -can I get someone to teach my crew and I to use it?

Dave B

#21 ·
Rudder

Hi

My replacement rudder was made by Idasailor. They made it from scratch. When I pulled OPTION and before I removed the old rudder, I was required to photograph the old rudder from all angles. Then, I removed the old rudder and shipped it and the photos to Idasailor.

The new rudder had all the the angles right so that its relationship to the hull was exactly the same. Idasailor did a fantastic job. Also, the send progress report photos.

Also, I opted to stay with the steel post rudder instead of going the composite route. This I did due to not wanting to change OPTION's phrf and due to the higher cost of composites.

Dave B.

#22 ·
tpope,
I also have a Soverel 30 Mark III. I'm rebuilding the the DV20 right now. I got a used head for it from England. I was hoping maybe you have some more documentation for the boat, that you would share with me. I don't know if my is suppose to be rigged cutter or not, and would just love to see what the user manual has in it if you have one.
Andrew

#24 ·
Soverel 30 documentation

Hi Andrew,

Great to hear that you're rebuilding the DV20, and would like to hear how that goes. Mine had a new head gasket 3 years ago, and has the mechanical fuel pump removed, using just an electric one between the tank and the injector pump. No problem with it, except it always seems to take a couple of drops of my outboard gasoline (with 50:1 oil mixture) in the small hole in the air cleaner intake to aid starting if the engine has been sitting for more than a day or so. Otherwise it starts right away, and runs quite smoothly, powerfully. Do you have the manual for the engine? I do, & would be glad to help out with that.

Other documentation I have is the brochure that came with the boat. Its not really a user's guide (which I understand from other people on the YAHOO Soverel discussion group was never really developed), but it does talk about features of the boat, pics, specs, and drawings. I have these in digital form and can send them to you as jpegs or refer you to the YAHOO Soverel group, where I've posted them. Just let me know.

Good luck with the engine,
Ted

#23 ·
maintenance tips

I have a 1974 Soverel 30 Mk III, which is an absolutely great boat. She performs well & fast on every point of sail. Two things to check are:

1)the swingkeel cable/shackle and pivot pin --I replaced the quite frayed stainless cable and shackle on our boat this year (the cable was the original one, though it was evident at some point the shackle had been replaced, but not very well.

2) the bottom pivot plate for the rudder, to make sure it is tight and solid. Even though it is not weight bearing (at least on the Mk III model), is is subjected to quite a bit of lateral stresses.

Fair winds,
Ted Pope
S/V Pelican

#25 ·
DV-20 Rebuild

Thanks for the response. I'm trying to join those yahoo groups you posted to. I have the dv-20 manual found it online. We printed out the manual to a 3 ring binder and we are using it to put the motor back together. Going to be working on it this weekend maybe I'll will post a few shots. Thanks for the info about starting it and the electric pump. Hope to see the brochure. I think my setup must be cutter too becaus the mast position and smaller main sail.

Andrew

#27 ·
Hi Andrew,
Enjoyed much the photo of your taking out the DV-20 of your Soverel 30. It looks just like our motor.

The Soverel group on Yahoo I have been following for the past couple of years is t he SOVDESIGN group. Its good because there are a couple of people in it that worked with Bill & Mark Soverel where the boats were made, and they know many details that are otherwise undocumented. The link is

sovdesign : Soverel Design

If you join this group, on its home page you'll notice at the left hand side of the page a series of links. Do add your Soverel to the "Database" link. I'd created a Soverel 30 list but there are only 3 of us in it so far. Too check out the "Photo" link, especially the Soverel 30 item posted by mtlioness (my wife's username on this site) It has the pages of the brochure that originally came with our boat. If you have trouble accessing this, just let me know and I'll send you directly those photos. Or you might try going directly to the photo link

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sovdesign/photos/album/1855660590/pic/list
though I'm not sure if one can access it without joining the SOVDESIGN group

Best of luck,
Ted
Thanks for the response. I'm trying to join those yahoo groups you posted to. I have the dv-20 manual found it online. We printed out the manual to a 3 ring binder and we are using it to put the motor back together. Going to be working on it this weekend maybe I'll will post a few shots. Thanks for the info about starting it and the electric pump. Hope to see the brochure. I think my setup must be cutter too becaus the mast position and smaller main s ail.

Andrew

#28 ·
Hello All,

Just found this thread and thought I'd chime in: Last summer, I purchased a 1970 Soverel 33-1 (the Bill Soverel cruising version) and sailed her from the west coast of Florida to Rhode Island. I just signed up for the Yahoo group and look forward to learning more about these boats. I have owned many boats but nothing quite like a Soverel.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.