SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Soverel (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/soverel/)
-   -   How 'bout it? Any Soverel owners? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/soverel/46574-how-bout-any-soverel-owners.html)

thinwater 08-30-2008 01:49 PM

How 'bout it? Any Soverel owners?

Just got a S-36 for crusing. Any opinions on the best traits and worst traits of these boats? Maintenance tips? Improvements needed and/or made? Let's get started, shall we?

daniel9331 10-15-2008 09:58 AM

Congratulations on your new 36. They are wonderful boats. We had ours for nine years but sold her two years ago to a good friend, so we still sail her from time to time. There is a listing of owners of the Soverel 36 on the Soverel 33 website. If you havenít already, go there and connect with Dave B. Then you will be connected with all known owners of the 36. Good luck.

richardinhingham 11-24-2008 12:31 PM

I am a Soverel 28 owner. There is a terrific batch of information for the Soverel 30 --the EARLY version---available at Hoofer Sailing - Spray: Care and Feeding of Spray

Definitely worth a look. There is a Yahoo Group for Soverel information, and it is slowly growing and adding information on Soverel's throughout the country.

Is your 36 the Mark I (Bill Soverel design) or the later designs (Mark Soverel).

The early designs appear quite traditional--the later designs look like rocket ships and are ultra lite.

Happy Sailing!

curtdave9 12-02-2008 04:38 AM

chesbay.net/soverel26owners/articles/holes.jsp

Check this article link, its help you to know more details about this boat.

thinwater 12-02-2008 07:04 PM

Thanks to all who have responded, but the deal never closed. I hope the information that has made it here so far serves you guys well. Fair winds!

TW

racadaca 02-01-2009 01:50 PM

what about the soverel 37 ? I need a shoal draft boat. Some of these boats have done away with the centerboard,will they still point?I cant seem to get any reviews on th 37 footer.Help.

Sinuous 02-01-2009 03:39 PM

We just got a Soverel 33-1, don't know much about it yet.

Terrylad 04-12-2009 04:51 PM

Just bought a Soverel 37, 1972, with cbd on ebay. Greatly surprised at how good this boat is built. No leaks. New diesel. Oldy worldy layout, big storage in lockers, solid furniture.

Next, haul/wash/paint and some minor sail and rigging work, then sail her up from Norfolk VA to Jamestown RI. Bahamas for the winter????

soverelketch 05-14-2009 01:09 PM

I am new to sailing.My first sailboat is a soverel 37 ketch. After a short trip around the bay with i friend i went out in the gulf of Mexico alone and was very surprised(although told it was possible) with being able to easily balance the rig,lock the wheel and go into the cabin and grab some food.The next thing that happened was the old worn jib tore and i was forced to lower the sails and motor back.

soverelketch 05-15-2009 10:38 AM

My soverel 37 is a 1970 with the board pinned in the up position. She points past 45% into the wind with the new roller furling jib but with a jib bought from a friend it points even better. I lock the wheel and trim the sails so she goes strait and I am amazed how easily she is sailed.