SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Tanzer 31

15K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  Dispatch 
#1 ·
I've been looking at the Tanzer 31 as a first boat for our family but can't find much info on it. Are these good boats in terms of construction and sailing characteristics? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
I have sailed a Tanzer 22 for years but I don't know much about the 31. Tanzers were built near Montreal and the 22's and 26's at least have a reputation for being a tough, fast, little boat well designed and well built compared to others in their class. That said, they are a Great Lakes and coastal boat.

#3 ·
The Tanzer 31 was one of the last models built by Tanzer, they commissioned the design from C&C but I'd reckon very few were built. I'm sure you've seen this:

TANZER 31 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

Anyhow, one of the last C&C designs with the traditional springy sheerline, she's a handsome boat, typical fin/spade underbody and reasonable stats, 40% B/D ratio. Tanzer was known to build a pretty good boat, and this one is arguably the best looking Tanzer ever produced. I'd give it a go if it looks clean and passes survey.

#11 ·
Greetings,

I just saw your posting from July. I was planning to get the boat you got at Crates but the wife made a big fuss since I have 3 boats now. I do know a bit of history on the boat as the previous owner was a friend of the manager at West marine that I know.

Have you fixed it up yet? How bad was the big smile on the keel hull joint?

Mike from Beeton

#12 ·
Hello Mike
Yes its almost done. I have:
- Replaced the windows
- Removed refinished (oil) and replaced all the teak
- Replaced the floors
- Removed and cleaned the water and diesel tanks
- Got the engine running
- removed and restored and replaced the SS sink
- Replaced the batteries
- Stripped all the fabric from the foam, algaecided the mold from the foam, dried and am reupholstering (4 to go)
- Cleaned all the gunge from the and bilge and storage lockers then spraynined the complete interior
- Reset the LEDs in the power panel
- Cleaned out both coolers
- Designed and welded up a new aluminum mast storing cradle with rollers for the beam location
- 3m compounded the hull

And the final item I am working on a self lifting cradle system to put cradle and boat on a flat bed trailer so I can move it at will.

I investigated the keel joint before I bid on it. I have seen worse and it will need to get it refinished before the winter sets it. I also need to find a high pressure propane line. The one that runs from the tank to regulator. The original line also had a "smile" in it.

Do you have a Tanzer? The Engine looks new (the mounts are still shinning) do you know if your friend replaced it?

Thanks Andrew
Keswick

#13 ·
Greetings Andrew,

Sounds like you've been busy.

I had inspected the boat as well and have a bunch of pic's if you wanted any "before shots". The West manager had sailed on the boat and said it had the engine rebuilt and was sporting a relatively new set of sails. He said it was a rather fast boat given its sail area to displacement, was also a bit tender with the shoal draft keel. He remembered it because of the Yosemite San sticker on the transom when I showed him a shot of the stern. The keel joint had been problematic and was redone twice, I'm guessing they didn't do such a good job or didn't seal and torque the keel bolts properly. The West manager said the owner became ill and the boat had sat for a bit, but was properly cared for before that.

I was planning to bid on it, was logged in online and my finger was on the mouse, however executive management made stern declarations about my existing fleet. So I didn't bid. When it did go for what what you paid there was more spirited discussion. You got a very great deal on it. I was planning on doing fix up on it and selling off my other boats. I've already got a Siren, 21 Sirius and Nimble Arctic so I guess I can see her point on my fleet size.

Send/post up photo when you are done I love to see how it turned out.

Regards...

Mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.