tanzer 25 - Page 3 - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 27 Old 03-16-2016

Re: tanzer 25

Hey all I am looking at purchasing a Tanzer 25 Shoal Keel, never sailed a shoal always regular fin keel, was going to use it on Lake Simcoe, do you guys feel thats a good idea or should i up for a deeper draft?
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 27 Old 12-18-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainkriz View Post
I'm aware of 7 that have inboards, there are probably more. I'm only aware of two with wheel steering, Asylum (ob/fin) and Gunner (ib/fin).
I own Asylum as of late summer 2016. The boat has wheel steering, harken roller furler, built in A/C, shoal draft. I can't seem to get the boat up to speed under sail for some reason so far. Sailed it about 3 or 4 times is all. Need to do something like lower the top lifelines to keep the headsail off them. Sailed in about 10-15 knots wind twice. Any help with this boat would be great.
post #23 of 27 Old 2 Weeks Ago

Don't be crazy..... you never want lift a sail - and lowering the is not safe, they are there for a reason. Should you do so and have a problem you will not forgive yourself and your insurer will probably not cover you - any surveyor will also require they be returned to std to pass survey. I owned a T25 for 11 years, and wouldn't change a thing anbout the basic boat and layout. They are capable of extraordinary speeds on all points of sail, and can handle more wind and waves than most skippers. I regularly hit speeds well in excess of 10nt under spin or on a good reach. With a good crew and skipper they can easily beat boats as big as CS30 and C&C33.... boat for boat; I even beat boats much larger and faster than that when on the ball - taking an F3 across the line a number of times each yr. JuJube - T25 # 49 still holds many PHRF records

Last edited by JuJube; 2 Weeks Ago at 08:05 AM.

post #24 of 27 Old 2 Weeks Ago

If you have not bought yet go for the fin for sure. It is a very moderate draft and should be no problem on Lake Simco. The shoal will just slow you down and make things a little squirley down wind at higher speeds.
post #25 of 27 Old 2 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd177 View Post
I own Asylum as of late summer 2016. The boat has wheel steering, harken roller furler, built in A/C, shoal draft. I can't seem to get the boat up to speed under sail for some reason so far. Sailed it about 3 or 4 times is all. Need to do something like lower the top lifelines to keep the headsail off them. Sailed in about 10-15 knots wind twice. Any help with this boat would be great.
Different 25 foot boat, but my top lifeline joins the bow rail at the same place the lower does, Gives. clearance for the headsail.
LOL what a load of horse droppings!

That is a horse head in the box. Not an alien!
post #26 of 27 Old 2 Weeks Ago

No horse droppings here.... have your clubs PHRF rep look up the historical data on JUBUBE out of BHYC. You will see she sailed 153 below her rating for her best series.... that being a GHYRA double handed 5 races - and that was back when the boats rated 165. This is clear indisputable data on record with PHRF-LO. These boats are easy to sail, not so easy to sail fast.... however; when you get it right they are rockets! Best run was from CCIW tower in Burlington to the niagara mark - 1 hr 59 min planing under spin the entire way. JuJube was fully race equipped with UK tape drive racing sails, 3 spin's, faird keel and rudder, upgraded winches, backstay adjuster, adjustable mail traveler and upgrades sheet, and full racing bottom
post #27 of 27 Old 2 Weeks Ago

Properly trimmed the headsail be well inside the lifelines upwind.... slightly off resting against.... on a beam or downwind it will be on the lifelines - a non issue and is so on most boats unless the sails are cut high or changes have been made to the safety equipment (lifelines) this I would never do and have been a survayor for over 25 yrs. Hey - enjoy your boat - one of the best 25's ever built!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.