SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Tartan (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/tartan/)
-   -   looking for info on replacing the water tank on a t30 (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/tartan/100259-looking-info-replacing-water-tank-t30.html)

abrahamx 06-07-2013 04:44 PM

looking for info on replacing the water tank on a t30

Just trying to see what is involved in replacing the water system in a t30

Patina 06-16-2013 09:23 AM

Re: looking for info on replacing the water tank on a t30

Are you trying to replace the whole system or just the tank? I have the aft galley layout with the water tank under the starboard settee. I had a leak on the tank where the supply for the head exits the tank forward. I was able to repair it without pulling the tank, but space was very limited. Just wondering why you are replacing the tank?

abrahamx 06-16-2013 01:46 PM

Not totally sure I was just looking for info. I have not bought the boat yet but probably will pending a good survey in two days. the owners said in add that it needs water system. Now I think all it needs is a repair or liner/membrane. Thands for your reply.

Faster 06-16-2013 02:49 PM

The biggest issue with this type of job is always going to hinge on accessibility.. Are the tanks built in to the extent that demolition is required to R&R?.. Is there access and reasonable routing for water lines? Are stock tanks available that will 'fit'?

In many cases the answers to these questions will not be positive. If demo is needed, how big a deal is reassembly? If cutting out moulded liners is called for, getting back to the original appearance will be tough. The older Tartans are more likely to be partially 'stick built' which should help, but casing out all these issues ahead of time and having a plan is where you should start.

Failing metal tanks are most problematic, I think. A friend had rotten steel fuel tanks.. Because of the way the boat was built he had to zip cut the old out in pieces, and then had to reinstall much less tankage due to the poor access and inability to slip similar tanks back in place.

Ask during the survey... The surveyor should be able to point out these kinds of issues and may suggest a viable plan.

Patina 06-16-2013 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abrahamx (Post 1044701)
Not totally sure I was just looking for info. I have not bought the boat yet but probably will pending a good survey in two days. the owners said in add that it needs water system. Now I think all it needs is a repair or liner/membrane. Thands for your reply.

I can tell you that on my T-30 ('77), replacing the water lines is relatively doable, and I've done it. What is more difficult is replacing the tank. There are two versions of the T-30, one with the galley midship and the other has the galley aft on the starboard side. My T-30 is the aft galley model with the water tank under the starboard settee, just ahead of the the galley. I dont know where the water tank is for the mid galley version. The water tank was installed in the hull prior to the inner interior liner being installed, so removing the tank would require a lot of cutting to get it out. These tanks have plastic fittings that can freeze and leak if not properly winterized. Replacing the forward fitting on my tank fixed the leak. The tank on my T-30 is poly, not metal.

I'm no Tartan expert, but I have learned a lot about my T-30. Shoot me a note if I can help.