SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Tartan (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/tartan/)
-   -   T30 anchor locker (or lack thereof) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/tartan/104140-t30-anchor-locker-lack-thereof.html)

wristwister 09-26-2013 05:15 PM

T30 anchor locker (or lack thereof)
 
My new-to-me Tartan 30 has what appears to be a perfect anchor locker up front, but no access to the deck. Seems like a pretty simple job to cut a hole in the deck and install a hawse pipe. I'd probably also want to do some sort of drainage, and support at the base of the locker for the chain. But before I break out the sawz-all and carve into my pristine deck, figured I'd check with my fellow Tartanites. Couple questions:

Do all T30's have no access like this?

Any problems with my plan to carve a hole and install a hawse pipe?

If I simply drill a drain hole in the bottom of the anchor locker, which appears to be part of the inner hull liner, will it just drain to the bilge? Or do I need to get fancier with a drain line?

Any other words of wisdom on this subject?

Thanks

Faster 09-26-2013 06:20 PM

Re: T30 anchor locker (or lack thereof)
 
If you're going to create an anchor locker, I'd investigate creating a real one.

The typical capped 'hawse pipe' can be a royal PITA to use, causing hangups on the drop and presenting difficulty stuffing the rode back down on retrieval. An open anchor locker is a much better solution, but it is a bit more work.

On a previous anchor-locker-less boat we checked things out, and determined we could create an actual proper locker. Glassing in a floor and drilling a drain for the area was simple enough.. we did that while we still used the hawse pipe fitting. It's a good idea for peace of mind when the bow's digging into a wave in some chop.

When we did a major refit including deck paint we decided to add a lazarette access locker and a proper anchor locker. For the anchor locker we drilled a starter hole in the deck that would end up being the rope-exit from locker to cleat. We then marked out the extend of the 'lid' that we cut out of the original deck, and carefully cut that out with a sabre saw. The core was removed from the resulting raw edges, back filled with f/g and sealed, then support ledges attached underdeck and hinges installed. Since we'd previously installed a draining floor we were essentially done. Since we were painting the new non skid pattern outlined the locker lid and it ended up looking original.

We also had, at that time, the typical cutout in the forward bulkhead to access that area. We covered it with a drop board for aesthetic reasons, but added another (internal) drop board on the anchor side to discourage any random water finding its way into the V berth. It worked well, and we never regretted doing that job. It's a bit of work, but well worth it in the end.

Think about it.... ;)


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:34 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012