Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Tartan
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2013

wristwister is on a distinguished road
T30 anchor locker (or lack thereof)

My new-to-me Tartan 30 has what appears to be a perfect anchor locker up front, but no access to the deck. Seems like a pretty simple job to cut a hole in the deck and install a hawse pipe. I'd probably also want to do some sort of drainage, and support at the base of the locker for the chain. But before I break out the sawz-all and carve into my pristine deck, figured I'd check with my fellow Tartanites. Couple questions:

Do all T30's have no access like this?

Any problems with my plan to carve a hole and install a hawse pipe?

If I simply drill a drain hole in the bottom of the anchor locker, which appears to be part of the inner hull liner, will it just drain to the bilge? Or do I need to get fancier with a drain line?

Any other words of wisdom on this subject?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-26-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: T30 anchor locker (or lack thereof)

If you're going to create an anchor locker, I'd investigate creating a real one.

The typical capped 'hawse pipe' can be a royal PITA to use, causing hangups on the drop and presenting difficulty stuffing the rode back down on retrieval. An open anchor locker is a much better solution, but it is a bit more work.

On a previous anchor-locker-less boat we checked things out, and determined we could create an actual proper locker. Glassing in a floor and drilling a drain for the area was simple enough.. we did that while we still used the hawse pipe fitting. It's a good idea for peace of mind when the bow's digging into a wave in some chop.

When we did a major refit including deck paint we decided to add a lazarette access locker and a proper anchor locker. For the anchor locker we drilled a starter hole in the deck that would end up being the rope-exit from locker to cleat. We then marked out the extend of the 'lid' that we cut out of the original deck, and carefully cut that out with a sabre saw. The core was removed from the resulting raw edges, back filled with f/g and sealed, then support ledges attached underdeck and hinges installed. Since we'd previously installed a draining floor we were essentially done. Since we were painting the new non skid pattern outlined the locker lid and it ended up looking original.

We also had, at that time, the typical cutout in the forward bulkhead to access that area. We covered it with a drop board for aesthetic reasons, but added another (internal) drop board on the anchor side to discourage any random water finding its way into the V berth. It worked well, and we never regretted doing that job. It's a bit of work, but well worth it in the end.

Think about it....

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.