Tartan 3700 issues, PLEASE! - SailNet Community
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 42 Old 12-15-2014 Thread Starter
Sam

Tartan 3700 issues, PLEASE!

For the last two years I’ve been looking at sailboats trying to decide on my first one. I’ve read books, researched the internet, I’ve done comparisons. I’ve sailed different ones. I’ve read when you see it, you’ll just know it. It will just grab you. That happened this weekend. My wife and I traveled to one of our favorite places, Fernandina Beach, FL. We attended the Trans-Siberian Orchestra concert in Jacksonville last Thursday night (been following them for the past 10 years). When we got to Fernandina, one of the first places I went was the marina downtown. Walking toward the dock I passed a fellow wearing a shirt with the name “Serenity”. I figured it must have been the name of his boat. The name caught my attention because that was the name I had in mind for my boat when I would get one (just in case I couldn’t live with the name it already had). I looked at several boats just to compare and get ideas. Then I saw her, “Serenity”. She was the most beautiful boat I have ever laid eyes on. She was a Tartan 3700. Blue hull, well equipped and well maintained. I googled the Tartan 3700 and low and behold found out this boat was featured in the 2004 Miami Boat Show!
You ever met a fine lady that was just out of your league? I did once before, it was my wife. Due to momentary lapse of good judgement on her part and possibly poor eyesight (I’ve never taken her to get her eyes checked since we met) we were wed 34 years ago. The cost of a boat like this presently is above my budget. My wife and I do have an exit plan for the sale of our business in the not too distant future and then we could afford something of this class. But until then, I need to get my objectivity back. I changed from an analytical thinker to a Goo Goo Ga Ga 56 year old kid over the weekend. Somebody help. Tell me bad things about a Tartan 3700…Please!
MastUndSchotbruch likes this.

Last edited by Sam; 12-15-2014 at 12:33 AM.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 Old 12-15-2014
turophile

Re: Tartan 3700 issues, PLEASE!

because you asked:

http://my.boatus.com/consumer/pdf/20...sAftermath.pdf

more info:

http://my.boatus.com/consumer/pdf/20...ThatCounts.pdf

Last edited by mr_f; 12-15-2014 at 01:09 AM. Reason: added second link
The Following User Says Thank You to mr_f For This Useful Post:
Sam (12-15-2014)
post #3 of 42 Old 12-15-2014
Windseeker

Lol Pretty though!

That was the issue that had me worried about tightening my rig for years....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to theonecalledtom For This Useful Post:
Sam (12-16-2014)
post #4 of 42 Old 12-15-2014 Thread Starter
Sam

mr_f, thanks for the slap! I know it's a pretty boat but now you gave me some insight that helps me see a little more objectively! I guess what I'm looking for is something built like a Mack truck that sails like a Porsche and has the roominess of a 69 Cadillac. Safety, seaworthiness is the top priority. Followed by ease of sail for one.
post #5 of 42 Old 12-15-2014

sam...

What's your budget?

Rockter
post #6 of 42 Old 12-15-2014
The most female moderator

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
...I changed from an analytical thinker to a Goo Goo Ga Ga 56 year old kid over the weekend. Somebody help. Tell me bad things about a Tartan 3700…Please!
I did the absolute same thing over a different boat. I'm pretty sure I felt drool on my chin. We're going for it.

Before you cross the Tartan off the list, PM T37Chef. He is good about answering questions.

I say: Don't discount what your drool tells you.

Donna

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Catalina 30 TRBS
Rock Hall, MD
KB3ZCB

If you're helping someone and expecting something in return, you're doing business not kindness.
The Following User Says Thank You to Donna_F For This Useful Post:
Sam (12-16-2014)
post #7 of 42 Old 12-15-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
I did the absolute same thing over a different boat. I'm pretty sure I felt drool on my chin. We're going for it.

Before you cross the Tartan off the list, PM T37Chef. He is good about answering questions.

I say: Don't discount what your drool tells you.
Boats are dumb. I am dumb. I keep buying boats. I've never purchased I boat that didn't cause me to drool.

I'm not defending the builder in this case, not enough data; however, boats are built by people, not machines. The layup process is manual. I would not eliminate a builder based these stories. One boat could be bad, another perfect depending on the build crew. I'd do my research, is this a design issue or build issue? I would go in depth on the particular boat I was considering, do a complete survey with the best surveyor I could find, talk to the builder about it, talk to owners about it, etc. A complete due diligence.

Concerns about saildrives, for example, have more to do with sail drives than the builder. I'm not a fan, but plenty of people have good experiences when they do the proper maintenance.

But I wouldn't even start this activity unless I was already drooling, and if you are honest with yourself, no boat makes financial sense. Go get one anyway, life is short.
seaner97 likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to capecodda For This Useful Post:
Sam (12-15-2014)
post #8 of 42 Old 12-16-2014 Thread Starter
Sam

I still can't get that boat out of my mind. The hull issues posted were published in 2009 concerning a boat that was built in 2005. The hull separation happened the year after being built. "Serenity" OK, let me stop. Serenity is not for sale and it is wrong to covet thy neighbor's boat. I should say another boat (that looks just like Serenity) 2004 3700 Tartan that is on the water today would, in my humble opinion, have passed the test of time. After awhile, reality sneaks back in and I know that NO boat is perfect. But this one did check all the boxes for me and added some I hadn't even thought about. Beautiful, just beautiful. Thanks Capecodda for your post. I appreciate you frankness and wisdom.
post #9 of 42 Old 12-16-2014

Reality is, if you like the boat, buy it!

Boats are like women, or men I suppose.....there is one for every one!

Overall, Tartan has built very nice boats, a step up from the more common price point ones. I would call it a Cadillac if you are looking at vehicles per say vs a chevy. Lincoln vs Ford.

Marty
Sam likes this.

She drives me boat,
I drives me dinghy!
The Following User Says Thank You to blt2ski For This Useful Post:
Sam (12-16-2014)
post #10 of 42 Old 12-16-2014
Windseeker

I wouldn't rule the model either but there are other manufacturers and models out there that are also both comfortable and somewhat salubrious. Look at Sabre (the 362 for example) or the J109. Going a bit older in the same price bracket the Sabre 38 also stands out - I've only been on a couple of their boats but the joinery was excellent on both. Performance for both Sabres should be similar to the 3700, the 109 is a significant step up in performance, going to be a bit more skittish to sail though.

It is only wrong to covet your neighbor's boat in secret.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.