Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Tartan
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2009

Ricemarket is on a distinguished road
I know this is an older topic but I was wondering what did you two in Toronto eventually get, and what YC or marina did you choose? I am in Toronto and contemplating exactly the same things you guys have!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-20-2009

daveyjustin is on a distinguished road
cheap liveaboard

I'm 23 in Toronto and have no money. I work full time in the service industry. I managed to find an old fiberglass folkboat 25. It needs work, and has limited gear and electronics, but the price was right. The previous owners are very nice and took my low offer, because they'd already bought their new alberg 30.
I'm not living on the boat yet but I have given my landlord notice, and will be on the boat come May. My advice, as naive as it may be at this early stage, is JUST DO IT with what you have. These forums have been enormously helpful, as have all the other sailors I've met recently.
Old 03-20-2009

daveyjustin is on a distinguished road
to NOTE!
I was first considering a larger boat and going further, but upon the advice of my buddy Stephane, who is currently circumnavigating on a contessa 26, i've decided to scale back a bit. He first did some southern cruising on a trimaran before buying his contessa.
I've bought a small boat, will do the repairs and outfitting myself, therein learning the ins and outs of the boat, and then finally take this little boat on some extended cruises on the great lakes, home to Nova Scotia, and eventually south. After this experience, I may have my fill, but if not I'll be much more prepared to buy larger (or not) and go further.
Without getting ahead of myself, as life has a tendency to alter plans suddenly, I'm honestly very much looking forward to working on the boat and getting my hands dirty.

Good luck deciding! I hope I'll see you out there on the lake one day.
Old 07-24-2009

ramminjammin is on a distinguished road
I have owned a Tartan 30 tall rig for 2 years
I would sail this boat anywhere , although I don't really know much about it. For the coast in 20 knots and swells 10 to 30 feet she does well. If you get caught in the wrong time and place it won't matter what your are in !
For coast crusing you can always get in out of harms way and speed is a help there
The cabin is quite small compared to a 35 foot boat, a Hughes 35, Tartan 34 is quite spaceous in comparison
Heat is going to be a problem in the winter, I installed a propane furnace and after Oct it cant produce enough heat and the winter here in Nova Scotia is milder than TO.

My boat is very solid for her age, the rig seems strong. The rudder needs replacing or rebuilding, it lasted 34 years ! I would guess that the amount of resin/fiberglass used back in the 70's is way more than what they use at present. If it is a solid hull and deck you have a great platform to build on with a Tartan 30, and you can pick up a good one in the $12,000 range.
It's funny when you read about boat depreciation, they sold a 1975 Tartan 30 for 12 k in 1975, 1985, 1995, and 2005

Last edited by ramminjammin; 07-24-2009 at 10:40 AM.