Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Tartan
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2009

doctormase is on a distinguished road
Tartan 33

I am looking into buying a 1981 Tartan 33. This would be the first boat for my wife and I. The boat seems in great condition.
From what I have read on previous posts people are very happy with the 33 and it has a great track record.

There is some leakage around the cabin windows and the broker told me I should remove the teak laminate and seal off the interior properly around the windows and replace with either teak of a laminate material. Does this sound like a reasonable fix, or should I be worried about more water damage?

Any advice for specific weak spots I need to look at?

Thank you,

Jon
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-17-2009

t33Cirrus is on a distinguished road
Jon,

I have a 1980 T-33, #60 and I replaced the ports and cabin liner 3 years ago. Beckson still makes the ports and has very good installation instructions. My teak liner was delaminated and had to be replaced. It is epoxied to the deck mold so it must be overlaid. You must trim the headliner battens and remove the bottom rail and grab rails. I used White FRP panels and it lightened up the entire boat. The real chore is to remove all the old silicone sealant. Yes, every speck. Silicone will not stick to itself. I finally found a silicone remover at the hardware store and it worked like a charm. The T-33 is built like a rock, but after 28 years, the original sealant has reached it's limit and will need replacement, as evidenced by your leaking ports. You can plan to remove everything from the deck and re-bedding it in the next few years.

Randy
Old 04-06-2011

ambrielt33 is on a distinguished road
I have a 1980 t33 that I just bought last yr. Hull #50. I couldn't de happier with it. It also was in great condition. The cabin ports
had been replaced. The previous owner did it. He said the original ones started to leak. There is some evidence of water stain under rum but not very noticeable. This is my first sailboat but I think it is great.9
Old 06-06-2012

t33-Grace is on a distinguished road
Re: Tartan 33

Our T33 hull #40 goes by the name Grace. She also has had her ports replaced. She's a great sailor as well as a good looker with much life left in her.