Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Tartan
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2010

bellcookie is on a distinguished road
Hatch Replacement

I have a 1978 30ft Tartan and my Vberth hatch flew off last month. I desperatly want to replace it with an original. Does anyone have any ideas. I hate the thought of cutting into the decking to replace it with a new one and hate the idea of a home depot hand made with plexiglass. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Maureen
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-02-2010
Sailing Junkie

ehmanta is on a distinguished road
Hi Maureen,
This is Tom. I PM'd you but I think you need more posts to recieve them?? Anyway, I'm glad you got a boat now Don can go up to Wintergreen to do the "guy" thing with John and you can do something fun and go sailing
Barbara's cousin has a T-30.....maybe you can copy her hatch and do your first fiberglass fabrication project

Cheers,
Tom
Old 09-03-2010

Tom,
Unbeleivable I post a message on this board and the only person that replies is someone I know personally. I dock the boat just north of Baltimore I have had it for about a year and share it with a guy that wanted to buy it but couldn't afford it on his own. The title is in my name and he pretty much is my deck hand when ever I need one. I have been to Rock hall twice and up and down the Middle River and local area. I just contracted someone to make me a custom hatch out of teak. He is doing a prototype in pine first. I hope it looks okay. My preference is to keep it all original. I love this boat. The guy that owned it before me removed the tiller and installed a wheel and it has all the electronics I need, autopilot, radio etc. I love this boat. I want to upgrade to a boat with a bed I can walk around, air conditioning, hot water and refigieration. I think I might need to wait to retire before I go there. You are so right about Don he is enjoying time with Don when i go to the boat. He has no interest in the sailboat what so ever. Now if it was a carver motor boat he would be all over it. The sailboat is too cramped for him and too much work. I on the other hand love it. I can just go there with my PC and hang out watching the sunset in the peach and quiet and tranquility. I wish I had more time to get the template from Barbara's cousin to create the template for the hatch and make a fiberglass hatch myself. I can't believe someone hasn't already done this. Have you heard of bakers sales in Annapolis? They have a lot of used parts but it is a hit or miss place. There is also a salvage yard somewhere in Baltimore that has a lot of used sailboat stuff, however they are open during sparatic hours. I hope all is well with you and Barbara and hope you have great students this year. Be well Tom. Not sure about the boat show this year, it all depends on what is going on at work.

Maureen
Old 09-03-2010

Oh forgot to tell you it is a starboard side galley
Old 09-07-2010
Sailing Junkie

ehmanta is on a distinguished road
Same layout as Teri's boat. Do you have the Atomic 4 as well? Some T-30's have converted to a diesel by now, but the A-4 is a great engine with plenty of power and it's quiet to boot.....just be careful of the gas fumes
Where North of Charm City? My mother used to keep her boat in Middle River years ago. Barbara and I should be heading up that way, but it won't be 'till next year sometime....work gets in the way. Bummer.