Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Tartan
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2011
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
The false concept of a "guillotine board" might work on a Catalina 22, but you should research the functionality of the Tartan board before making a misleading comment like that.
Old 05-05-2011

DanBR is on a distinguished road
Thanks for all the quick responses. I appreciate everyone taking the time. I agree with both sides to some degree. My biggest concern was stability. Do most of you agree that a glassed in centerboard will not affect the stability? I understand that the boat will not point as high without the board down, but I didn't think 5 degrees was that big of a deal. Am I right with that assumption? Does the lack of centerboard affect speed or diminish the performance on any other point of sail other than close hauled? For example, does the lack of down centerboard affect the speed or overall performance on say a beam reach? Also, will the boat roll more and be less comfortable to sail on?

One other concern I have is resale value. If I sell the boat someday prospective buyers will surely be thinking the same thing I am thinking right now. Thus hurting the chances of selling it at its suggested value or even selling it at all.

I really don't want to buy a boat where I have major repairs such as fixing a centerboard that has been glassed over, so I don't think I would do that. Plus from what I have read it is fairly expensive to restore a centerboard. Anyone have any idea how expensive this is?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by T37SOLARE View Post
The centerboard on the T-37 just has enough weight to allow it to drop, so it really does not add anything to the stability. It does allow you to point a good 5-7 deg higher with less leeway, balance the helm on a reach and with it up on a run you'll see a good bump in your speed do to the reduced resistance.

But with all that said, the T-37 is a very capable boat with or without the centerboard and I would not hesitate cruising the Caribbean in one.
SOLARE,

Is the increased leeway due to lack of centerboard significant or minimal? Is the 5-7 degrees a big issue? Would you say that the boat is more tender without the lowered centerboard?
You would not hesitate cruising in a T37 without a centerboard? Last question, if the Phrf for a T37 averages 132 what would it be approximately without a centerboard. Just trying to get an understand just home much the performance is compromised.
Old 05-05-2011
Sailing Junkie

ehmanta is on a distinguished road
I guess I'll chime in as well....Dan, I believed you also posted on the Tartan 37 website??
What I said there also echoes what Solare is saying here. I've had our T-37 for 16 years now and I can tell you, we only use our board about 5% of the time, even going to weather. Sure, the board helps out pointing, but unless you are really trying to tack through 80-85 degrees, you don't need it. Without the board we tack throu 90-95 degrees, no problem...even closer if it's blowing above ten knots. The fixed part of the keel is fairly long, about 8ft or so at the bottom, and leeway is not that noticable either and I don't think the board significantly improves leeway. This boat has a 48% ballast/displacement ratio so she's quite stable....check out the other specs and you'll see she's quite respectable.
All that said, I wouldn't hesitate buying the boat but just make sure it is priced accordingly, maybe 10K less than others of the same vintage and degree of repair?
I am guessing it is hull #2 that you are buying? This is(was)the yacht "Tigger"(later renamed), which circumnavigated and lost it's board in the Pacific and they glassed over the slot. Must not have been too bad if they continued on with their circumnavigation.
Hope this helps,
Tom

Last edited by ehmanta; 06-02-2011 at 06:57 AM.
Old 05-05-2011

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Just adding my $.02

Glassed over centerboard wouldn't be a deal breaker for me knowing how the boat sails without it down.

If a thorough survey goes good, don't let the centerboard thing stop you. Did you ask the PO why they glassed it over? Maybe it could be undone, for all we know its because they didn't want the maintenance aspect of it? Worst case, its because the penet pipe has failed or something structural?

I am not familiar with the T31 first hand so add much, but I would think the additional size would be most appealing

Last edited by T37Chef; 05-05-2011 at 05:11 PM.
Old 05-05-2011

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Are Tartan 37's that rare that one would have to opt for a owner modified one? Or is it that the price is really attractive?
It seems to me that there are a glut of used sailboats on the market. I for one would opt for a boat that was well maintained in it's originally designed configuration.
If someone glassed over the centerboard because they didn't want to maintain it or because they didn't maintain it, that would signal a red flag for me.
Old 05-06-2011

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Good point Knothead
Old 05-06-2011

Thanks everyone I think I'm going to keep looking. The seller was not real clear about the reasoning and I think its best that I find another boat that has not be modified.