SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Tartan (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/tartan/)
-   -   Tartan 31 upgrades (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/tartan/74596-tartan-31-upgrades.html)

DanBR 05-19-2011 09:34 AM

Tartan 31 upgrades

I am considering purchasing an 89 Tartan 31. It is in very good condition as far as the hull, interior, cosmetically, and I've been told there have never been any blisters. The negative part is that it has original sails and mast. The standing rigging was replaced 12 years ago and the running rigging is very stiff. The bottom was painted 18 months ago and I imagine that needs to be done too.

I know I will have to replace the sails. What will that cost?

Do I have to replace the mast? How much is that?

Do I have to replace the standing rigging that was replaced 12 years ago. If so, How much is that?

How much is it to replace the running rigging?

How much is the bottom painting? If I do it myself vs. having someone else do it.

I'm just looking for ballparks here to use in an argument to negotiate price.

ehmanta 05-24-2011 10:36 AM

You'll need to carefully examine the condition of the sails to see if they have been used a lot. Some sails could be old, but unused and still decent. If you need to replace, I'm guessing around $2500 +/- for a name brand dacron sail for a 31ft boat. Your mast shouldn't need replacing unless it is showing severe corrosion and is in danger of snapping at the spreaders. My Tartan 37mast is original and still looking good after 34 years.
"They" say you should replace your standing rigging every ten years, but realistically, you should get many more years than that out of your rigging. If you race, then you may want to stick to a more conservative schedule.
I replaced my rigging myself using StaLok terminals for the lowers and swagged terminals for the upper connection, new turnbuckles and I think it was around $2K (?). My memory isn't coming up with a figure, but I think it was near that. On a 31 ft'r I'm sure it would be less by a few hundred.
Bottom paint for your boat, your looking at $70-$250/gal depending if it's a name brand vs store brand, ablative vs hard, single season vs multi-season.
Your boat probably only needs one gallon. Some boat yards do not allow you to paint your own bottom, so you'll need to check their policies.

Did you get a good surveyor to check this vessel over? If not, you should....money well spent.
Good luck and fair winds.
Tom

blakew1 08-02-2011 03:58 PM

I have a 1989 Tartan 31, great boat! I replaced my genoa with a Quantum 140% cruising sail for around $1800, the mainsail was around $2400
I usually spend about $700 when I paint the bottom. This includes haulout cost, 1 1/2 gallons of Interlux Micron CSC, and accessories like sandpaper, acetone, etc.
My standing rigging is also about 12 years old but it seems to be in good shape as the previous owner didn't use the boat very often. I may look into replacing it in a few years.

Definitely get a survey..

Newport1 08-07-2011 11:14 AM

I'm considering looking a a Tartan 31 for use as a daysailor around Narragansett bay/Long Island sound, with a few 3-7 day trips to other New England /Midlantic destinations. Much of my daysailing would be single handed. Do you think this is an optimum boat to consider, or should I be looking at larger boats, such as Hinkley Pilot 35's. I have raced J-24's and other non-cruising dingies and this would be my first inboard /cruising boat. My concerns revolve around the ease of operation in single-handed sailing for any boat considered. Any comments are welcome.

Thanks